Former Scoutmaster passed away..

Discussion in 'Best Wishes/Remembrances for Loved Ones & Friends' started by Grizzly_Wayne, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

Last Saturday evening, my former Scoutmaster passed away at the age of 91. Mr. Berger was my neighbor, I met him when I was about 6. He was our local troops Scoutmaster. I joined when I was 12. He was more than my neighbor and Scoutmaster, he was kind of an adopted grandpa. He taught us how to fish, how to swim, how to use a compass, tie a Bowline, how to start a fire in the rain. He taught us the Scout Oath, Scout Law, but more importantly he taught us what it was like to live by them. He pinned on my Eagle Award at my ceremony. He taught us that if it was done good enough, it wasn't done right. We learned to leave a campsite cleaner than we found it ( something I am teaching my daughter). He was larger than life. I'm going to miss the hell out of the guy..but I'll do my best to honor him every chance I get. Godspeed, Mr. Berger

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers.

3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

My condolences. Those old Scoutmasters were a class of their own. Mine was a mechanic and could make anything run. We had an old scout bus and it was always being "upgraded", but always ready for a camping trip. Died young because he chained smoked. We still talk about him fondly because he dragged us all over the southeast camping, hot or cold.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Sorry for your loss, The older leaders are a vanishing breed and it is hard to replace the teachers from days of yore. All we can do is to attempt to go forward with their teachings as well as try to teach those younger that we are the things we were taught by the older generation..

5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Sounds like the world lost a great man, but also like he did a wonderful job of sharing his skills and knowledge. Sorry to hear of your loss.

6. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

Thank you everyone. I am heading back to Tampa Saturday for the memorial service. Many of the former scouts are coming back. We are going to retire the troop flag and present it to his remaining family. I would like to set up a Scholarship of some sort in his memory. I may talk to the current Scoutmaster of the troop. He was friends with Mr. Berger. I am thinking of a scholarship for summer camp for the kids who's families struggle to put the money together. More than once I saw the old man pull out his own money to make sure a kid got to go to summer camp.

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I understand how you feel. My deaf Scoutmaster passed away, served for 50 years and I was his last Eagle Scout. Felt an honor learning from him. So much wisdom from his talking hands. I never met anyone like him again... Most of my camping skills came from him. I am sure you feel the same now.

Grizzly_Wayne likes this.
  8. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

They seem to be a lost breed anymore. Sounds like your SM was cut from the same cloth.

9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sorry for your loss! He passed on his knowledge to you to carry on and pass along!
    Our Scoutmaster is planning on leaving this coming December. He informed us he will not be renewing his membership. He has been the Scoutmaster for the troop since 1959. He is an Eagle from the troop as well. The older Scoutmasters are few and far between. My son and I learned a lot from him. I just can't imagine what it's going to be like when he is not the Scoutmaster anymore. Worse is how do we even find a new Scoutmaster to take over? That is a lot of knowledge to loose!!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Grizzly_Wayne likes this.
  10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

If only every kid had a mentor like that. And if only we all could be such a mentor to someone. Sorry for your loss.

11. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Scouts in Canada has certainly changed over the years, less and less kids joining all the time. I was a troop leader for a number of years, and us old guys some how feel a connection to other leaders. I'm very sorry for your loss of someone who sounds like one heck of a stand up guy. Setting up a Scholarship in his name would be a great tribute to him.

12. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

That's definitely a huge slot to fill. We were very fortunate in that the leader who took over had two sons in the troop and was a great leader. He was the county fire rescue chief. We did things a little different but he did a great job. It's never easy when you are so used to doing things a certain way. It will be up to you to carry on the knowledge