Fridge wiring while towing

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Himzka, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Himzka

Himzka New Member

Oct 2, 2018
    Good morning all,
    I ran a search for this but I didn't find any posts, forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this question.

I have my popup in my garage plugged into the wall to cool the fridge as we're going camping this Friday. When we go on our way, do I have to change the setting on the power source of the fridge from AC to DC for the ride there? My TV has the 7pin connector, and the popup fridge has the 3 position switch for AC, DC, GAS, however my popup does not have a battery.
    Which selection will make the fridge work with the 7pin wiring while we drive?

2. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    AC when plugged into the "wall"

DC if you want to use 12V power on the road, but I never tried with no battery. (If you leave it in AC the fridge is OFF on the road)

GAS works on the road or when not plugged in. My old3 way fridge you had to light the pilot light manually when turning to gas.

3. Fless

Fless Active Member

The 12v DC setting won't work unless your TV is wired for it and can handle the relatively high amp draw of the fridge. Having the 7 pin connector is no guarantee that it's providing the aux 12v nor that your TV can handle the draw.

And these fridges don't have "pilot" lights; that little flame is all that runs when it's on gas. Suggest you run it on gas while driving if you're comfortable with that and the flame stays lit.
    _

neighbormike and Raycfe like this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    If your drive isn't too long. Just precool and pack the refrigerator with cold stuff and leave it closed until you get to the campsite. It would be OK for a few hours.

Toedtoes and neighbormike like this.
  5. Himzka

Himzka New Member

Oct 2, 2018
    Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciated it.

I did not know the power draw for those fridges were that high, makes me hesitant to try the power from the 7pin connector even though my expedition came with the HD tow package.
    Might just run on propane or load it with cold stuff. It's been plugged in the garage so far, so it should be pre-cooled plenty by Friday.

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    The amp draw from a fridge will not hurt anything on the TV or PUP. )Some where around 12 AMP). If the TV can't handle the draw, then neither would the PUP be able to.
    Never heard of anyone blowing a fuse from running a fridge

7. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Only worry is if u need to stop on the way it can drain the TV battery

8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Options
    1 precool fridge. Turn off for travel. If you have extra room pack some frozen water bottles.

2 run propane. Good chance the flame will blow out when traveling. I'm going to say about 75% of popup do. You should turn off the flame when refueling.

3 run 12v electric from battery. It will pull about 10 amps per hour and drain the camper battery. Many people have enabled the 12v battery wire on the TV 7 pin connection. This will supplement the camper battery, but you still will drain the camper battery down some. Other option is to rewire 12v fridge to use the 7 pin backup light aux connection and run wire to tv battery. Nice option if you camp a lot with no elect connection. You don't deplete your battery traveling to the CS.

9. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    You might want to check my thread about 12v Aux line in my Expedition. I realize mine is older but it may give you some new information. By the way my 04 Expedition only turns the Aux line on when the ignition switch is in the on position. If the TV is off, so is the Aux line.

DC is the setting you want...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018