Fresh Water Tank Leak

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by cahillprc2, May 2, 2018.

1. cahillprc2

cahillprc2 Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Catonsville, Md
    Getting ready to use the Fresh water system for the first time since we purchased a new Somerset E2 from dealer. I'm in the process of sanitizing the system, flushing the water heater, and checking/repairing a few leaks. Biggest concern is that it appeared that water was flowing pretty badly from the top of the tank. Before I drop the tank to check for cracks etc, does anyone know if some have an overflow valve on top or any other reason it would be leaking from the top?? I have an extended warranty that should cover any repair but sure would hate to miss camping waiting for it to be repaired. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP :smiley:

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    The tank should be sealed., to prevent contaminates from entering.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    If you bought it new, and it is still under warranty I would take it back to the dealer and let him worry about it (my opinion) If you start making repairs it could void the warranty.

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Was the tank full when it was leaking? I had a leak in mine but it was due to a rotted/cracked fill hose, and the drain valve was bad. Got both replaced but I apparently did not seal or tape the drain valve right as it has a slow leak around the threads. The plastic for my tank is pretty thick so I doubt it would crack unless it was hit by something hard below while in transit or if it was not drained over winter and ice caused the problem.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    If it's under warranty, have the dealer check it out. On our TT, we had a small leak near the top of the tank, not on top. It turned out to be a defective plastic weld, in the region of the vent and filler tube connections. It was repaired under warranty, but they had to remove the tank and re-install it after the weld was repaired.

6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

My tank is definitely not sealed, there is an overflow near the top. When I fill it I always look to see if water is coming out of there, then I stop filling.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    On our TT, the vent tube connects to a screened opening next to the filler opening, in the same assembly. When the tanks gets close to full, air whistles out of the vent screen, especially if I'm filling it quickly. If I don't slow down on filling it, water will come out of the vent - I try to avoid that.