free camping site website

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by jdefazio, Jun 22, 2015.

1. jdefazio

jdefazio New Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Thought I would share this

http://freecampsites.net/

2. bldmtnrider

bldmtnrider Member

Aug 28, 2014
    I'm not sure about other states, but based on what I saw from the campsites listed for Colorado that list should be taken with a grain of salt.

I can think of at least 20 NF areas with easy access that are missing and some of the ones posted are for 4wd/high clearance campers or tent camping. Gotta be careful on some of them as the road up is single lane with no good turn around before the trail gets nasty. Might find yourself backing up a mile or 2 if you don't have the clearance.

If you are going to Colorado and using this website, know what you are getting yourself into before you go and leave plenty of time for other arrangements.

3. Kittyhawksurf

Kittyhawksurf Work, family, surf, eat, camp.

Aug 16, 2014
    Funny. I was just browsing that site before I came to the portal.

4. Ductape

Ductape Member

Jun 12, 2013
    A bunch of the 'free campsites' listed in my home state of NH are Park And Ride parking lots owned by the state and designated for people who car pool to work. No way I'd ever attempt to camp in one. The state would definitely frown on that.

5. bob barnes

bob barnes Active Member

Mar 26, 2017
    When camping in Europe with our gps we discovered most small cities had camping parks. Cheap and very clean!!

6. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    I will say the same about the grain of salt. I viewed the Moab area just for fun and many were actually paid sites, some were noted as parking lots, and in that area, there are hundreds of acres of places you can set up and camp for free (many areas require toilets); most on BLM lands, some on National Forest land. And that is not counting state lands where you can camp for free.

It might be a good place to get an idea of what is available, understanding it is not correct. Out here in the west, if you are looking for free places to setup a trailer, contact the local BLM/FS offices and they can help you out with all the details. When east of the rockies, not sure who you would contact other than the NF.

7. Rlechner85

Rlechner85 New Member

Feb 27, 2016
    I live in Colorado, and a great website is Campendium.com.

threebeachboys likes this.
  8. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    Treat this like Wikipedia, verify by other means!!

While on my CA to MN and back road trip last year, I used this site. 3 spots popped up in South Dakota, first one was a boat landing, no camping. Second was a closed county park, gate closed no night use. The third I never found...

Very much the same in IL, even the links on the site were misinformation.

I would say my success rate was 50%, which is drastically less than desirable.

I wrote reviews and messaged the person who runs the site and they did make an effort, but they are not able to verify each spot.