Full Hook Ups at night time with light freeze

Discussion in 'Cold Weather Camping' started by world traveler, Mar 31, 2017.

1. world traveler

world traveler Member

Oct 23, 2015
    we considering going camping and it looks like few nights are going to be in the 20s (hopefully upper 20s). Do I just disconnect my water hookup and empty my water heater for night time? Is this going to be enough? We need to use water hookup for the shower since there are none available. Or it should be ok if the temp is close to 32F? (27+)? Thanks.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Disconnect hose and leave water heater on.

3. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Yes this will work. I did this in my Palomino in 22 degree weather. If most of your water hoses are in inside the camper and not underneath it will be no problem.

4. world traveler

world traveler Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Does it have to be on full or a pilot will do? So far I kept it on pilot most time and the water was hot.

5. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Pilot will do. If the water gets too cold it will turn on to heat it.

6. world traveler

world traveler Member

Oct 23, 2015
    thanks! Will do.

7. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Member

Jul 18, 2005
    We frequently camp in temps into the mid 20's overnight. As you said, disconnect hose, run all the water out of the lines in the camper, but ok to leave the water heater on (so long as water heater is not empty); pilot is fine as well. We keep a gallon jug for teeth brushing, etc. in the morning until it warms up. And most important, fill the coffee pot before you turn the water off at night. . . .

8. world traveler

world traveler Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Run the water of of the lines... just run the pump with cold water faucet open and water disconnected?
    Good point about the coffee pot, thanks :)
    Now the temp forecast is in low 20s at night... still hoping we can go since it's the only time off.
    What about shower plumbing - it's under the trailer.
    Also, just to confirm, it's ok to run the fridge in this weather, right?

9. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    What kinda trailer are we talking about? Mine has a furnace duct that heats the belly of the camper to keep water lines, holding tanks and the shower trap from freezing.

Yes, it is OK to run the fridge.

10. world traveler

world traveler Member

Oct 23, 2015
    a '97 starcraft constellation. There is only shower trap and plumbing under the trailer that is going to be obviously exposed and there are no duct under there.I'm not sure if I have any duct that heats inside the trailer where water lines are - I don't have any visible besides the pump inside a cabinet under the gaucho. I only intend to run the trailer heater if I have to supplement electric heater and heated blankets.

11. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I would imagine that unlike my current Coleman which has all the water lines under the camper, yours is more like my former Palomino which had the water lines inside the camper. If you have electricity, run a small ceramic heater and set your furnace real low. Open all your cabinet doors and just let the warmth in. As for the shower drain, pour a small amount of rv antifreeze down it.

Definately disconnect the city water and drain that hose. If you don't you will have a hose of solid ice.

xxxapache likes this.
  12. world traveler

world traveler Member

Oct 23, 2015
    IMG_2368.JPG IMG_2366.JPG
    Here's pics - fresh water tank and sewage lines are under, city water is in.
    To summarize,
    1.I disconnect my city water, and pump the cold water out from the faucet.
    2. There are only 2 cabinets I can keep open - one with the pump and the other one with water lines to the sink(that one is only partially opens with the bottom part blocked).
    3. Keep the water heater on pilot.
    4. I have electric heater on - so far it was perfect set about 63 degress with electric blankets on as well (but the temp was in the 40s).
    5.I have the furnace set on lowest setting to supplement electric heater if needed.
    6. I put a small amount of antifreeze in the shower drain each night to keep it from freezing (is that ok that there's water in the shower trap?)

6. To confirm, I don't need to winterize water tank? I already sanitized it couple weeks ago and don't want to mess with it anymore now.
    7. Is black water tank going to be ok to use?

Thanks for all your help - leaving in california, this will be my first time ever we camp with freezing temp overnight so I want to make sure that I don't bust any pipes.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  13. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    If you don't have water in the fresh water tank and its empty the don't worry about that. As for the black water tank someone else will have to chime in.

When you put RV antifreeze down the drain it will fill the shower trap. Pour enough down and it would help the black water I suppose..

14. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    A light freeze won't hurt a partially filled black tank