From NC to Mount Rushmore to Yellowstone then Grand Canyon and Back

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by tork65, Jul 14, 2017.

1. tork65

tork65 Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Well its over, 21 days and 6412 miles. I wanted to pass on some things we did that helped us out.

1. We put all out clothes in the back of our TV (F-150) in plastic bins. That way we didn't have to worry about taking the boxes in and out of the camper every time we stopped. Also, the rain didn't matter. This was a huge for us, especially if you are like me and like a camper uncluttered.

2. Check your tires often. We were overweight (I knew we would be) and we had to get new tires half way through the trip. No issues other than that. The tires were 5 years old anyway.

3. The All Stays RV app is great for getting honest reviews of the campgrounds. Great for planning way before the trip to make sure the places you pick to stay are quality places.

4. The KOA membership pays for itself pretty quick. Look into it if you are going to be making multiple night stays.

5. Bring a multimeter, I usually don't carry one in my toolbox, but Murphy likes to camp too.

6. If you go to Bryce Canyon and stay at Ruby's RV park (which isn't a bad place), the dinner show across the street isn't worth the money IMO; and I love bluegrass and country music.

7. Yellowstone is obviously busy in the summer, but if you get to the gate before 730, you get right in and can see most of the things you want to see before lunch (we did south one day and north the next).

8. I have a ScanGauge II on my truck which tells me the temp of the transmission, its very comforting when it 100 degrees outside and you've been pulling up a mountain for 20 minutes and the transmission is only 205 degrees. Its worth the 150 dollars it costs.

9. If you are south of Salt Lake City and north of Flagstaff and you are at half a tank, get gas. The stations are far apart.

10. I filled a 5 gallon water jug with ice and water and put it in the back of the TV, great for filling up water bottles along the trip without paying $1 per bottle.

If you have any specific questions about where went went or trailer/TV questions, just post below and I will be happy to answer them.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    xxxapache, ready123go and prop630 like this.
  2. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    Where did you leave from, what time did you leave and how long did it take to breakdown and pack in order to be at the gate at Yellowstone by 7:30?!?

3. tork65

tork65 Member

Mar 23, 2012
    We stayed at West Gate KOA about 6 miles from the park. We would keep the camper set up and just drive the TV to the park, we'd leave about 645 to get there without traffic.

4. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    One of these days.....but when we get that far west....we will turn around at the waters edge....

5. RDWRER

RDWRER Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Where did you stay on the way back from the Grand Canyon? How long did it take to drive back?

6. ready123go

ready123go Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Such great info. Thanks for sharing.

Which AllStays app did you use - the Priority RV Network (free) or the Camp & RV Campgrounds Plus ($). I'm assuming the later.

7. tork65

tork65 Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Were stayed at the KOA at Tucumcari NM, the first night (about 9 hours from GC), KOA outside (west) of Oklahoma City about 5 hour drive from NM, KOA outside (west) Little Rock AR, another 5 hours; then we had to take a detour to Clarksville TN to get our dog and we stayed at the Clarksville RV Park. It took 5 days to get back, but we could have easily done it in two or three if we would have pushed harder.

8. tork65

tork65 Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Yep, the one that costs money. I really think its worth it.

ready123go likes this.
  9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Active Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Other than the obvious, do you have any recommendations for things to do/see in Grand Canyon area?

10. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Fantastic sounding trip. Thanks for sharing.

11. tork65

tork65 Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Well, to me, staring at the canyon from different viewpoints gets to be old somewhat quickly. It's awesome, but from the rim it looks the same. If I were to have it my way, I'd do one day of checking out the canyon from the rim and I'd do a day if white water rafting, air tours, or mules down to the canyon floor. Also, gas outside the park is almost 4 dollars a gallon, so fill up while it's cheap.

12. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    Gee, I did not find any gas higher than 2.89 a gallon and that was around Bryce. Where was gas at 4 dollars????
    We just got back last week though we did Pikes peak, Bryce, zion, grand canyon, and petrified Forest. (We had done Rushmore and Yellowstone on a different trip). Sounds like you were just behind us at Tucumcari.

13. tork65

tork65 Member

Mar 23, 2012
    It was in Tusayan, just south of the park. 3.89. We went 30 miles south.

14. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    We went through Tusayan. We missed the gas station, as it was on the other side of the traffic circle and kind of hidden, so ended up getting gas further away. Finally saw it when we came back through, though I don't recall seeing the price. That is very pricey.