Forest River Bunk Door Latch Adjustment 2013 and newer

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Davylee, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

May 4, 2009
    Maine
    This was posted on the Forest River Forum. This adjustment is for the newer style roto vise latches. I have not personally tried this yet. Here is the link for the adjustment of the latches. It will not correct for warped doors.
    http://kencon.us/lock-how-to-info/

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  2. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Jun 8, 2012
    That doesn't look anything like the cargo latches my Roo used. What exactly are they trying to adjust? In 4 years mine never needed adjusted nor can I think of why they would need to be

3. bikendan

bikendan Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Rocky, FR changed over to the Roto Vise door latching system, 2-3 year's ago.
    I've seen those instructions numerous times on Forest River Forums.
    Apparently the adjustment instructions work.

4. RockyRoo

Jun 8, 2012
    Is that the one with handles on the bottom of the door and the slide bars going up the sides to secure it? Mine just had the big clunky baggage style latches

5. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

May 4, 2009
    Maine
    Yeah Rocky this is for the new type latches like you described. That was the first time I have seen instructions for it so I would post over here for those who dont use the FR forum. Some folks have complained about leaking from the seals, whether it is from not understanding everything needs to be clean or improper adjustment from the factory, some folks don't know. SO an extra 25lbs of force may help them out with the leaking if they were improperly adjusted.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  6. RockyRoo

Jun 8, 2012
    That actually was the final driving force that caused me to decide to ditch my 13 233, after 2 years of intermittent leaks in the middle of the rear bunk top seal I had enough. I tried cleaning the seals and surfaces, made sure everything still looked good, but there was no way to adjust them. I think the style you showed was a mid year upgrade, mine was one of the first 13's built in April. I hope the adjustments help that, other than that little leak I absolutely loved that coach and the little things I didn't like they have fixed over the past couple model years.

7. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    The rotovise latches are plastic garbage. I have not broken one yet but I also carry spare parts, I know it's just a matter of time. They have a cam arrangement which engages a pin type deal mounted to the door, and that alignment is critical. I have yet to see one at a dealer or show with the rotovise latches adjusted correctly. The info posted by DL should be used by anyone that has one.

Having had two others with the LCI doors, and you know I am not any type of fan of LCI, the doors on this Roo leave me shaking my head. Forest River should use the LCI doors. (Did I actually just type that?) The seal is continuous, no square corners, and the hinge is a rock solid extruded continuous assembly like a piano hinge. The hinge is a weak area with the rivits on the Roos. Both are now loosening up on mine and when that happens it reduces pressure on the seals at the lower sides. Did you not send yours back to Millersburg for the hinges? I have been thinking of a fix which may involve a continuous weld requiring tent removal. I have the guy for that.

I did not show you the drip caps I made for above my doors when we were at Laurel but its almost impossible for the top seals to leak with them in place. That said the doors on ours have never leaked even before I installed those, but the seals on this one were installed perfect originally, unlike most I have seen in person or in forum pictures. Or that first POS they shipped us.

BTW,
    I picked up a nice new set of hole saws yesterday, know anyone with a Grand Design I can try them out on?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017