Fitting rooftop ac gasket (Dometic)

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by skeetercampsintexas, Mar 17, 2013.

1. banks412

banks412 New Member

Best pic I have of before - you can see the strip around the edge of the top is painted a dull shade of brown...

[​IMG]

And then,

Sure enough - nice shiny aluminum all the way...dang.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good thing I found some paint stripper at the local home goods store. Made it much easier, but this process is still going to be tough, especially on the long sides...will post a pic or two when I'm done. May be a while, so bear with me! :)

2. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

You will be done before you know it. Looking good so far!

3. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

You've got more [{:)] than I do!

4. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

Sorry about the suggestions Banks! But hey, it IS better with a little bling around the edges!! I think I will do that to mine when I go to paint the top maybe this spring. It will look good with a nice white top and a chrome strip accent around the edge. Keep up the good work and I will try not suggest more work for ya to do.

5. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

You guys are gonna need some nice polished aluminum rims if you go that route [;)]

6. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

I do have some chrome wheel covers and hub covers Im gonna try to put on to see if they look good. Right now everything is white.

7. banks412

banks412 New Member

How about some nice silver spray paint for the wheels!? :) Anybody know how to do this with the tires still on?

I do need to find some center caps for my bearing caps. I'm always worried they're going to come flying off when I'm rolling down the road. I don't want to spend the cash on bearing buddies for this trailer, but with all the time and $$$ I've already spent I might as well...

Sorry to get off track - planning to haul the PuP to the driveway tomorrow and finish all of my sanding. Maybe I can even get the paint off all the aluminum trim. I'll post a few more pics if I do.

8. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

I got some at work for boat trailers. The bearing cap and dust cover. Don't get bearing buddies. There not for campers.

9. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

I took the big white covers off the center and added the covers. I can access the bearings without taking the wheel off. any trailer place should have them or your local Bass Pro or Cabelas They are in the marine (Tracker) parts dept at Bass Pro. I could take a pic if you want to see what Im talking about

10. banks412

banks412 New Member

Sure - that'd be great. I'm a visual kinda guy (find me one that ISN'T - ha!!) and need to see it to know what you're talkin about.

Thanks!

-Tim

11. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

this is the pic. The outside piece is the bearing cover and on the inside of the bearing cover is a black dust cover. Cost a whole $2.50 [​IMG]

12. banks412

banks412 New Member

Thanks Tim - now I know what I'm lookin' for at least....

Got some more of the nice shiny aluminum trim exposed last night on the roof! Will post a couple of pictures when it's all done.

13. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

Why cant you use bearing buddies????

14. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

My manual says bearing buddies are not recommend and I had some on there just because I had some brand new ones left over from my boat.I just put them on and did not pump grease into them. When I got to the campsight I looked down and the right one was missing!!! I cut a plastic water bottle in half and taped it over the bearing area so no dirt could get in. When I got home I checked the other one and was able to pull it right off by hand. switched to the ones I have now and I have to hit them pretty hard with a rubber mallet just to get them off. i can repack bearings without having to take the tire off the hub.

15. jeeper88

Wow! I put a set on mine just like u did cause they were new and laying around.. Drove the Ohio from fla and back. They made the trip. Maybe I need to look a bit closer. Thanks.

16. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

If they made it that far you're probably good to go!

17. jeeper88

And I did pump them full of grease

18. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

The grease only sits in the front area, in front of the castle nut. It never makes it to the beraring itself unless you have an E-Z lube system that eityher has a grease zerk on the hub or right inside the center like a boat does. If you take them off you will notice all the grease just sitting there. the pressure is on the back seal which you dont want. I wouldnt worry about it now I just would not pump any more grease in there. they make good dust covers and look nice plus you dont have to take the tire off the hub to pack bearings. If they stay on keep em!

19. jeeper88

good advice, thanks..

20. banks412

banks412 New Member

Well, I'm happy to finally report that I have not only repainted the entire PuP top to bottom, I have also reattached the A/C!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry that last pic is kind of fuzzy...

I was able to get the power unit back on the inside and get the fan blowing, but the compressor didn't kick on, I think because it's been pretty chilly here at home. Well, chilly enough for US and apparently so much so that the A/C didn't need the compressor to kick on. It's supposed to be about 75 later this week, so I'll pull it out into the driveway and power it up and see how things go. Will get another pic or two of the inside of the unit and the inner cover as well, as I have repainted everything (all three pieces) just for the heck of it.

Hoping to get her out one more time before the end of the year!