Fresh water tank

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Ryan Raymond, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Ryan Raymond

Ryan Raymond New Member

Jul 23, 2018
    I have a 1997 starcraft popup i recently purchased. Anyone know what size the fresh water tank is or how/where to find this info? I am looking for portable gray water tanks and I am trying to determine the best size. My pup has a sink and shower if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

2. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Google the specs for your particular model. Should be easy to find.

3. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I think on my 2008 Viking it’s 23 gallons. Out of curiosity why do you ask? Are you shopping Gray water tanks in the same size?

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    You want a portable tank that you can easily handle. When its full you empty it

5. Ryan Raymond

Ryan Raymond New Member

Jul 23, 2018
    It is a two-fold question. I would like to know for personal knowledge, figure out how feasible/ practical it is to use the shower when camping, how much showering can be done. It will also help me figure out the best gray water tanks.

I believe I have decided on the gray water tank situation. My sink drain is located on the right rear of the camper and the shower drain is on the left front. I found a used 10 gallon tank that will work for my sink drain, and I am going to keep an eye out for nice 20-ish gallon tank for the shower area. I do not see myself doing any camping this year that I would need they shower anyway. But, it is nice to have a running sink for washing hands, dishes, and first aid my family plays hard and are accident prone lol).

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I think mine is 20 gallons, it's a diffent camper. Are you going to campsites with hook ups or roughing it?

7. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    Bear in mind that water weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon, so a 20 gallon tank could weigh as much as 166 pounds plus the weight of the container. Will you be able to safely move and empty that size of tank?

We get along quite nicely with a simple 6 gallon plastic "Gerry Can" for gray water. Whenever one of us goes by we give it a shake, when it feels heavy it gets emptied into the vault or a clump of bushes at least 100 yards away from the campsite.

Real discipline is required when using a trailer shower unless you want to run through your water supply very quickly. Quickly wet down, turn off shower, soap lightly, rinse off quickly, and you still will use at least 3 gallons. Most of the time our hygiene is bucket baths and adult size baby butt wipes.

Most of our campsites are truly "boondocking" style- unimproved, no water, no electricity, no toilet. Water conservation is emphasized- meals planned for minimal cleanup, paper service, pots/pans/utensils wiped down before washing, clean counters with Clorox (tm) wipes. [NB: do not mistake a Clorox wipe for an adult wipe, you will not enjoy the experience.....]

Have a good time as you experiment with gear and methods to refine your camping experience!

Rik Peery likes this.