Fish Fry

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by Cassy, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Cassy

Cassy New Member

May 27, 2008
    Here in Wisconsin we love our fish frys!

We had a great fish fry camping this summer. We did a fish fry for about 25 people and it was so good and easy! We had each family bring something - coleslaw, tartar sauce, rye bread, french fries and fruit salad to go with the fish.

We used the "Shore Lunch Beer Batter". We mixed it with beer instead of water and let it sit in the cooler for a couple of hours. We used haddock from the store. First we cut the fish in half and dipped them in flour and then the batter. Then into the deep fryer. Then we threw the french fries in the fryer.

We also ended up breading some cheese curds and even hot dogs. Everybody had a great time. I look forward to doing this again! Try this if you have a big (or little) group of people. It was sooooo good! Even the kids who wont eat fish ate it.

2. SCmomma

SCmomma New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    that sounds really good........glad everyone had a nice time.......SCmomma

3. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Nov 3, 2012
    A couple of years ago we did on the night before the opening of the gun deer hunting season. We used to go out for dinner,but the resort we went to for years had cheapened the meals and raised prices. We brought 2 turkey fryers and did fish in one and french frys in the other. The next night we had BBQ ribs and french frys. We tend to eat well when "hunting"!

4. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DH & I are trying to eat better for health reasons, but every once in a while you need to have fried food. DH loves fish (I'm allergic) but I do cook fish for him. I make my own breading, with a mixture of corn meal, flour and seasonings. Once you've got the fryer going, you've got to make something else, so here come the homemade fries, the onion rings and either corn fritters or hush puppies. It's a once every couple of month thing, but dang, is it good.

5. Stevemo816

Stevemo816 Camping......Its How We Roll !!!!

Sep 24, 2014
    Shawano, Wis.
    Sounds delicious!......do me a favor....next time your cooking this.......send up a flare and ill jump on my yamaha zuma and be right there...LOL
    really does sound good, i live in Shawano Wis. and there are fish fry specials at every bar, restaurant, ect. Deep fried mushrooms and cheese curds are the norm around here. Great post, Thanks!
    [:)O] [A]

6. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

Nov 16, 2006
    NC
    I love fried fish. Flounder is my favorite, but I enjoy other ones as well.

7. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Old thread but we did this last fall! Truly a Wisconsin "delicacy"! IMG_0334.JPG

8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I do a fish fry several times a year. $25 bucks worth of Swai fillets or even cheaper nuggests will feed a crowd

9. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    I've heard swai is good but have yet to try it.

10. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    It is white, mild, and flaky. I can't tell it from catfish and obviously others cannot either because I have read stories of restaurants getting caught selling Swai as catfish.

neighbormike likes this.