Foam topper for bunk end

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Muller 5, Jan 11, 2019 at 8:33 AM.

1. Muller 5

Muller 5 Member

Jan 6, 2019
    STL
    Have you found that a two inch memory foam topper makes a significant difference in comfort? Our "mattresses" are glorified yoga mats. I'm looking to upgrade a little, but unsure of how much 2" will matter.

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    The amount of memory foam you can add is determined by how much room you have when the roof is down and latched shut. My pup has no room, otherwise I would have added it long ago.

I have three inches of memory foam on my bed a home and would NEVER give it up.

3. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    Do you currently have a thin foam mattress? If so, I recommend adding anti-fatigue foam tiles underneath. Our first PUP had very little extra clearance (as BikeNFish described), so we couldn't add a foam topper. So I did the foam tiles under and it makes a huge difference! It was way more comfortable and adds insulation that really helps on cold nights. In fact, we recently bought a bigger PUP and I immediately pulled those foam tiles from the old one and put them in the new one.

4. Muller 5

Muller 5 Member

Jan 6, 2019
    STL
    Yes on the very thin foam mattress.

5. Redbird234

Redbird234 Member

May 27, 2018
    GTA
    I bought a foam topper from Wayfair and I found it makes a world of difference. Luckily it fits with the roof down but I bring it in in the fall and it takes up a lot of basement space.

6. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I bought new 4" foam mattress from colemanpopupparts.com and had interlocking foam floor titles from Costco under the new mattress. very comfortable.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 11:40 AM
  7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Before you add a topper I would first do what we call the tissue box test. Raise your roof, put an empty tissue box on the beds, close the roof and then open again and see how much the box was squished. That will tell you how much room you have to play with. In my Jayco I had no room between the roof and the beds. So if I added a topper I would have to take it off every time I pack up. In my current camper I have an inch or so on the bunk ends but more in the center. So like others I used the anti-fatigue mat under the stock mattress to help.

8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I got the Big One memory foam toppers at Kohls. They go on sale for $29.99 any size a few times a year. They are 1-1/2 inch thick. I put 2 per bed - with the ripple sides together. It provides for 3 inches of topper, but squishes down more than a single 3 inch topper. They are so comfortable. I have them at home, in the clipper and in the FnR. Moose-dog, who is getting older and has sore hips, loves it. He will lay on any of the beds well past "time to get up" when before them he was always up.

With my clipper and FnR beds, I could feel the hard plywood when laying on the mattress. With the toppers, I cannot.

9. MattF350

MattF350 Member

Mar 27, 2018
    Syracuse, NY
    I use foam mattress at home. Would not want it any other way.

10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    I went with a 4inch topper...what a difference it made

11. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    If you're uncomfortable, add a topper of any kind and you will be more comfortable. If you can't lower your roof with the topper on, take it off, roll it up and store it. That's what we had to do. We did sleep better with a 2" topper to the point it was worth the extra setup time to put the topper on and off each trip.

Muller 5 likes this.
  12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I think I added 2" to mine. I also have the foam tiles underneath. I sleep quite well now! However I am at the max on height to the point that bedding had to come off before dropping the roof.