Furnace clicking but will not light?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by gkosel, Sep 17, 2010.

1. gkosel

gkosel Fargo, ND (Next Trip - ?)

I have a 2008 Jayco 1207 and am having an issue where my furnace blower turns on and I can hear the ignitor trying to light but the furnace will not fire up.

Am running on 30amp shore power and I have gas to my outside grill and have run the inside stove for several minutes trying to get gas flow to the heater with no luck. My water heater works without issue as well.

When I open the furnace grate, I can see that the power is on. However after trying to light, I can see a flashing red light. Does that help?

I have a heat pump that pumps out 15BTUs of heat so have rarely used my furnace, but when it gets down into the 30s the heat pump automatically shuts off. We are leaving this evening for a trip, and it is supposed to be in the 30s tonight. So I am hoping to get some tips on things to try this weekend to get the old girl fired up.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Gregg

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

With everything you have described, it could be a bad sail switch.
    However, it is most helpful to get you a reasonably quick answer if you would provide us with the make and model of the furnace.

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Atwood 79?? II series furnace?

DIAGNOSTIC CHART
    FAULT LED INDICATION
    Internal Circuit Board Failure Steady on, no flashing
    Limit switch/Airflow problems 1 flash with 3-second pause
    Flame Sense Fault 2 flashes with 3-second pause
    Ignition Lockout Fault 3 flashes with 3-second pause

4. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

Just like your home furnace all the safeties need to "make" before ignition.

You said you hear the fan come on and then your hear clicking? This tells me the fan starts, and the sail switch "makes" proofing the fan started, then the ignitor clicks for spark but nothing else?

Either your ignitor switch (proofs the ignitor is working) or your gas valve is not allowing gas to pass thru.

Check for spider webs in the orifice or around your gas supply, you can use air to blow them out and try it again.

Good luck

5. gkosel

gkosel Fargo, ND (Next Trip - ?)

It is an Atwood furnace and I believe that the model number is 7916-II.

I can't remember for sure how many times the light blinks. But I am pretty sure that it does blink and is not steady. I am guessing that it is a 2 or 3 blink. If I had to guess it would be three. If I can't get it going this weekend, I will definitely note the number of blinks to help troubleshoot.

Yes, the fan comes on blows for 5-10 seconds, then the ignitor starts to click. It clicks for about 10 seconds and then stops and I think the fan stops too, but can't remember for sure.

I think this may likely be the cause. How and where do I blow to get these out? Is it better to try and suck with a vacuum or blow? I have a air pump for blowing up inflatables that pumps pretty good stream of air out. Not sure that a vacuum would have enough suction to suck anything out.

I am still not sure where I should be trying to blow/suck from though. The exhause area on the outside of the camper? Or somewhere inside?

Thanks for your help.

Gregg

6. wecamp

wecamp Member

I am not sure if we have the same model, but when mine tries to light without propane it goes into a fault mode. The red LED blinks very quickly. I have to diconnect the 4 wire connector from the printed circuit board while the furnace has power. Disconect the 4 wire plug for about 10 seconds and reconnect it. Mine works after that. I have tried to drop power to the furnace, but it remebers it is in a fault mode after I restore power.

Hope this helps.

7. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

We were having the same thing with our Coleman..blowing, but no heat. It was just a matter of opening the other propane tank. My FIL was telling us that one tank was for the furnace and the other one was for the cooktop. Well, neither thing was working with the tank he told us to open, but both worked when we opened the other one. I guess I'll have to do some more reading/checking on that. It's the first time we've used the furnace. It was in the low 30's and I'm glad we got it figured out.