First Trip Out with Deb

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Dan from Troup, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Been kinda busy lately going through our new to us Starcraft Popup and take our first overnighter at a local Jellystone Park. Local state park filled up. Did a couple of good changes so far in prepping it for camping mode. Replaced lift cable and pulley, installed new tires, repacked wheel bearings, replaced leaking sink supply lines with SS, replaced propane regulator and pigtail and replaced marine battery as well as install a 30amp/120v plugin at my electric pole for shore power. Also changed out ceiling light bulbs with led. Saturday night is our grand voyage.

fourhallatts, jnc, DJS12354 and 8 others like this.
  2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Good luck! Can't wait to hear how it went!

3. michigan_camper

michigan_camper Member

The LED lights are so much brighter for us in our new camper than the old type were. I assume they draw less power too, but I'm always hooked up to power anyway.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Sounds like you have "made it your own" as well as doing what needed to be done. Good Luck and Happy Camping.

5. Dan from Troup

Thanks guys. It’s amazing how much more complex this camping system is once you have gas, water and electricity. Been a lifelong tent camper so this is a whole new experience. The learning curve seems to never end once you step up to an RV, even if it’s only a popup. We still haven’t got the bunk end covers, awning replacement or even a big ground rug yet but the basics have been gone thru now and everything is operational and has had a good cleaning. Been set up now for 3 weeks at home as I’be been cleaning and repairing things and has passed the most important test; it’s leakproof. We’ve had some heavy rains lately and nary a drop. Anyway, looking forward to a first overnighter. This is our shakedown trip as we’ll be towing it 500 miles round trip to Austin, Tx for Thanksgiving as we camp out in our son’s driveway for a few days.

jnc, DJS12354 and Orchid like this.
  6. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Good luck and have fun. I tell people if you get half as much enjoyment as DW and I have from our Pup and now TT, you're in for one heck of a good time! [:)C]

7. TAMMI

TAMMI Member

Yes I have and THANK YOU for your encouragement.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Yes it is a learning curve, but for us wasn't too bad - we haven't gone really complicated though. We changed equipment through the years, and even one pup to another resulted in more "stuff". TT is a bit more complicated, since we now have a fresh water and waste tanks, plus a refrigerator. Part of our learning curve has been tow vehicles and timing on long trips. Packing the vehicle has gotten a little easier from tents though pups and into the TT. Still not simple, since we tote backpacking and/or day hiking supplies in it, and we no longer can use the roof top carrier.

9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I found it was just a lot to learn at once, but none of it was real complicated.

Enjoy your driveway camping and family for Thanksgiving! I'm glad Deb is doing well!

Dan from Troup likes this.
  10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Can't wait to hear how it went. Hope you and Deb have an absolutely amazing time and a great Thanksgiving! I love bringing our own guest room when visiting. :smiley:

11. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Safe travels and happy camping!

12. Dan from Troup

Yes Deb is doing well and hope she likes the camping trip. Tonight we’re making chili to take for tomorrow nights dinner...heat and serve. Curious how our little Toby will do. He’s our 9 year old Morkie and is a bit of a yapper sometimes.

Probably won’t use the shower yet as I found a seam in the lower wall section that has a butt joint and is only caulked with silicone and the caulking is split at the seam. So I’m thinking about installing a section of eternabond tape and overlaying the joint. And I also want to do the vertical adjustable pole for a showerhead mount for stand-up showering.

Anyway kinda excited to get it out and use it now. Deb’s treatments and surgery are all nearly over as we can get out now and do some camping this winter and spring.

DJS12354 and Pommom70 like this.
  13. Pommom70

Pommom70 New Member

I just got started on Deb’s road, halfway through my treatments. Glad to see she is doing well.

14. generok

generok Well-Known Member

If you think about it, a car is exceptionally complex... climate control systems, cruise control systems, lighting systems, engine monitoring, security... it's actually a lot to consider. But in time, all those complex systems become second nature, just background noise.

Trust me, all these complex systems will soon become just another thing... easily managed without a second thought. Get out and camp, and it will all become so clear and natural. Best of luck!

kitphantom and Dan from Troup like this.
  15. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Have fun and take pictures! Those of us with snow ( we just got about 8 in. yesterday) need to live vicariously through those of you in the warmer climates.

kcsa75 and Dan from Troup like this.
  16. Dan from Troup

Our prayers are with you and please keep us up to date on your progress. Tears and hugs. Dan and Deb

Pommom70 likes this.
  17. Dan from Troup

Pictures will be shared good friend.

18. Dan from Troup

Perhaps for a newbie it’s a bit daunting. I like though that I can work on our popup and do everything myself. It’s been a fun journey of learning and discovery.

19. Dan from Troup

Kinda excited about using our camper when visiting our son in Austin. They had another girl so with 2 grand babies now, we lost the guest room. Hope our little Avery (8) will camp out with us out in her driveway. Our youngest son (29) is coming with us as he’ll be sleeping in the camper too.

20. Dan from Troup

Thanks and hope your holiday is good one for you too. How are you going to spend it?