FR Rockwood high walls remodel: can this be done?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Katskamper, Dec 6, 2018.

rockwood highwall - move furniture?

1. yes move sofa & cabinet

66.7%
  2. no, it will not work

33.3%
  1. Tikker

Tikker Member

man, it's 3500lbs dry too. that's just crazy

2. Turfit

Turfit New Member

What is your tow vehicle???

3. KamperKel

KamperKel Active Member

We tow with my 2003 Dodge Durango or my husband's 2007 Dodge Durango. Both vehicles can tow with no problems.

Turfit likes this.
  4. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Strange, I was just reading through this thread last night and this morning I passed a Rockwood HW for sale for what
    seemed to be a pretty reasonable price. It was down, so no telling what options it had, but it was the darker tan/brown
    color so I figure it's newish, as to the year at least. Not sure of the model, but it was the BIG one w/dual axles.
    $5900.00 is what the price was, it was on a very small used car lot that the owner seems to always have a TT or two
    for sale.

5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

If I was in the market for a highwall popup I'd be looking for a used Fleetwood Highlander model as the closed height of these trailers is dramatically less than these Rockwood highwalls which are ridiculously tall. As I recall the most popular Fleetwood Niagara was ~ 5' 4" tall when closed and even the dual axle monster 2011 Avalon was only 5' 7" - that's not anywhere near as tall as these Rockwood highwalls which are just under 7' ! [EEK] In that case one might as well be towing a full height travel trailer. :tongue:

neighbormike likes this.
  6. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Wow, maybe this was a Fleetwood Avalon cuz no way it was 7’ tall. That’s not a lot shorter than my dark side unit

7. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Maybe the almost 7' includes AC?

My Fleetwood is (as far as I can tell) basically a Niagara without the microwave and is about 5'8", and that's after an axle "flip" but without measuring the AC (because I don't have it). It seems kind of ginormous to me!

8. GreyFox

Nope, that's the height of the Rockwood roof when it's down in the travel position - 6'7", 6'7", and 6'9" for the 3 current highwall models. A standard A/C like a Coleman Mach 3+ would add another 13". :eek:

http://www.forestriverinc.com/camping-trailers/rockwood-tent

Your 2008 Arcadia's spec'd height is 5' 4", a heck of a lot shorter than these Rockwood highwalls. [A]

9. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

That's just weird. I've been inside them (the 2018 model Rockwoods) and they don't seem much taller inside. I wonder where they put the height. Better ground clearance maybe? I think they do have bigger tires and a double step to get in.

KamperKel likes this.
  10. GreyFox

Yeah, not sure, but your Arcadia is plenty high enough inside.