Forgot how loud the Aliner bubble windows are in the rain

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by nhlakes, Jan 3, 2018.

1. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    At 4:20am I was reminded how loud these Aliner bubble windows are in the rain. Has anyone tried to quiet them with insulation? This is actually the first time the rain has awakened me (and kept me awake). My wife, apparently much smarter than I, appears to have ear plugs in. ;)

On the up side it is 50F here at Disney's Ft Wilderness in FL at the moment. Which is much better than the 3F we left in DE Mon AM, or the 20F we left at Santee SP yesterday AM...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. KJ Sunshine

KJ Sunshine New Member

Dec 29, 2017
    I would go for 99 cent earplugs!!!

DiamondGirl likes this.
  3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I love sleeping in a tent/under canvas in the rain. Not sure what the bubble windows sound like, but consider it white noise, or get some ear plugs.

4. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

We keep extra ear plugs in our Aliner for many reasons.

During a stay at the campground. We had a loud family with several kids on one side and a golden couple with four small barking dogs on the other. And while boondocking, the elk were bugleing all night. Since then, we always have ear plugs on board for those very reasons: kids, pets, loud campers, and wild animals.

I love looking through the bubble windows during rain storms. It makes you appreciate how lucky to be inside, and dry while camping. Especially during the monsoon season in northern AZ with afternoon showers.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

5. Sushidog

Sushidog Member

Jan 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I put Reflectix inside my bubbles and over my windows not only for temperature insulation but for sound deadening as well.

[​IMG]

They just push in the bubbles and stay in perfectly. They can be removed at any time, though I never do.

Chip

6. JoePAz

JoePAz Active Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I have dormers, but I was in a hail storm in Colorado this summer. I thought my daughter and I would go deaf. We did not, but were also happy to out of the line of fire. So traded one problem for another, but that was a good problem.

7. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    Our large bubbles thunder like parade drums in heavy rain. I am working on removable 7x3 horizontal canvas awnings supported by pvc tubing to fit horizontally above the bubbles in the noon sun, or in heavy rain.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  8. Sterman

Sterman Member

Apr 18, 2011
    abq, nm
    I love to hear the sounds of the elk bugling, only heard that once or twice but it was great, although loud when they're close by!
    Coyotes are also nice to hear. People and dogs, not so much.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  9. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    For some reason, rain on the bubble windows doesn't bother me. Now large acorns being hurled down upon us from great heights by evil squirrels is a very disturbing wake up call. Honestly, it sounded like someone was trying to shoot out the windows. No sleeping in late on that trip. :rolleyes:

10. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Nov 25, 2015
    Rain does not bother us either. I enjoy it.
    The last time we were in ANS, an entire herd of horses gallpoed through our campsite. You could hear them coming. That was something!

Strawhouse and DiamondGirl like this.
  11. TNW

TNW New Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Vermont
    I've heard this too, acorns sound like rocks against the panels. I too can see those wicked little squirrels aiming for the bubble windows and high-fiving each other for an accurate throw. It's enough to wake me up out of a deep sleep.

12. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    We love to listen to the noise from the rain hit on our camper roof. We see it like one of nature music and enjoy it - unless the roof is leaking.