Flat screen?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Pitman, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Pitman

Pitman New Member

Feb 8, 2017
    OK, so we have a new popup and will be doing some camping around home and then a trip to the mountains for 2 weeks this summer. We have a 11 month old and a 5 year old, so I been lookin for a 19"-24" tv (preferably with built in dvd) that runs on 12v. I have found several that are no longer made but was wondering if anyone knows of any that are out right now that are 12v? I know the couple of tv's that are made for 12v (Naxa, Artica ect.) but looking for something more along the lines of something like the old Insignia's.

2. bigmajestic

bigmajestic New Member

Nov 15, 2016
    South Mississippi
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Another option is to look into one of those portable DVD players. I've also downloaded a couple movies on my tablet that I can play. Sorry no help on 12v TV's. I know they used to make them, just not sure if they still do.

pasobuff likes this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Boston, MA
    While not sold as 12V TVs, many TVs in your size range use a power brick power supply that steps 120V down to 12VDC. I have one in my basement. Bought it last year. I'm thinking of swapping it with the one in my hybrid that runs on 120V only.

5. Pitman

Pitman New Member

Feb 8, 2017
    I found a tv at Walmart that runs on 12v! It is a 24 inch Element model ELEFW248 if anyone is looking. I was really wanting a 19 inch but I am more than happy to find this one! I also found a dvd player that is 12v at walmart.. its a Sony BDP-S1700. Both work great!

The same thing that Jimmy is talking about.. it has the round 12v plug and a brick.. a lot say 12v at the plug port on the tv.. this one does not but if you read the label back of the tv it says 12v. I think they used to make a lot more of these tv's and for whatever reason they dont make as many now.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    We have our so called DUTY POWER INverter setup to run a few of the 120VAC low wattage items we want to use when camping off-grid... Our Power Inverter is a 600WATT PSW model from AMAZON but usually only use around 200-300 WATTS from it mostly from 6PM to 11PM in the evening getting settled down to sleep...

I installed the Power Inverter close to the battery bank switch and ran a couple of multiple head taps extension cord. these have an ON-OFF switch on them... Installed them on the back of a couple of cabinet tops out of the way and my Power Inverter is always ON ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using the PSW type Power Inverter takes the worry away about something burning up if plugged into the power Inverter thing. I would not want to plug anything Electronic into one anyway...

Our HDTV is a 22-inch VIZIO from WALMART sale. They always seem to be on sale there... I also picked up a different stand for the HDTV unit and have it clamped to the back of the cabinet so when the wind blows the window flaps won't knock over the TV SET. I've never had much good luck with the built-in vertical DVD players. Never lasted very long... We use a cheap stand alone DVD Player from WALMART...

My POPUP roof when UP will move some 6-inches from side to side when the wind blows just right but is very stable tongue to tire mount... I can stand in the access door way and reach up to the ceiling and push the top a good 6-inches haha... It got to be a problem so I installed eyelets in the four corners of the roof so I can run some 1/2-inch web straps to screw-in ground anchors after I setup to keep it all steady...

[​IMG]
    Solved my side to side 6-inch sway problem indeed...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Boston, MA
    YES! That's the TV I have! Exactly!

8. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Just as another thought,
    You could just do a tablet and put the movies on the tablet. (That's what we do)

Amazon has some decent tables for like $40 bucks (small 7 inch one's that are more for a single person) they have large 10 inch one's for $250

9. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    Big Rig truck stops usually have a decent selection of 12v items to choose from. I've seen coffee pots, microwaves, heaters, fans, TV/radios, etc. The only problem is that they are usually more expensive at those locations compared to Wally World or Amazon. My kids are into their teens now and aren't so much inclined to watch a Disney flick as when they were younger, but we do like to have options for rainy weather. I have a 17in laptop that usually comes with me for editing of our dirt bike vids captured on a GoPro. We've used that to watch movies a time or two.

The last couple of years, we've attended a large family reunion (7-10 families) boondocking around a high mountain lake. I brought along a small bed sheet and a cheap LED pocket projector for late night fireside movies. Connected to a bluetooth speaker, we can all sit around and watch the show! My uncle thought it was a neat idea for the kids that come along, so I've made a habit of it. Not high definition video, but it gets the job done nicely and is extremely affordable. My latest projector actually attaches directly onto the back of my cell phone (Droid Moto-Z) and will display any pic or video stored on my phone or played through an app and internet connection, wifi or cellular. Packaging said it'll display up to a 72in viewing area, but I've blown it up to a 12ft wide viewing area on a wall at home and it look pretty kick-azz to me! Makes for a great party because EVERYONE can see whats playing.