Foil Cooking

Discussion in 'Healthy Outdoor Cooking' started by yetavon, Dec 13, 2013.

1. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    It always seems that a bunch of fresh veggies with chopped garlic wrapped in foil, sprinkled with pepper and drizzled with olive oil find there way on the fire or grill.

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    And I think I can find a use for them when they come off the grill.

3. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Love a boneles/skinless chicken breast cooked in salsa with corn. Also try thr chicken with BBQ sauce and corn. Both very tasty!

4. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I like the idea of the grilled veggies. One of our long standing recipes is to slice zuchini and yellow summer squash, onions and green peppers, spiced to taste, with a dash or 2 of oil, wrap in plastic and grill.

5. GeorgeHahnemann

GeorgeHahnemann Active Member

Jul 19, 2012
    New Carlisle,Ohio
    [?] Plastic??

6. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Jul 13, 2011
    I like to do sliced red skin potatoes and onions with spices and olive oil wrapped in foil. yummy....

7. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    Might add a new taste... But don't believe the plastic falls into the healthy part. [:D]

8. real lite virgin

real lite virgin Rob,Suzanne & Jessie - Black Lab

Apr 15, 2010
    Went to my parents house a few years ago and my dad cooked a whole piece of peameal bacon in the oven. He didn't realize it was wrapped in two pieces of plastic wrap, not just one. After an hour in the oven it was still so moist from being wrapped up. But I don't have the nerve to try cooking like that because it would probably melt on me.

9. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

Feb 20, 2012
    Melviindale MI.
    I cook steaks on the grill and soak asparagus in EVOO and garlic and grill them right over the fire with the steak YUM

10. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Oregon
    I put sliced potatoes in foil, drizzled with olive oil and Mrs Dash garlic seasoning. Goes great with any grilled meat.

11. capy235co

capy235co Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Seal Beach, CA
    Been thinking that method for making fajita burritos on my next trip. Always use a cast iron skillet but might like to try this method. All this food talk has me headed to the kitchen. Has to be something in there to munch on.......

12. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    We use to do the foil cooking when we were driving on the top of the engine. Cook some hamburger with onions, drive for about 2-3 hours, It's really good. Veggies sounds like it would be good too.

13. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Oregon
    We don't cook with aluminum much any more. Mostly cast iron and stainless. But it is handy for camping and we don't do it that much.

14. woobie

woobie My PUP is newer than my Tow Vehicle

Sep 30, 2013
    Here in Utah, we call this kind of cooking "Hobo Dinners". Any other names?

15. cook18729

cook18729 Member

Aug 23, 2013
    I just received a cookbook titled "Hobo Cooking" from a friend as a Christmas present. I can't wait until spring to try some of the recipes.

16. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Mar 10, 2008
    Highland Springs Va
    shack master why wait to spring time use your home oven and just try them out there then take your best ones camping!!!!

17. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010
    I really don't like to cook too much in Aluminum , you're not actually grilling at that point , just steaming .
    I like my veggies directly on the grill , YUM

18. VulcanGuy

VulcanGuy New Member

Feb 1, 2016
    When I was a kid going camping with my grandparents they took most of the grandkid like 15 of us. BEST EVER YOU WILL EAT FEED A LOT. Grandma and Grandpa MUD TRUKEY season your turkey wrap in foil heavy duet cover in mud do this 4 times buried in the in coals let cook go fishing come back check the fire add some more wood let cook about 5 hours. GOOD EATTING ...

19. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

"You serious, Clark?"