For those who bought wheels/tires from eTrailer- Do you have them balanced?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by tfischer, Jun 14, 2018.

1. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Subject says it all. For those who have purchased wheel/tire combos from eTrailer, do you have them balanced at a local tire shop? Or do you just bolt them on and run?

If you did the former, how much did you pay? And was the tire shop put off that you didn't purchase from them?

-Tim

2. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
  3. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I ordered tires for my truck from Walmart and had them delivered to Expressway Oil about a mile from me. There are online tire stores that ship to Pepboy too. If I ever get my camper on the road, I will take it to have the tires balanced.

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Experience as a fleet manager with a major trucking company has taught me that balancing a trailer tire is a waste of money. I have purchased thousands of trailer tires in sizes from 12 inch up 24.5's

myride likes this.
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I always get the tires balanced on all my trailers, boat trailer, trucks and RV's

Whiteycracker likes this.
  6. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    I took mine to a Goodyear place and they said the weight was negligible.

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I don't get the tires balanced on my small trailers....boat, utility, or now gone popup. However, I got them balanced on my TT. I didn't want a vibrating trailer to shake the nice cabinets apart.

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I bought mine 4 years ago from etrailer and just mounted them as is. I have never noticed any sway wiggle or bounce.

9. Fless

Fless Active Member

^^^^ Ditto. Bought them mounted on wheels from eTrailer. Didn't balance them.

10. tfischer

For those who balanced them, what did you pay?

11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I can get tires balanced for 5 bucks if I carry them in.

12. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Per eTrailer, their tire/rim combination in not finished balanced. The manufacturer lines up the heavy spot on the tire with the light spot on the rim. Finish balance is up to you.

All tires are not created equal. The less expensive tires have fewer bands of rubber, more of the rubber pieces are laid together to make a single band, that is then cut and laid on a machine to make a tire. The joint of the single band overlap is heavy. Something is needed to counter balance the heavy joint. High end tires will have the rubber bands laid separate and all the joints scattered around the tire. I have had some high end tires that did not require weights, but they were checked for balance.

I think, just my opinion, if a tire is running on the road, the balance should be checked at the installation. How many treads and straps have you had to dodge on the road? Unbalanced tires vibrate anything attached to them, causing tread hot spots and unnecessary wear on springs, bearings, frames, and anything on/in the trailer. Straps get loose due to shifting loads, due to vibration, and end up on the roadway.

Some tires do not need to be balanced. Mainly on Legos, tricycles, and wheelbarrows.

13. tfischer

So many different results here... from "I never do it" to "If you don't you'll break down on the road"...

My wife called around and balancing is anywhere from $13-25 a tire. Don't know where people are finding it for $5, unless you are related to the shop owner <shrug>. I'll spend the $30 if I have to, but I have a weird personality quirk of hating to overpay for things that I know they're reaming me on. Balancing should take them all of 30 seconds per tire.

14. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    It depends on how much work the shop has to do. If I take the tires off, and the new tires with me, a shop here swaps and balance them for $15, normal is $20. I've never just taken tires to just be balanced. If the shop has to jack or lift the vehicle, remove tires, balance, then put them back on, then then cost will be more.

15. tfischer

The prices I was quoted (and listed above) were for me carrying in the wheels.
    We finally checked Discount Tire and they will do it for $10 a wheel. I will plan on doing that.

16. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Many people don't balance trailer tires/ wheels (and will argue with me)... personally, I do. While you may never feel it, I figure why have excess vibration?? It costs me nothing to do (other than buying the balancer, weights, shop, etc ;)). We get $28 to balance 4 tires.

17. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

May 18, 2009
    Hutto, Texas
    I have easily 30K miles on three campers, two different tire sizes. Never have had a flat. Do not pay for balancing, it is not needed. Spend the money on keeping your bearings and trailer brakes up to speed.

Phoodieman

18. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    I managed a service station for 20 years, got spoiled mounting & balancing my own tires....once I left that job, two of the first things I bought were an iron Tireman (manually operated tire changer), & a cheap bubble balancer from Harbor Freight.....I buy all my tires 'carry out', & mount & balance them myself. I know this option is not for everyone, but a bubble balance is more than adequate for a trailer tire, & the balancer costs less than having a set balanced, & you have it for life.

WrkrBee and soft 17 like this.