Forgot to take my crank handle off

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by Jeep Guy, May 28, 2019.

1. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

We went on a trip this weekend 5 hours from home. When we were about 4 hours away we stopped at a gas station and I was checking out the camper while we were stopped. That is when it hit me, I had forgotten to remove the crank handle used to raise the top. It had fallen off somewhere down the road. Luckily our crank has the square metal tube sticking out that the crank handle slide into. Within a mile from leaving the gas station, I saw an Ace Hardware. I carry a Crescent wrench in my tool bag, but it was too small to fit on the 1" square tube so I bought a large wrench at the Ace Hardware. It took about 10 minutes to raise the top but at least we could get it open. I ordered a new crank handle while I was at the campground and it should arrive in a week or so. It was just a matter of time that I forgot to take the handle off. I will keep the large Crescent wrench in my tool bag from now on, just in case.

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sometimes Sh$$ happens!! At least you were able to figure out a work around so you could still enjoy your trip!

Jeep Guy likes this.
  3. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

Yep, my wife was about to go into panic mode. I will definitely pay extra attention to the crank handle from now on.

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I never did it, but always feared it.

Before we bought our pup with an electric winch, that was always my greatest fear - forgetting the crank handle. I can't tell you how many times I would have to pull over to double check the back of the vehicle to make sure it was there.

5. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I bought a socket at a flea market for just this reason. Glad the rest of the trip went well.

6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

After I hitch up I always do a walk around at least three times. I have the same fear of not putting the crank back in it's storage place!

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

A second crank was one of the first things we bought for our Cobalt - I'd seen enough reports here on the Portal of lost and forgotten cranks that it seemed wise to have a second one in hand.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

On my old Jayco the door opened even when the roof was down so I always stored the crank just inside the door. If yours is not as convenient perhaps a small storage box attached to the back bumper of the camper just big enough for the crank. If I had no place on my camper to put it, I would forget it for sure.

9. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Oh boy....Ive done worse. The fact that you were able to recover is what counts. Glad you were able to continue.

10. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Lucky. I always carry spares of key systems. Another trick is to "Candy Stripe" your crank handle with red duct tape. Makes it standout so you won't miss it when you do a final walk around.

SEE, just don't look!
    This is what I say to myself every time setup and take down. Seeing connects the eyes to the brain where looking doesn't. Came up with that on my X-Country trip when I have to setup and take down almost everyday, by myself. In a situation like that it's miss something.

kitphantom likes this.
  11. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

"Candy Striping" the crank handle gives me an idea. I think I will buy some bright orange paint and paint the new crank handle so I cannot miss it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    PopUpSteve and PointyCamper like this.
  12. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

For some reason Starcraft put a storage spot for the crank molded into the inside of the door. But when the roof is all the way down, you cannot open the door. I just take it off and stick it on the floor in my vehicle. Except for this past time when I forgot it. :)

13. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

That works too. That's what I did to my receiver so I could line it up better in the rear view camera. I spray it under the locking hood so it's also a reminder that the hood is up.

14. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

My new crank handle came in today. I gave it a few coats of Rustoleum orange paint. It definitely stands out much better than it did before. Hopefully this will help me see that it is there before I take off with it on the camper again. [​IMG]

15. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

If nothing else, it'll be easier to find lying on the side of the road! [LOL] I feel I earned the right to joke about this after leaving my wdh wrench on top of my lp tanks last fall... and of course driving away....

Jeep Guy, Sjm9911 and bols2Dawall like this.
  16. the-one1

the-one1 New Member

I wonder who's the genius that came up with that idea.

Milemaker13 and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

I wonder who's car found your crank handle?? Yikes!

18. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I always thought that there would be a day when would I leave the crank handle in there and loose it, same as you did. So many years ago, during a slow boring day at work, I decided to make a spare handle and keep it on board for a backup. I haven't needed it yet, but there will come a day.....
    Good idea to paint it orange.
    The one I made is the black one on the bottom.

Winch crank #1.JPG

Jeep Guy likes this.
  19. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Ok... I have to share... maybe someone will appreciate it (some won't)... 2-3 years ago, I had two gals approach me, wondering how long I was staying because they wanted to borrow my crank... Laughed my a$$ off internally, but of course helped out (as intended).

Milemaker13 likes this.
  20. bheff

bheff Active Member

What is a crank handle [RTM][LOL]:D
    (I use a switch, but do have a handle just in case)