Fitting rooftop ac gasket (Dometic)

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by skeetercampsintexas, Mar 17, 2013.

1. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

SWeet!!! she looks nice and shiney! What type of paint did you use and is that a fiberglass roof or rubber? The next time I take the AC off to put a new gasket on Im gonna paint. Heck I might not wait that long cause yours looks so good! Im sure your AC will work if it is warmer out. Nice repair job !

2. banks412

banks412 New Member

I used Rust Oleum Oil Based paint with a gloss finish. I actually wanted a semi gloss but they were out and I'm impatient. :)

I'll get a few more photos of the paint job (maybe today while it's sunny out) and the A/C as I finish the reassembly...

Stay tuned!

3. kpic

kpic New Member

There is something in their instructions about if they don't fit, send them back with part numbers of the bearing and they will send the correct set. I guess the installer is supposed to calculate the correct press fit? [:(O]

4. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

I only have 1 left. It was free so Im not too upset. Anyway the new ones I have a perfect!

5. banks412

banks412 New Member

So I've turned this....
    [​IMG]

Into this...
    [​IMG]

Just need to finish attaching the water lines for the sink and a couple more minor things and she's ready for a test run/trip!

6. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

Looks good except Im jelous!!! All I can do is pop mine up in the garage about 1/2 way. [:(]

7. banks412

banks412 New Member

Here she is! Got it all set up in the driveway last night. My son asked if we could sleep in it for the night. Ha!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still concerned about the a/c though. It was cool yesterday evening but when I turned it on I still couldn't tell if the compressor was kicking on or not. Hoping it warms up enough today so I can try it again.... Is there any way I could tell other than waiting for it to warm up and turning it on? Really hope I didn't screw it up after all this work...

8. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

Really nice turn out!!!! I hope you slept in it. Now he will be bitin atthe bit to go camping. My compressor if very quit when it is on. Dont really hear it. What you could do is put a meat or whatever thermometer in the vent and turn it to the hightes setting, high cool and see if is changes the temp at all. You cannot use a regular extension cord in your house plug-in or it will not come on! has to be on its own circuit with a heavy duty extension cord. If you have the plug adapter for your big plug on the camper it should work but make sure you have 20 amps dedicated to the wall plug. the camper plug is a 30 amp and the compressoer requires at least 20 to kick it on. that could be the reason it is not coming on. you did a really nice job on it.

9. banks412

banks412 New Member

I didn't even think about that, Tim. Thanks so much for the suggestion! It's warmer out today, so I'll try it again. I don't know where I'd find a 30 amp outlet in the house - maybe behind the washer? I'd swear before I started the a/c cleaning, I had it plugged in at home and it worked. Maybe if I shut everything off in the garage and plug it in with a heavy duty extension cord. I dunno. I'll keep playing with it. I do have the plug adapter on it for a 110 plug - usually just leave it on there unless I'm at the campground.

Thanks for the props! I blew my last $40 on new water hookups for the sink today. Going to get that done and I'll officially be better off than I was before with running water! Going to use a 5 gallon bucket for now as a 'gray water tank' with a lid and a hole drilled in it. Would be so awesome to wash my hands or brush my teeth in the trailer. It's just my son and I for now, so hopefully the bucket will work for now. Baby steps...

10. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

Thats what I use also without a lid. I just velcro the hose to the handle. Be sure to keep the hose up out of the water in the bucket! You want the hose to barley go in about 2" or else when the water reaches the hose it wont drain out of the sink! It creates an air pocket in the hose so it dont drain. Im hoping it is just too cool out for the compressor to kick on.

11. banks412

banks412 New Member

Thanks for the advice on the gray water tank. Headed out to get that started now. Will play with the A/C again as well. I think it's warm enough to expect it to kick on now...

12. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

Its cold up here. 53 right now and the lake outside my office is frozen. Expecting 3 to 6" of snow on saturday with single digit temps! Hope if fires up for ya. [8D]

13. banks412

banks412 New Member

Well I'm at least a little confused. So the A/C unit had the option heating element in it when I started the cleanup. I unplugged it and removed it because the heating element was caked in rust and just looked like a fire hazard, so to the trash it went.

Today I hooked the 30 AMP cord with a 110 converter plug on it to a dedicated 20 AMP 110 household outlet. Fired up the fan first and then lowered the thermostat and heard the compressor kick on. However, it didn't seem to be getting much cooler. Very disheartening. It was almost as if everything I did to clean the unit made it worse. I have an analog thermometer that read 70 when I held it up to the vent. After a few minutes I swear it had climbed a degree or two. WHA!?!?

So, for grins, I powered it off and then back on but turned the fan controls to the 'optional heating' fan speeds. I Left it on medium fan speed for about two minutes with the thermometer held up there again, and this time I could feel a slight drop in temp. Sure enough, the thermometer was down to 68! I turned it all off, grabbed a beer and came inside.

Right now I'm running on the HOPE that it will work when using the optional heater fan speeds with the thermostat all the way down. I'm too stressed out about it at this point to even mess with it anymore. All this work and I feel as if I may have done it all for nothing.

14. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

That's strange. Mine has the heat thing to but is not in use. Does it have 2 different plug ins under the shroud where the dials are??. Could I be that you plugged it in the wrong one and that is why it works with the heat dial on?

15. banks412

banks412 New Member

Well, as my wife would say, I've rarely been accused of being a smart man. So after sleeping on it for a while, I went back out this morning and had one of those 'OMG' moments, and then it all became clear.

The 'heater' Low/Med/Hi settings I THOUGHT were the heater settings are indeed NOT the heater settings. They are for the a/c. In the picture, note the words in the upper left corner (for optional heat). I assumed the Lo/Med/Hi settings related to these words. They do not. They only relate to the one little notch above the Low a/c setting at the 9 o'clock position. So, I assume now if you use heat, you get essentially one fan setting and that's it. I was confident I didn't plug the A/C power into the heater power slot because the plugs are different. The heater plug is only 3 or 4 single line prongs and the A/C power is a 2x3 or 2x4 block plug.

When I was testing this unit after getting it put back together, I was using the 'Fan' settings at 2.3.4 o'clock, thinking that's what controlled the compressor. Well, it doesn't. Geez. What a rube I am.

So what's all this mean? It means that 1. - I'm a moron. 2. The a/c officially blows colder and stronger than it did before - I know it does. I can feel it, both literally and figuratively. And I was able to prove it with the thermometer and just a couple of minutes as it dropped the temp on the thermometer from 68 to 60. Had I held it there longer I think it would have kept going.

[​IMG]

Oh, and just for grins....I got the water working! Incredible. I'm tempted to move my home office to the PuP for the day!! [:D]

[​IMG]

Made a reservation for two nights at the local state park just after Xmas I'm so excited. Can't hardly stand it....

16. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

GReat news!!!!!!!!! See I knew you would figure it out!!!! I guarantee you will get it colder!! Leave it on high cool for an hour and see. Mine will freeze you out on low and med setting

17. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

You can also get a 45 or 90 degree elbow for the drain hose and put the bucket closer to the pup. I was going to buy the heater element to put in mine but from what I hear it is not that great. Invest the money in a nice space heater. We have a space heater we use and it keeps it nice in there. Check for leaks too around the AC from the inside.

18. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

The black area is the setting for the AC and the white is just for the built in fan and the cool setting in your thermostat for the condensor. I put the AC setting on low and the thermostat at about the 3/4 mark and it get really cold when it is 85 out. you have done a lot!! Congratulations on your succes! Now go camping and crack one open for me!

19. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

Now that I looked at it the black is for the heat control I think. Man its been a while since I looked at mine so I dont know. I think mine says heat on one side and AC on the other. Anyway you figured it out. I wouldcrank it wide open, close the pup door and then go back in an hour and see how cold it is inside with the thermometer in the vent [:D] If it is working well you will have lots of evaporator run off water.

20. banks412

banks412 New Member

Thanks Tim - I owe you a ton for helping me along the way with this. And to skeetercampsintexas for getting me started with the wood ring replacement.

You guys are the best.

As for the gray water - I have a little project cooking in the garage right now for that. More to come soon!