Full Time Boon-dockers in popup

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by dickinjo, Jan 27, 2018.

1. dickinjo

dickinjo Member

May 22, 2012
    This couple has dropped out of the rat race and are full time boon-dockers living in an older StarCraft popup. They have been doing this for about a year now. I have been following their story and thought there may be others who find it interesting. Enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyELA_vGdeP_Ifyhze5RNKg

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Good for him. Something I would never do; not in a popup. As much as I like camping for a week at a time, living in it full time would drive be totally crazy. But there have been times when I have thought of selling everything I have (other than clothes, guns and dogs), buying a 2500 series diesel and a fifth wheel and leaving town, never to return.

MaeKay and NMroamer like this.
  3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    IMO, they are only a step or two above being homeless.

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

WAY too primitive for me. Even when camping in our pop up, we have a real toilet and shower and camp with hook-ups.

Not even sure I would want to do it in our TT. I like having a house too much. And my own land surrounding me.

5. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    When you look at all the broader 'vagabond' lifestyle movements that are popping up (no pun intended) on reddit, youtube, etc., that include many young people with admittedly no savings, retirement/healthcare strategy, or anything of substance other than a strong desire for a 'life on the road' in an old rv, van, or whatever, it makes me wonder how this will work all work out.

Youtube romanticizes the lifestyle. I'm sure it's great for some, especially the older folks with some savings, but for others, who knows...

From what I understand RTR (rubber tramp rendezvous, on BLM land) had hundreds of people last year and thousands this year - so there's a trend here that is growing very fast.

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I too have noticed the human foot traffic along the Natl Forest Service roads where I like to do my off-road camping here on the East side of the US has increased alot. Even have been approached asking for food a few times...

My first thought was they are living in the woods for what ever reason...

They were not dangerous to me but does make one up the RED FLAG a notch... Now that I am up in years my family doesn't want me to do much of this anymore by myself...

The Appalachian Trail runs through this part of the country as well but those folks are carrying all of their survival equipment with them and can be easily distinguished not being of the vagabond homeless folks.

This change has come about just in the last few years.

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

7. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    You're right, but it might just be the catalyst for some to break out of a rut and learn some life skills. Self-sufficiency is, by design, no longer showcased in the public education system, and that is a core skill for the 'sovereign citizen'.

8. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Active Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I have been following this channel for a few months now and find myself eerily looking forward to his daily videos. Although his (Rob's) videos offer a lot of common sense and some good information on pop up camping, they are really about one highly introverted man's method on how to make himself happy and stress free. I can relate to the introvert in Rob. The big difference being I would rather be an introvert in a, as Rob calls it, "Stick and Brick" and do the popup thing on an occasional basis.

Although I like my pup, there is no way I would live in it full time. Especially one that is 40+ years old. Kudos to his elusive wife, Carolyn (with a self professed case of full-blown social anxiety), for going along with this lifestyle.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    With all the drug addicted street people I see in my area I think they are teaching some sort of self sufficiency in the public schools.

10. PaThacker

PaThacker Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I have watched him a few times but it's getting old. Commented on one or two threads. I can't imagine doing it in a 1970 pup. My old flagstaff 625D would work well having the cassette shower pottie combo, ac, fantastic fan, slideout and trunk. With my Jayco 1206 it's boondocking setup with only a fantastic fan and no onboard pottie. Thetford campa pottie is just as easier to use and dump as a cassette pottie. Gray water would get horrific squatting on public lands that they use.

11. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

Oct 28, 2016
    Gloucester, Virginia
    . . .my wife watches all those Cop and detective shows. Next to explaining to me how others have failed to 'successfully' dispense with their husbands, she keeps pointing out how many 'unsavory characters' have been apprehended in campgrounds.
    . . .still, I think I'm more worried about the husband dispensing issue of her obsession [LOL]; I think. . . .o_O

12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I'm in the same boat with this one. Mine works at a prison & is always tell me how much the inmates will do what ever she wants. To make things worse she can she can shoot pistols with ease and is deadly accurate.

XKPin likes this.
  13. XKPin

Oct 28, 2016
    Gloucester, Virginia
    HA HAAA! At least my wife can't shoot 'very' well!

14. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    I would need a much bigger camper. We we take long trips of three plus weeks. We always seem to enjoy getting back into the house the first night.

15. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    XKPin, I share your wife’s obsession with true crime and disposing of bodies. My husband is worried as well, lol.

16. XKPin

Oct 28, 2016
    Gloucester, Virginia
    . . .so how does Joe Kenda put it. . ? ". . .Well my, my, my. . . ."

JoeK.jpg

Maycat and Orchid like this.
  17. Merlin14

Merlin14 Member

Aug 30, 2014
    If able to successfully transition to it, and you follow the weather some, it's a workable lifestyle. It is a simple one. Much more so if not producing content.
    Not to hijack here, but watch YouTube "Without Bound".
    Many YouTube channels are scrambling to monetize in attempt to generate some revenue. IMHO, content generation requires more effort than other jobs you could get workcamping, but the view is not as nice.

18. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I love Joe Kenda ... and true crime show/books.

Two weeks is the longest stretch of time we've stayed in the pup. I may be able to tolerate longer if we ever had a site with septic hook-ups. Taking grey water and cassette from toilet to the dump station gets old fast.

XKPin likes this.
  19. XKPin

Oct 28, 2016
    Gloucester, Virginia
    We never went for more than 2-weeks either. We have reservations for four National parks and Forests this summer for a total camping of of 3-weeks in our 8-footer. Chose National Parks and Forests (without water or electric hookups :eek:) to fit the budget. Wish us well [LOL]!

20. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    I saw an article the other day about a guy who sold everything he owned, bought a boat.... And proceeded to hit a rock on the first port he attempted to sail to. Sank the boat.