Foot pump mod to elec pump system

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Mellin, Jun 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mellin

Mellin New Member

May 31, 2018
    Maine
    hey all,
    Long time lurker here. I have learned a lot from all the folks at popupportal over the last few years and I am very grateful. We tend to camp off the grid in our Coleman Bayside Elite 2005. It has 20 something gallons of water on board which is great but the battery doesn’t power the pump for very long. Being a sailor, I am aware of the marine foot pumps used in sailboat galleys to over come the power consumption issue but I’m not sure how it would work with the popup since it’s a pressurized system. In marine applications it will draw saltwater, not from the fresh water tank. Does anyone know of a plumbing schematic for the bayside? Can I just add the foot pump (gusher mk3) in line? It seems like it should be a simple install.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Todd

2. Mellin

Mellin New Member

May 31, 2018
    Maine
  3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    If the pump runs the battery down that fast then it seems to me, there is a problem with either the battery or the pump is drawing way to many amps. The pump does not run all the time, only when the faucet is turned on and the pressure drops. If necessary you can probably find one of the old style faucets that have the pump made into the faucet to solve your problem. Good Luck and Happy Camping

4. Mellin

Mellin New Member

May 31, 2018
    Maine
    Thanks for the reply. I think the electric pump works as its supposed to and the system itself is not an issue. The battery starts to struggle about day three. Solar may help and I will probably add at some point but my thinking is that adding foot pump will guarantee water supply regardless of electricity. These particular foot pumps are bomb-proof having used them for many years cruising on sailboats and they free up your hands to wash the dishes,etc. A big advantage over hand pumps.

Thanks,
    Todd