First weekend out we went canoeing and I filmed it from the Drone

Discussion in 'PopUpPortal TV' started by Rkcampers, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Rkcampers

Rkcampers Member

Dec 25, 2016
    Laney A likes this.
  2. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    Unbelievable...that was very professional. Beautiful scenery too. How do you paddle a kayak and operate a drone ?

3. Rkcampers

Rkcampers Member

Dec 25, 2016
    First, thank you for the compliment, I am an novice pilot but learning!
    The wife and son were out in the canoes, I was on shore. The son and I went out the day before, the video of that will be up soon. [:D]

4. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Nice! Wish I could paddle all year!
    You're just a novice pilot....
    ...yet enough to risk flying over the trees!
    Bravo! [:D]

5. Firehawk068

Firehawk068 Active Member

Mar 22, 2016
    Cool video!
    I would love to get some drone footage of some of my Jeep adventures.

6. Rkcampers

Rkcampers Member

Dec 25, 2016
    This is only my 6th flight with the drone, it is a Phantom 3 Pro and it is very stable. You have to almost force it to crash. LOL Except for landing which I seem to tip it over every landing. [:(]

7. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    That's a SUPER COOL video! How do you control it over the trees? I feel sure you can't see it. Are you connected to it by wifi or something?

8. Rkcampers

Rkcampers Member

Dec 25, 2016
    Yes, it is connected and I can actually see it on a map overlay or see what is shown on the camera.

[PUC][PUT]

9. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    Seen a drone/app that follows you as you run/hike/bike along. You can program it for different heights, angles, or distance behind you. Looked pretty cool for those who are into documenting that kinda stuff. I bought my kids stunt drones a couple years ago, but they don't mess around with them too much. I stick with GoPro helmet vids when on trail with my dirt bike. Like to document new trails and obstacles when hill climbing.

10. Rkcampers

Rkcampers Member

Dec 25, 2016
    Thats cool, anything on Youtube that I can check out?

11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Stunning video!

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Excellent video! I would be terrified of flying it over water myself. Afraid it would accidently go out of range or disconnect from your controller and crash. Then again I don't know much about drones, so maybe there is a fail-safe in there.

13. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Well done!! Thanks for sharing

14. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas
    What kind of range do you get on the drone? I.e. how far away can it get from the controller?

15. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Webster, NY
    Cannot speak for that drone and its TX...but in RF communications in general (just about all RC stuff sold today is 2.4 Ghz spread spectrum) they are reliable up to 1-2km per watt of tx power. Obviously things like weather, terrain and obstacles can reduce that range. We spec our RF products to 1km per Watt, but that is guaranteed with safety margin. Distance can also be improved with directional antennas since all TXs come with omni directional antennas, but the trick there is keeping the antenna pointed at the RX.

Disclaimer: I work in RF communications and race RC vehicles.

16. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas
    Greek to this guy <---- [LOL] couldn't have asked for a better answer though! I won't hijack the thread, I'll just do some research, something like this could be quite helpful in managing the game on our property.

17. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    My username is NoSkidz. Haven't posted for awhile tho. Moved 3 times since last June for work.

18. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Webster, NY
    Yeah, sorry. Looked up the Pro 3 and 4 myself (cause who doesn't need more toys), and they spec to 3-4 miles I think. These have built in cameras and are sending the video feed back over the RC link. Other drones might have Wifi cameras which significantly reduces the range of the video feed, so you can only fly it as far as you can see it.

Video is awesome, would love to get one of those.

19. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I just read that drones are prohibited at all Florida state parks. I understand some of them due to having sensitive places nearby, but apparently they have included all of them now. [:(]

20. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    The ban is probably due to the "peace and quiet" factor, more than anything.
    I'm all for technology, but drones are neither silent nor unobtrusive, so I can see the reasoning.