Frig vents in bear country

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by Anthony Hitchings, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

We are heading to bear country - Yellowstone, in August. Has anyone ever had a bear (of any type) rip off the vents (upper or lower) to the rear space behind the Dometic (propane) frig?

2. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

Nope.

Where are you staying in Yellowstone?

3. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Does your A-Frame qualify as hard sided? Just curious....

I the campground near the fishing bridge only allows hard sided because of bears. No pups.

4. The_Al_Mighty

The_Al_Mighty New Member

When we stayed at Canyon Village in YS, we stored food in the TV. We never saw a bear in camp. The rangers said that the bears almost never venture into the campgrounds. I would not worry at all about it.

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We've stayed in Bridge Bay and Grant and never saw a bear or heard about a bear in the campground while we were there. Never heard of a bear tearing the back of the fridge off! I have heard of a bear tearing into a TT in Fishing Bridge.

What do you plan on storing in the fridge? In Yellowstone, Glacier and Rocky Mt NP's we would run the fridge and only keep bottled water in there. No food.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  6. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Fishing Bridge Campground is closed until 2020

7. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Never heard of a bear doing that

8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Since we're on the subject, does a refrigerator act as a bear box of sorts? I mean it does seal ...

9. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

It's also extremely easy to open. Actual bear boxes have closures that bears cannot open (and are sometimes even "people proof" LOL). So, no, I wouldn't classify a fridge as something that would be used as a "bear box".

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  10. Orchid

I really mean smell-wise. I know they could easily open it if they were inside the camper. :wink: Raccoon would clean out our fridge if we left it outside.

11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

To the first question, the fridge vents simply vent the heat build up. The fridge itself is enclosed - so smells shouldn't excape.

Orchid - on another thread I posted what answers I got from various parks. Depending on the individual park, your answer will vary. The biggest consideration to the answer is the individual park's bear population.

Some places, like Fishing Bridge campground, have issues with bears to the point that they ban certain camper types. Yosemite requires everyone to use bear boxes regardless of their camper type - and no storing food in your vehicle. Other campgrounds have minimal issue and the fridge is secure enough (and not identifiable like a cooler) that you can keep food in it with no issue.

The main thing about a bear box is that a bear cannot open it. They will still smell the food in it, but cannot get to the food.

With an RV fridge, the seal should prevent the smells from attracting a bear in the first place, but a bear can easily get into it if they wish. Hence the bear population being the deciding factor. Some campgrounds let you store food and coolers in your vehicle because the bears there don't mess with vehicles. In another campground/area, the bears will automatically check out the vehicles even if they don't smell food because they have connected vehicles to food. Coolers have become very familiar to bears as "containing food", so regardless of what is in the cooler, the bear will open it to check.

Sjm9911 and Orchid like this.
  12. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

I have known people who have had bears break into their homes, and their fridges have been raided. Bears have a super acute sense of smell, so I don't think that anything really is going to keep the smell in enough for them to not know that there are goodies in there. Which is why bear boxes are made the way they are. They may be able to smell it, but they definitely can't get in. LOL

xxxapache likes this.
  13. Orchid

I haven't been in grizzly country since I was a small child, and we weren't camping on that trip. I have a serious fear of grizzlies, even with precautions. I hope to make it out west to see the beautiful parks someday, but I doubt I will camp. Even travel trailers don't have much defense. A thin layer of tin, or whatever kind of metal it is, with insulation and then another thin layer of camper grade drywall aka cardboard.

The only vehicle I may feel safe in its one of those super pricey 5th wheels or motorhomes that are built more like giant cars. You wouldn't catch me anywhere in grizzly country in a pup. Do plan to do the entire east coast in our pup, though. Black bear doesn't worry me. I'm cautious, but not scared.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

The good thing about the national parks is that they do work to keep all bears out of the places where people camp. I wouldn't think that grizzly bears would be an issue if one is camping in designated campgrounds as they, unlike black bears, tend to avoid human contact.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I more wonder about the gray water, it has all the food smells in it. Dosent that attract the bears? The recent forest rangers ( black bears ) that i talked to said no. Its just food. I dont buy it. But then again, if there is an abundance of food smells, maybe they can ascertain if its worth it.

16. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

This is an interesting one, as we have been to places without bear boxes that have central places to wash dishes/dump grey water, and places that have bear boxes with no such places.

I guess my M.O. is to believe the rangers when they say no danger, and to think that if there was an issue with grey water, that the particular campground would offer disposal alternatives.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. Anthony Hitchings

Canyon Campground for 5 nights

18. Anthony Hitchings

A liner's sides are all hard.

19. Anthony Hitchings

That's odd, multiple YouTube videos refer to bears walking thru Canyon - in some cases even when kids are present

20. Anthony Hitchings

For Canyon Campground - you must use the provided dishwashing stations - which are behind a real door that the bears cannot open