Frig vents in bear country

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by Anthony Hitchings, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Nope.

2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Well, a frig is meant to store food :) [not withstanding park regulations to the contrary]

So what did you eat, by not using cold storage for food products - MREs ?

3. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

Yes, that's the same as Grant.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Keep your food stowed in your vehicle when not in use and follow all signage. They work very hard to keep bears out of these campgrounds. Though bears do come into the campgrounds on occasion, it is definitely not a common occurrence.

The_Al_Mighty likes this.
  4. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

We always use coolers. Stowed in our truck (or bear boxes where available).

If it were me, I wouldn't be storing anything but water in the camper. The regulations are there for a reason. :)

The_Al_Mighty and 1380ken like this.
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Follow the rules of the campground. Storing food in vehicles is frowned upon in many areas because bears have learned that vehicles often contain food. In those places it is safer to store food in your rv fridge because a bear doesn't know that fridge is there - but they will happily go through your car. Especially if they see a cooler in it.

A co-worker, who never allowed food to be eaten in her car, had a bear climb in the car. The bear got the door open to climb in, but its weight bounced the car so the door shut. The bear was trapped. The car was totaled.

6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

We see Bears in and around our campsite every time we go camping in the White Mountains in NH. We don't keep any food in the camper.

7. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

Wow! Is this in established campgrounds?

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We have never seen bear in any campground, but did see bear scat on the road in the campground early one morning. Notified the ranger, who confirmed it was black bear. That was a couple years ago at Ochlockonee River State Park in Florida. I have pictures of it, but won't post unless someone really wants to see it. [LOL]

We keep a couple of air horns, from Dollar Tree, in the camper for when we are in heavy black bear areas. Over at the beach, where we do most of our camping, there are no bear on the island.

Back when we lived in WV, we saw black bear several times, but not within the actual campground, just outside of it. That was Rocky Gap State Park in western MD. Once we saw a mama and cub as we were entering the park. They were on a mountainside, below the camping area. The other time, we were hiking up the mountain, to the old homestead. A black bear, that we had never seen, ran from us. The commotion caught our attention so we got to see it running.

We do have black bear at home. Right now there is a cub running around in our hood (heavily wooded area.) Don't know if mama is around or if something happened to her. The cub is attracted to our peach trees and 1/2 acre or so of berry bushes. Maybe mama is just not a gutsy as the cub.

I kept seeing the cub in our berry patch and my DH convinced me it was a wild hog. Then 5 or 6 other people in our general vicinity reported seeing the cub, so I know I'm not seeing things. Nobody has seen mama bear.

Edit: We brought in the outdoor cat food for the time being.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. JLE

JLE Member

We've been camping in bear country all our lives in Canada and USA with few issues, even back in the two decades when we used a soft-sided tent trainer. An A-FRAME is considered hard-sided by the parks we have visited and is, in fact, one of the reasons we switched from soft-sided to give more safety and access in National Parks in bear regions.

Mainly we go to BEARTOOTH which is north-east of Yellowstone but still similar wildlife. We have never had issues, even though signs of bears are everywhere. We use the campground bear boxes to store our BBQ and most dry-goods; we keep a small cooler in the TV with veggies and meat, and use the inside fridge for drinks and less smelly or jarred items. We follow park instructions on grey water disposal. If backpacking, we sometimes pour greywater in the firepit in hopes that the charcoal will diminish the smells.

Orchid likes this.
  11. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Yes, last year we had scratches and smudge marks on the TV from where the bear was climbing the TV to smell the clam shell cargo carrier on the roof. It looks like a cooler. The TV was parked right next to the camper. We have seen bears every year for the last 6 years. I have only seen bears in established campgrounds. I tent camped for years off trail in the White Mountains and never saw a single bear.

12. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

Wow, that's crazy! I've only seen one bear near a campground in 4 years, and my partner has said that he's seen half a dozen in his 50 years of hiking and camping in Washington.

There are definitely black bear around, but fortunately they have not been acclimated to humans, apparently. The one I saw was a chestnut color, lumbering down the road. He came up to at least the Windows of our truck. He skedaddled as soon as we drove by.

13. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

This was last summer pulling into our favorite park in North Eastern Ontario. Never saw the bear. There are bears at my mom's house all the time, checking out her BBQ, going through the garbage on garbage day, drinking from her rain barrels. The Ministry sets up the big traps made out of a culvert, so they can relocate them, but the only thing dumb enough to take the bait is raccoons.

20180728_142300.jpg

14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

20190614_114906-1470x3024.jpg
    This was taken last week over one of our members campsite. Was a mother and 2 cubs. It was diagonal from our campsite. No warning from the rangers, just from our fellow campers. They were eventually tranquilized and moved. They did try the traps once. But the mother ended up carging the rangers and was bean bagged. This happened because another camper was feeding them.

15. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Up until 1970 that Yellowstone banned the feeding of bears. And how many years after that before the public started understanding why that ban made sense...

Even now, there are people who will purposely leave out food in hopes of seeing a bear. But for the most part, bears aren't a problem in most places.

Areas like Lake Tahoe continue to have problems with bears because of the large numbers of people visiting and living there. It's difficult to live in bear territory and not do things that will provide food to bears (garbage pick up, bird feeders, outdoor pets, and so on). But people still do stupid things - like throwing bones over their balconies. And visitors bring bags of food and leave them in their cars. And toss their trash out the windows.

They've shown up in campgrounds where I'm at. But haven't bothered me as I keep food put away and don't leave coolers around the campsite. I've known many folks who have had their coolers stolen by bears.

16. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I know in Bridge Bay and Grant they have a specific place to wash dishes and cookware. It was enclosed with a door that opened outward and had a window (reinforced glass). They do not want you doing KP at your site. In Glacier NP there are grizzlies. In St. Mary CG they do not want you washing anything at your site. When you first check in at Yellowstone you will get the bear talk. It's about a 5 minute talk. In Glacier the bear talk was about 10-15 minutes.

17. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We had a cooler with some food in it that stayed in the TV and was covered by a dark colored blanket. We mostly enjoyed some of the places to eat in the park. We mostly ate oatmeal at our campsite for breakfast.