Fitting rooftop ac gasket (Dometic)

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by skeetercampsintexas, Mar 17, 2013.

1. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

Some people have taken pcv pipe and fittings (T) fitting and made a vent. Im going to cut the hose about a foot away from my 45 degree elbow and put a (T) fitting in there with a peice of hose to make a vent cap. Have you tried the AC again? Helping people is what I do for a living. Im a customer service representative, boat and ATV instructor for Tracker Marine Boating Center here is Kansas City. I instruct people who to operate, maintain and take care of thier boats and ATV's. I take people to the lake and show them how to do everything when they purchase a new unit. I also deliver 4 wheelers to thier house and teach them how to operate it. Every day Im either in a boat or on a 4 wheeler. It all 4 wheelers now since the lakes here are frozen over. I have had 5 ATV go out this week. Sound like your exicted to keep working on the pup!! stay in touch and let me know how the AC goes as far as getting colder. this is the best forum Ihave ever been on. [:D]

2. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

WOW!!! I just studied your pic again and yes, that little black arrow IS the ONLY HEAT SETTING! Below that is for the AC (in black) and the white settings ( on the other side) are for the fan ONLY!! On fan the compressor wont kick on. It IS just the fan to move the air around. Now I really have to look at mine but Im sure it is the very same thing but I think mine says AC under the setting but it is not in black thats what confused me.

3. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

this is my grey water bucket set up. I have a 45 brass piece on the pup and the hose is Velcro to the handle and I have a bal leveler which is what I hook a bungee cord to that goes around the bucket to keep it from tipping over. When I have water at the camp sight, I have a Y connector with shut off valves so I can have the city water going in in 1 side and I can hook a hose up to the other side to wash off our paddleboards and kayak gear. That way I have full pressure from the camp sight water. All these parts came with the camper. the guy left all kinds of things in it, cooking utensils parts and even a can of mace![​IMG]

4. banks412

banks412 New Member

That's awesome! I still have some trouble with leveling, but I'm getting better at it each time I set it up. I'll take a few pics of m gray water tank. I'm using an orange Home Depot bucket, so I may spray paint it white as it sticks out like a sore thumb right now. :/ I just used various parts from the PVC section at Home Deport and found a 'hose mender' for $4. I will look at getting a y piece for it as well because I did just invest in a 12' kayak to do some fishing in as well - so excited!

It's all finally coming together....

5. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

If you click on the picture it will (should) take you to my photobucket page. I love kayaking and paddleboarding or just anything on the water. WE wont camp unless we have lake access. I got 2 ascend 10ft. sit ins and Im getting a 10ft. sit on top after the first.The good thing is where I work I get 40% off! they all fit in the back of the truck and the paddleboards on top. We take em all with us. I have a home depot bucket for the porta potty and the white one I found at work. I think lowes has white buckets.

6. banks412

banks412 New Member

That's a good lookin' rig, Tim!

I was able to get one last camping trip in for 2013 with my son - we had a great time. Only two nights again, but after all the work I wanted to see how she'd do. No rain in the forecast thankfully, but everything went really well. I still have some trouble with the front (big) bunk pole setup. I had them all in once where they fit perfectly. I wish I would have color coded them when I did that. May have to play around with it again at home and try to do that or just make new poles. I bought the material but never got around to it. Threw in a pic of my home made gray water tank too. Got the plumbing working in the sink, so it was a great time to test it out. Sink worked great and no issues with slow draining as I was careful to place the drain line so it's constantly running 'downhill'... Anyhoo - the A/C performed flawlessly since we didn't need it, although I did kick it on for a few minutes to make sure it would still get cold, and it did! I used the fan on low for some 'white noise' at night but it sure got chilly. We had a small heater but it couldn't keep up. [:>(]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have the heating element that came out of my A/C unit - I took it out when I was cleaning and repainting everything and forgot to reinstall it.
    I wanted to post a pic or two of it and see what you thought of it. It looks like the 'fins' around the heating element are rusty, but would that make any difference? The heating element itself looks to be in good condition. [?:~{]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

Man the looks great!!! As for as the element goes you might want to go to the box store and see what they have and then use a wire brush and carefully try to brush it off. They dont look like they would bend very easy but. I think the rod gets hot and then transfer to the spiral pieces where the fan actually blowes the heat off of them. I dont think they are as good as a space heater would be but if you can get it working good, what the heck!!! Then you will have 2 heaters. glad everything is working well. Mine has been put up since mid october. Had it out a few times working on it but cant wait till the temps rise hopfully in a couple of months. I cant wait to go!!

8. banks412

banks412 New Member

Well, patience was never my virtue, so I installed the heating element back in the A/C unit today, and IT WORKS! No funny smells, no fires, so I guess I'm all set between that and a small floor heater. It does tend to trip the breaker though, as I went to turn it off it popped my GFI (standard 20 AMP breaker). Once I reset it, it was fine, but I guess I'll make sure I have the 30 AMP hookup for this moving forward. Hoping I can get one more cold weather camping trip in the books before it warms up!

9. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

It pulls lots of amps like a hair dryer so ya it needs more power. If that doesnt work I would clean it up a little. Maybe its overheating or something. Im looking at 1" of snow and temps sitting at 0 this am [:(]

10. banks412

banks412 New Member

Guess I shouldn't tell you we almost hit 60 today? ;)

Hoping to get out and do one more cold weather trip before it warms up down here. Especially since this past trip I managed to forget a jacket, making the cold temps a little less bearable - I'm an idiot....

Hey - did you like my home made gray water tank?

11. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

Yeah thats nice and the way to do it. Just take the cap off the 90 outlet for air and to dump it?? Sinks drain a lot better with air. I haven't gone that elaborate yet :)

12. banks412

banks412 New Member

Exactly! I just leave the cap off while we're at the park and then it makes for a great dump spout too when it comes time to leave. For about $8-10 in parts you can't beat it!