Fresh Water Tank moldy/mildew after winter

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Snowman, May 29, 2018.

1. Snowman

Snowman Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Boulder, CO
    So, I've had the PUP out several times this spring after a long winter's nap, but this past weekend was the first that was warm enough to use the fresh water tank. I quickly filled the tank before departure on Friday then hit the road. Needless to say, that water was gross. Pretty strong taste of Mildew/Mold. I am about to pour a few ounces of bleach in there and fill it up, but if that's NOT the way to go, I'd love to hear about it from you folks.
    So, anyone has experience with this?
    To be perfectly honest, there is a slight chance that the flavor came from the water in the hose that had been sitting for months since it was only running for a few seconds before I started filling the tank. If that's the issue, that water has been replaced. Still thinking about going the bleach route, though, if there are no caveats there.

Thanks!

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Bleach the tank, run water thru all the lines ,let it sit for a couple of hours then empty it, fill and do run water until the bleach smell is gone, then fill with new water. Would not hurt to bleach the hose out too you should be ready to go them.

Snowman likes this.
  3. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I bleach mine every year too. I find it helps to try getting the tank as empty/dry as possible when going into long term storage too.

Good Luck

4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    Rather than regular bleach, I use the chlorine granules for pools and hot tubs. About 1 tbsp for 40 gallons. I partially fill tank, add granules, the fill the rest of the way. Leave overnight.Then drain through all the faucets until empty (both hot and cold).

With the granules, you don't have to do a second drain to get rid of the icky taste. And if a little is still in your tank, it's no different than chlorinated city water.

HamClan4 likes this.
  5. Snowman

Snowman Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Boulder, CO
    how much bleach is sufficient? It's a 10 gallon tank.

6. SmoreTime

SmoreTime New Member

Nov 7, 2017
    Delta, BC
    QUOTE="Snowman, post: 1202703, member: 96365"]how much bleach is sufficient? It's a 10 gallon tank.[/QUOTE]
    For a 10 gallon tank mix a quarter cup in a gallon of water. Add that to the tank, then fill the tank with fresh water, run it through the taps and let it sit overnight.

Here's a good set of instructions:
    https://www.sanidumps.com/sanitizervfreshwatersystem.php

I left mine in over 24 hrs, rinsed it out a few times and it worked great!

HamClan4 and Snowman like this.
  7. Snowman

Snowman Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Boulder, CO
    For a 10 gallon tank mix a quarter cup in a gallon of water. Add that to the tank, then fill the tank with fresh water, run it through the taps and let it sit overnight.

Here's a good set of instructions:
    https://www.sanidumps.com/sanitizervfreshwatersystem.php

I left mine in over 24 hrs, rinsed it out a few times and it worked great![/QUOTE]
    Great! Thanks for the link!

8. Pozi

Pozi Member

Feb 17, 2016
    I'm a believer in driving the PUP around for an afternoon while sanitizing the water tank to get that agitation effect.

MsMy132319 likes this.
  9. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    During the last dry camping trip in the fall, I park the camper on the side of the road on an angle to drain the tank as much as possible.