Freezing in Florida

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Orchid, Nov 15, 2016.

1. frankvanw1

frankvanw1 London, Ontario, Canada

Orchid,
    Heated mattress pads are the way to go; as the heat goes up under you. Unlike an electric blanket; as the heat goes up and above you. Like this one: heated mattress pads
    I have used them here in Ontario Canada, in the fall. With a ceramic heater like this one. ceramic heater
    One ceramic heater on 'high' runs about 12.5 amps. So two heaters on 'high' will trip a 15 amp breaker. Two heaters on the 'low' setting may not trip a 15 amp breaker as each heater is about 6.25 amps each.
    BTW: most campgrounds are closed for the season here. :(
    Good luck and happy camping.

2. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

ha ha good one....

you spelled you'all wrong though.... it's "ya'll"... plural tense it's "all ya'll"

3. jumpoff

By the way, if i could, I'd gladly trade Disney away

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Wow, small world! Most of my family there are Carpenters.

We are from East Side. Graham Heights and have owned places in Meadowdale and out Burnt Cabin Road, off East Grafton Road.

You beat me to it! [:D]

Thanks. Yeah, I figured if they were cheaper we would sleep on top of electric blankets. Wouldn't use them on top. :)

Camping season pretty much year round here. A couple months in summer when it's really hot so best to camp at the beach or springs, which are plentiful here. I don't swim in rivers here, due to gators, although the natives don't seem to have a problem with it. [:O]

NOOOOOOOOOO! Disney is my second love, after camping. It's honestly one of the top 3 reasons I moved to Florida. [LOL]

5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I was living in Jax when they were building it. 1971.

6. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

Wow, small world! Most of my family there are Carpenters.

We are from East Side. Graham Heights and have owned places in Meadowdale and out Burnt Cabin Road, off East Grafton Road.

I've been teaching at EF since 1989....you might know me.

Sent from my iPad

7. Orchid

My very first visit was in December 1971. I had just turned 8 years old a couple of weeks prior. I will never forget my first look down Main Street.

Although we lived up north, we went the 2nd week of December every year for the rest of my childhood. I went there on both of my honeymoons. We took our kids as often as possible when they were growing up. Unfortunately, it got pricier, so we didn't go every year like when I was a child.

Upon moving to FL ten years ago, the first thing I did was secure annual passes and proceed to spend a good deal of my life there. [LOL] Although we live only 90 minutes away, we don't do day trips. Staying onsite and immersing myself in everything Disney, including their transportation, is all part of the experience.

In the first 90 days of 2013, we spent 30 of them on Disney property. Yeah, I am a total addict. Unfortunately, in June of that year, one of our adult sons was very critically injured. Spent the first year in Gainesville UF Shands with him, the second year in rehab, and just this year getting back to fun. Starting camping with him last fall, and our maiden voyage (post injury) is the first week of December.

Our trip starts just one week after we get back from a week of camping, that is a 4 generation trip. I hope it's not too much, too close together. It's just so beautiful in the day time this time of year. It's like extended fall with full sun, as I'm sure you know. [:D] But the nights .... brrrrrrr

8. Orchid

I'm going to PM you. :)

OMG - I just caught your user name! Bees! East Fairmont! Wow!

9. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

[​IMG]
    Guess you don't miss this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. tombiasi

Being form Jersey, the nights were somewhat of a relief. It got down to the 80's. :)

11. Orchid

Nope, I sure don't! I'm so thankful to be able to camp year round now.

[LOL] Well, I'm from WV, which is pretty darn cold. The most recently place we lived was on a mountain, so it was horrid.

Even so, I love this FL heat! I like to sit in the car and bake for a few before starting it up. This never goes over well unless I'm alone.

Early this summer, we were tent camping. I had the electric heater going and woke up about 3 am and DH was missing. Went out and found him sitting in a chair with sweat pouring off of him. Not sure why he didn't just turn off the heater, but I did it for him. I thought the temperature was comfortable. He sleeps with a fan on him.

12. tombiasi

Just a question, not insinuating anything, but do you have horns?

13. Orchid

[LOL] Nope. And I love Jesus, so will never meet anyone that does.

In all fairness, I have to admit that my body lacks the ability to produce a certain hormone that helps maintain body temperature. The hormone only plays a small part, and obviously I can still maintain, for the most part. It does make me get cold faster than average people and have a much higher tolerance for heat.

I think it would be a safe guess that I am the only one who camps with a heater in the summer, in Florida. I don't usually subject my family to it. I was in a separate room in the tent and usually only warmed up my section until I could be comfortable, then turned it off. In this case, I fell asleep and it warmed up the entire tent. [:O]

14. jumpoff

I'll pop for DNA testing...you and my wife have to be related.

15. Orchid

[LOL]

16. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Is the Global Warming a conspiracy theory?

17. jumpoff

we're talking about "wife warming" here....but yes, I think it's a conspiracy [:D]

18. Orchid

Problem solved. I purchased this heater and it came today:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005M03ER4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's currently 49 degrees outside. I put the heater in the PUP and within 30 minutes it was warm from one end to the other. It's actually up to nearly 80 on both bunks, with the heater centered. I will have to turn it down shortly. The only place staying a big cool is the floor and the area about 6" above the floor. It is currently 71 in those low areas.

This is a big load of my mind. The PUP is holding heat fine. It was just the $12 Walmart heaters that were not doing a good job. I guess all space heaters are not created equal.

19. Orchid

It's 3:00 am in the camper and 47 degrees outside. It's so hot in here that I turned the heater off and a fan on. Looks like I can stop stressing about freezing on our winter trips. [PU]

20. jumpoff

Have fun camping on your Thanksgiving Holiday Orchid. That's right about space heaters, they are not created equal. Are you using a heating blanket or not ? My DW has a heated throw. Last march we camped in NC in March. She had the heated throw on all night and we ran our space heater all night when it was 29 outside. It kept the inside temps at about 40-45 and when we got up we turned a second heater on which put us in the 60's. It was really kind of fun.