Frie extinguisher recall

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by kitphantom, Nov 2, 2017.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    JPBar and PopUpSteve like this.
  2. dlaudens

dlaudens Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    Thanks....nothing worse than burnt fries. [:D]

Sorry....couldn't help myself.

kitphantom likes this.
  3. TRR

TRR Active Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Alabama USA
    Thanks for the info!

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Massive government recall covers 37.8M Kidde fire extinguishers

The federal government is launching a massive fire extinguisher recall. It covers nearly 40 million Kidde extinguishers. The Consumer Product Safety Commission says 37.8 million fire extinguishers might not work during an emergency.

Kidde marketing videos emphasize how important their products are in the event of a fire, but the company is now recalling 37.8 million of its fire extinguishers in the United States, reports CBS News correspondent Kris Van Cleave. The recalled extinguishers date back decades and some models have been recalled before for other issues.

Ann Marie Buerkle leads the agency ordering the recall.

"It's a product that a lot of people have in their homes, in their offices," Buerkle said.

The agency claims extinguishers with plastic handles and push button -- or pindicators -- can clog, resulting in a failure to discharge. Nozzles can also pop off with enough force to be a dangerous projectile.

There have been nearly 400 reports of extinguishers malfunctioning resulting in 16 injuries and one death.

"You're better off to have no fire extinguisher than a defective fire extinguisher," said former California chief fire marshal James McMullen.

McMullen says Kidde's huge market share makes the recall worrisome.

"If you attack a fire thinking you're going to put it out with a defective fire extinguisher and it doesn't work you put yourself in harm's way," McMullen said.

In 2014, Brendan Rosko died in a Pennsylvania car crash after an extinguisher used by first responders malfunctioned. His family received a settlement from Kidde.

In response to the recall, Kidde said in a statement that "customer safety is our first priority" and that it working with authorities to "ensure that affected fire extinguishers are replaced as quickly as possible."

"Get a new fire extinguisher free of charge in your home and have that certainty that it will work," Buerkle said.

Kidde will replace defective extinguishers for free with new ones made with metal parts. The list of recalled models is available on the company's website, as well as the website of the Consumer Product Safety Commission, cpsc.gov.

5. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Just checked mine it is on recall, will call company tomorrow.
    Model #FF 201D-1

6. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    I got the paperwork today. I have to get them swapped in all of our company trucks.

7. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    Thanks, checked mine it is on the list. Got a replacement coming.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  8. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Pup is okay but the two we have in the house are on the list. :-(

9. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Just checked mine on the website, pup one and my 2 house units are affected. Pretty sure the replacement won't fit in the pup alcove, so that will be something else I will have to look into for next season.

10. megcabra

megcabra Active Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Chapel Hill, North Carolina
    My new 2017 extinguisher I just installed this summer in the PUP is part of the recall. And 2 others in our house are as well. I too hope the replacement will fit in the recessed opening. I guess we’ll see what they send.

11. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Mar 25, 2009
    New Hampshire
    We have two on the list, just filed online for replacements. I almost scraped the house one as it need a charge, I bought a new First Alert to replace it, but held onto the Kidde thinking I'd get it charged. Now I don't have to.

12. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    I just got one of the three I submitted. It is slightly different than the one I had in the camper, but I can't actually try it as the camper is closed up for the winter. They want the old one back, and included a shipping label. The other two are on 'back order', they say due to high demand.... Update 1/10/18. The backordered ones arrived with shipping labels and reusable shipping cartons. Called the FedEx number provided and they came and got the old ones. Just needed shipping tape for the cartons.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  13. DJS12354

Update: Pup may or may not be okay. It has a First Alert unit and they have a recall of their own. Will be on the list of things to check when I open the pup in the spring.

14. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Our replacement extinguishers have arrived, so we need to pack up the old and return them. (We just have to call FedEx for a pickup. Just what they need with all the Christmas shipping.)

15. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Do you have a link to the First Alert Recall? The one in the TT is First Alert, and I can't find anything about it, except for an old recall.

16. DJS12354

Will have to do some digging as I don't remember where I saw the recall info.

17. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Mar 25, 2009
    New Hampshire
    kitphantom likes this.
  18. DJS12354

Sure hope I didn't see the old recall and think is was current. If so, I apologize!

19. SlinginIron

SlinginIron New Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Dayton, WA
  20. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    All mine came in. Just need to arrange for pickup on the recalled ones. All packed up, just haven't gotten around to calling FedEx. They won't take them at a regular FedEx collection point since they are pressurized, so you have to call for a pickup.