? for those with Reflectix

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by Ryanincc, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

I got my roll of 4' X 25' Reflectix to do my bunk ends but Im not sure how to cut them to the perfect size. I want a really clean install so was thinking maybe a template of some sort? Im just wondering how you guys cut yours. Thanks for any insight.
    Ryan

2. gruss

gruss Active Member

I sent my daughter inside, and we taped some thin paper up over the windows, then I held my hand on the zippers from the outside and she used a crayon to do sort of a rubbing on the zipper. This gave us a good base shape, cut out some cardboard using the bottom of the zipper, did a test fit and some more trimming then traced that onto the reflectix and cut with a razor knife.

By the third template I didn't even bother with the cardboard, we had it down...they aren't perfect but if you are less impatient than I am you'll do a much better job.

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I used cardboard. Took my time and ended up with a good fit

4. Ryanincc

Duh! I swear I ask the most obvious questions sometimes. Thanks joey.

5. chiefsou

chiefsou Member

DH didn't want to mess with a template so we just measured the windows. Using a Sharpie he marked the measurements onto the Reflectix and connected the points with a long ruler. He then rough cut a little bit outside the line and cut to fit right as he was fitting it the window. Turned out perfect.

~the chief's wife

6. candleems

candleems Member

Same as Chiefsou.

7. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

and that is the way I did it. Just make full use of the Reflectix by laying out your cuts correctly and you should have several feet left over

8. bfahs

bfahs Member

9. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I made a template with newspaper and masking tape.

11. acevesj

acevesj New Member

Personally... I didn't think that adding the reflectix to just the window would do any good...(But that's just me, I go overkill sometimes). And being the practical and resourceful (lazy) person that I am. I had my wife hold the reflectix material on one end and I held it over the other end (ON THE OUTSIDE!) and without marking anything I simply cut the outline of the window...BAM ! I shoved it in and it was a perfect fit, the poles and the matress keep it in place. True story...
    But there's more...Since I purchase a really big roll, I decided to keep going. So, I ended up cutting up the side walls for the beds as well, using the same technique as described above.
    But, there's more...I still had some left over material, so I proceeded to cut a cover for the long window, AND one for the door and one for the smaller window by the entrance. Long story short, I basically wrapped all the inside of the pup with reflectix. My wife thought I was f****g crazy, and my kids didin't want to be seen with all this extra reflectix in the trailer...UNTIL, we went camping during late fall near the San Diego mountains and it was super windy and COLD. I brought my reflectix walls, mounted them, brought out my Mr.Heater (dual tank) cracked open some zippers for some air flow and boila. We stayed there for 2 nights without and slept super warm everyone of them.

True story... [:D]

12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

For Coleman owners, you need to cover the whole inside bunkhead with Gizmo or reflectix. Covering only windows is not going to do the trick. Cover the whole bunkhead INSIDE, not outside. It worked when I camped in 25 degree weather with little snow and lots of ice.

13. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

With gizmos and reflectix we had the furnace on ant it got too hot in there. It was 38 outside. I kept the camper at 68 and the furnace would cycle once every 45 minutes and stay on for about 5 minutes.my wife didn't think the reflectix we're going to help. Now that's the first thing she does after the camper is set up.put the reflectix in the window

14. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

lol... bought a roll for when I'd be camping solo...figured I'd be cold at night. Climbed in the bunk, cut the corner, fit it in, cut the curve freehand. Fits perfectly and looks great. This is really a 20 minute job for the both bunkends, maybe 15. Don't overthink it. :)

15. Ryanincc

There are PUGs that they sell that go on the inside only for cold weather. I believe they are just called PUG liners.

16. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

I never made the window inserts using reflectix. I used reflectix to make a poor mans Gizmo cover. They worked really great for keeping the bunk ends clean from tree sap and stains. it also helped with solar reflection to keep it cool as well as kept the cool air off that settles down during the night. We camp in NH during Columbus day weekends and it can get below freezing at night. Only took a couple electic heaters to keep warm. No furnace needed.

They work great.

The only problem is that they tend to roll up large. They are hard to store. I used to put them under the dinette table with my patio rug. New camper has a smaller place now due to the U dinette. :( Going to have to figure something else out.

Vin.

17. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I held up a piece of Reflectix to the unzipped window and cut around the zipper with a pair of scissors. Perfect fit inside the window.