Found this on CL Is the work worth it?

Discussion in 'Deals too good not to share!' started by Fuzzy Bear, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    Always been a fan of the A-frames and eventually want to get one for the ease of setup. Was looking around craigslist and found this https://hartford.craigslist.org/rvs/d/liner-camper/6643566503.html. Not familiar with the particular model, though its listed as an A-liner, it's small but it's only the two of us (or possibly just me if the DW comes home to find a second trailer in the driveway). While I don't really have the time or resources to take on a major project right now I know from looking they usually go depending on the year and condition in the 4K and up price ranges. What I'm curious about from anyone who has done a major rebuild of an A frame how difficult would replacing the entire floor be? I found the bubble windows online for around $300 each and I don't think replacing them would be too difficult. Not sure if I'm trying to talk myself into or out of taking a look at this (it's a couple hours drive from me).

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Welcome to my world......... The biggest thing to me is, is this the model and size I want. We looked at A frames and the small ones where too small for us because the beds are on the inside taking up a lot of room.
    You have to think about the time and money you would use to make this camper just the way you want and what are its limits.

3. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    I highly doubt I'll pursue this since I'm in the process of getting a new roof for my house which is going to dip deep into the savings account. The size doesn't really bother me, our Coleman Columbia isn't a whole lot bigger and like most the majority of our time is spent outside when camping. Just with that price it's tempting even for a possible flip.

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

That thing is weird with the door on the wrong side. And those stickers put on wrong just makes me think There's more trouble with this than advertised.

5. chartle

chartle New Member

Apr 18, 2018
    Pgh, PA
    or the image is flipped. ;)

Actually I think they are all flipped. :) Look at the one that shows the thermostat, looks backwards.

flipped.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  6. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Is that the actual price, $575? Darn, at that price I'd nearly be willing to drive from Texas and flip it.

On another note I'd thought about building one from ground up, particularly as a tiny home for ease of transport to a building site. These A liners are just like an A frame cabin on a mini scale. Who knows, portable/collapsible A frames might become the next rage in tiny homes. General Contractor talking here.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    Dan as you're in Texas check this one:
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rvs/6643602311.html

Depending on the condition of the interior, the price may be way high. If all that's wrong is the heater and no front wheels, then I'd offer no more than 3500 for it. I got mine (in which everything works) for 4K just last month.

Dan from Troup likes this.
  8. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    You have a pic of yours? If/when I pick up another camper it will probably be a handyman special and try to flip for profit. From what I've seen though on PUP restorations here one can easily go over budget and maybe break even.

This camper looks interesting and I'd be curious how it looks inside too. Thanks for sharing. Do you mind if I ask your real name?

9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    here are photos and info on mine. http://www.popupportal.com/threads/fold-n-roll-comes-home.118289/

It's small but has more room than one would think. The two large dogs and myself and a friend can visit in it for an afternoon comfortably. I did switch out the dinette table for a tv tray - not so bulky and more versatile.

I am concerned that this owner doesn't include any photos except the one exterior. I always figure they've gutted things. I have read of folks who remove bathrooms, kitchens, etc., because "I don't need them" and then expect to sell the RV at a premium rate.

I sent you a PM on my name - I don't post it online.

10. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    There are a lot of fake ads being place on Craigslist all over the country right now. It's about capturing your email addy.

11. chartle

chartle New Member

Apr 18, 2018
    Pgh, PA
    Is it possible that's why all the pics are reversed? To fool an image search?

12. rickthecabbie

rickthecabbie Member

Jun 27, 2018
    My first reaction was this looks way too good to be true.
    Then I read that last line, and it became a bit more realistic.
    "Floor and dome windows need to be replaced."
    I would answer with my public G-Mail address, the worst thing that could happen is I get more spam
    to block.

13. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Looks like a late 90s or early 2000s Aliner Sportliner. It would have an 8' box 6' wide.

Reading between the lines I'm guessing it will need the box lifted and a new floor slid under after removing the old floor.

I don't see a broken bubble but if it has been leaking the roof will also need replaced. Believe it or not, replacing the roof is more difficult and way more expensive than the floor.

You want a project for several months?

14. Customer

Jun 5, 2014
    If the roof is good; the bubble windows have no frame or fasteners. You have to use an adhesive caulk and build a jig/frame to clamp the bubble down while the adhesive caulk cures.

15. Customer

Jun 5, 2014
    Pictures are reversed, the Ford Edge in one picture has the letters/numbers on the plate reversed.

16. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Some of these phishing attempts can turn into identity theft, don’t forget. The whole point to the last line about needed repairs is to get more people to send the email. If there’s not a phone number listed, it’s safer to ignore the ad and move on. Here’s a good article about it;

https://www.emailfinder.com/resources/art-craigslist-email-scams.html

17. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    Am not going to bother contacting them on it. The work doesn't scare me as much as the "too good to be true" on the price. It may be perfectly legitimate but not worth the risk since I already have a perfectly good camper. I routinely scan through CL as well as other venues just to see what's out there even though I'm very happy with my little Columbia. If I was in the market for a camper though I would probably take the chance with a throw away e-mail address just to see if it is what it says.

18. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    What if it isn't a fake add. The owner could be clueless and just wants to get rid of the camper. The floor needing to be replaced is vague. Does it need a whole floor or just some floor or new floor covering? Does it really need windows or are they just scratched?

19. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    Listing is gone. I hope someone got a great deal and is preparing to make a great little camper out of it.