Found this...

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Rik Peery, Jul 13, 2018 at 9:55 PM.

1. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    nineoaks2004 and Orchid like this.
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Neat site, thanks for sharing

Rik Peery likes this.
  3. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    These "Top Lists" always make me smile. It's all so subjective...

I've spent quite a bit of time at Donner Lake (#5). The state park is quite nice- and they've just redone the visitor's center and the area around the memorial. It's interesting to walk through the park, as you can see some of the locations where the Donner Party hunkered down during that fateful winter.

The entire area can get stupid busy during the summer months. And I really wouldn't classify it as Top 20 in the nation in terms of beauty (there's that subjectivity...). For my money, I'd stay somewhere on or near Lake Tahoe and do Donner as a day trip.

Rik Peery likes this.
  4. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    Made me smile also... We just (like a few weeks ago) stayed at #4 Devils Lake State Park. The overall park was nice and the beach is great. However the list says beautiful "campsites." The campground was your basic average Midwest campground (well, the showerhouse was better than average) and was not near anything scenic. And our site was actually pretty crappy - fairly sloped and the driveway had ruts because there was very little gravel left. Also I was a little salty right from the start because turns out if you are not a WI resident, you have to buy a window sticker for $16 a day or $38 a year - so even though I paid nearly $40 a night for the campsite, I had to pay another $38 just to park my vehicle on it. (maybe this is normal? my first time at an out-of-state state park). I feel like this is a list of cool state parks, not campgrounds.

Rik Peery likes this.
  5. gatorbait

gatorbait Upstate, SC

Jan 7, 2006
    Spartanburg, SC
    Seriously?! Myrtle Beach and Ocean Lakes?! We have so many parks better than those! I do agree with Dreher Island. I would say this list is geared towards big rig friendly and popular. Although the clothing optional in PA made me scratch my head!

Rik Peery likes this.
  6. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Well, it was apparently done through info gleaned from foursquare, so I'd think the usual Internet "grain of salt" rule would be applicable here. [:D]

gatorbait likes this.
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Active Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    Well, according to the title, it's the most beautiful CAMPSITES. I didn't see any campsites in the photos.

And that photo for Donner is actually of Donner Lake from the highway scenic overlook. Neither the lake nor the overlook are part of Donner Pass Memorial State Park. The lake is on the eastern side of the pass and is surrounded by private homes.

Rik Peery likes this.
  8. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Just for the record, there's quite a bit of public access to the lake, including on the east side from the park. There's also a nice beach on the west side, that gets to looking like Coney Island on busy summer weekends.

9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Active Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    Yes, but there is no camping. Which is the subject of the article.

10. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    There's camping on the east side, at the state park, which also has lots of lake access.

If one wants more of a "beach vibe", they can travel the several miles over to the west side, which, yes, is not part of the park.