Floor protection.

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Grandpa Don, Jan 12, 2019 at 11:08 AM.

1. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Member

Sep 5, 2018
    I would like to put some kind of protective material on the underside of my camper floor to protect it from the elements. Right now it still looks like new, and I want to keep it that way. I was thinking of something like Flex Seal rubber coating of heavy rubber paint. Any suggestions?

2. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    The manufacturers suggest that you do not seal the underside of a pup. You don't want to trap any potential moisture which will lead to rot or decay. It's best to leave it alone and let the underside dry naturally.

Snow, Sjm9911 and PopUpSteve like this.
  3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    What type of elements. Where I work, we have vehicles that travel in the surf extensively. The maintenance staff uses truck bed liner spray to protect the underneath from the salt water. That's the best thing they've discovwred - but it still only helps for a few years.

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Do not seal the underside of wood. It will trap moisture and promote rot.

xxxapache likes this.
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    Good point. I was thinking of the metal parts of the chassis being coated for protection not the wood flooring.

6. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Guess I'll just leave it alone.

7. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Central Oregon
  8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Our first popup was a tiny, 1984 Palomino - not much ground clearance, so it got plenty of water and such tossed onto it as it was towed. The only water damaged there was in it when we renovated it in 2010 was from a leak from a taillight, which seeped under one dinette bench, in an out of the way place. We assume it stayed wet for a good long time; we were the third owner. Even the open hole where the drain from the ice box went through the floor didn't have much damage - and what it did have was probably as much from the drain vibrating in the hole on the road as anything else.
    When we sold it in 2012, the bottom of the floor still looked like it did when we bought it around the turn of the century, which was probably about the same as it did new. There was some rust on the metal frame parts though.

9. Fless

Fless Active Member

I'd say that if it's 15 years old and still looks like new, then you're golden. Nothing needed.
    _

Sjm9911 and xxxapache like this.
  10. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Yes, I think you're right. When I bought my PUP the owners said that was in mint condition. A likely story I thought. But it really was. Aside from one pin-hole size hole in the canvas near the door, there was not a thing that I had to replace or work on. The only repair work I've had to do since, has been to fix the little mistakes I made while learning to be a PUP owner. I blew the 60 amp fuse in the electric winch through my own fault. Everything else that I've done to it has been elective. I added electric brakes, a solar panel system, a new lift cable and up-down switch. I only replaced the cable because I didn't want to take a chance on it breaking while I was out in the boondocks by myself. Next, I want to replace the pump faucet with an electric on-demand type. I'll get to that in a month or so.

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Mine is a 2000 and the underside still looks good, if it aint broke dont fix it!

12. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    mine was sprayed w black paint? underneath.

13. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Yes, mine is also sprayed with a black material. Probably paint.