foam donut drain gasket source?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by heathdavis, Jul 10, 2011.

1. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

May 15, 2011
    I want to replace the foam donut drain gasket that goes under the sink on my '84 Jayco 705.

Home "Despot" didn't have anything like it. Haven't checked Lowes yet...

Is there any reasonable chance of getting a replacement from a hardware or plumbing supply store, or is this something I'll need to order from Jayco?

2. ricknpeg1

ricknpeg1 New Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Are you talking about the basket strainer. If so the foam is just a cheap alternative for plumber's putty.

3. natedog_37

natedog_37 New Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I just took it off and didn't replace it no issue so far.

4. ricknpeg1

ricknpeg1 New Member

Mar 13, 2011
    , Are you talking about the gasket under the sink or on the inside of sink. the gasket at the bottom is the same size as a bar sink basket strainer gasket. Go to home Depot open up one of the bar sink strainers ,get the gasket out,and tell the associate that this is what you need. Sometimes they don't really know what your looking for so they just say... Oh we don't have one

5. moneeleann

moneeleann New Member

Sep 25, 2010
    I know what you're talking about. The roughly 1/2 inch thick foam circle that sits between the lower counter and the bottom of the plumbing pipe to create a seal between the two when the sink swings over.

I could not find it anywhere when I was changing out my sink. I ended up calling a Jayco dealer, and they do in fact have it, and it wasn't too bad. I can't remember now what it cost, but I want to say around $10 shipped.

I ended up going a different direction with mine and eliminating the need for the sinks to meet, as it always seemed to leak anyhow.

6. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

May 15, 2011
    Yes, EXACTLY. My husband suggested I just smear the old semi-crunchy gasket with plumber's putty and call it good. But that would be kind of messy when the sink was folded back away. Guess I'll call Jayco.

Thanks!

7. natedog_37

natedog_37 New Member

Apr 19, 2011
    This is what I am talking about. I took it off and never replaced it. Used it to time with over 15 gallons of water going though it with no leaks. It leaked with the gasket in place.

8. CoxClan

CoxClan Member

Aug 15, 2011
    You just took it off, and didn't do any other mod to make it not leak?

We are having the same issue with our "donut." I suppose we can try taking it off tomorrow and see what happens....but the thought scares me more than a little :)

9. natedog_37

natedog_37 New Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Nope. No other mod.

The drain from my sink no sits almost agents the trap "metal part to stop big food particles from going down" so there is no need for a mod. I can get pics if you would like.

I am still trying to figure out why it was there.

10. CoxClan

CoxClan Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better - we couldn't figure out what else to do other than redo the entire drain system to include a hose instead of the two part folding system.....and since we are going out this weekend, that's a bit of a project to undertake! We'll just go without the "donut" for now, and maybe do a plumbing rework into whatever remodeling we decide to do next spring.

11. CoxClan

CoxClan Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Well.....removing the "donut" didn't solve our sink leak. We talked to the previous owner of our PUP today, who said it had always leaked for them, so they just never used it. OK, great. (Explains the NASTY stuff in the water line that we replaced today, ewwww)

So, I now have a modded sink, thanks to my vision and our friend who had the ability to "see" what I was saying and make it happen. I can't post pics until tomorrow, but basically I now have a "hard wired" sink, but with a removable line for when I flip the galley over. Pretty high speed and tested under our high water pressure outside....so far, so good!

12. hwy395lvr

hwy395lvr New Member

Sep 4, 2011
    I'm hoping you can post pics of your drain mod on your Jayco.The "donut" in mine always gets abused when sliding the bed in.I used to cover it with a spray can top but it has since torn off.

13. CoxClan

CoxClan Member

Aug 15, 2011
    hwy395lvr - sorry, I didn't see your pic request until just now! As soon as I open her up for the spring, I'll take pics of what we did.....it was really easy!

14. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Could your fold over galley not going all the way down? Do you fold it over on cushion?

15. lilmexx

lilmexx New Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Would love to see pictures on this as I am replacing my entire sink unit and need to figure something out on this...

Thanks

16. HappyCamper614

HappyCamper614 New Member

Jul 16, 2014
    I know this is an old thread, but wanted to post a comment anyway in case other Jayco Eagle pop up owners run into this same problem. Upon purchasing our new (to us) 1999 Eagle 12 SO, we discovered evidence that the plumbing had been leaking for some time. The result was deterioration of the plywood in one corner of the pop up where the water had pooled. The weakened plywood caused one of the lift pulleys to pull away from the floor the second time we attempted to raise the roof. (Why Jayco didn't anchor the pulleys to the frame, I'll never know.) So the cable jumped the pulley and became wedged. To make a long story short, we had to reinforce the floor with a steel plate bolted to the camper frame, replace the pulley and then re-route the cables. It was a huge pain.

All this is to say that we finally discovered that recurring leak was from the donut gasket where the sink and counter top are supposed to seal. (A nice idea poorly executed in my opinion. There is just too much risk of a poor seal and a flooded camper.) So what we did was replace the drain on the sink with a threaded fitting I found at Home Depot. We then removed the original drain line and replaced it with a section of garden hose that runs from the sink to the external drain plug on the outside of the camper. The hose can be easily screwed onto the fitting under the sink and has enough slack to enable me to screw it in place before completely lowering the sink. Because of the larger drain fitting on the underside of the sink, I had to use a jigsaw to enlarge the opening on the counter top where the drain connects.

So, in the end, we have a quick-connect drain line that eliminates the possibility of leakage. And the best part is that if we ever need to replace the drain line, we just buy a new garden hose. Simple and effective.

Oh... one last thing. The new plumbing on the sink does not have a drain trap like the original lower receiver. It's just a straight shot from the sink to the drain line. We've found this helps the sink drain faster, and food particles flow right through the hose and out into the bucket we use to collect grey water.

17. fullboat1010

fullboat1010 New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Does anyone have pictures of this plumbing? Just ran into this issue myself and would like a picture for reference.

Brewski likes this.
  18. Brewski

Brewski New Member

Yesterday
    I realize this thread is old, but I'd love to see some pics too if anyone has them. We're on our second trip with our new to us '96 Jayco 1207KB and I just cleaned up a sink full of dish water off the floor.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 10:16 PM