GA - Jekyll Island Campground

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by ktsmom, Aug 23, 2014.

1. ktsmom

ktsmom One Happy Camper!

Just spent several days at the campground on Jekyll Island. Sites offer electricity, water, and cable. They are small and very close together, but I enjoyed my stay. I had a site close to the bathroom/shower facility. This was very clean and well-maintained. The camp-host was very helpful when the cable connection did not work - it was stripped out. He replaced it immediately and even connected my cable. I was there for 3 days and the outside temps were extremely high (hitting 98). There are many trees throughout the grounds so shade was helpful. There is a fully-stocked camp store with items ranging from ice to souvenirs, to dog treats to bicycle rentals. The campground is close to the beach. I always camp with my geo-caching dog, Bella. Jekyll Island has 2 nice restaurants/bars overlooking the river that allow dogs on their decks. All-in-all, the campground was very nice and quiet. I will visit this one again.

2. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

We just returned from Jekyll Island last week. Great place for bikes and nature. We will go again but you'll need to pick a good campsite. It's a privately owned campground. Full hook up sites were $38 per night (we couldn't get partial hook up because they were booked). It's a $6 fee to get onto the island (don't get a weekly pass unless you are going on and off the island a lot). Reserve a site early, and, yes, you reserve by the site. Look at a map prior to booking.

We didn't like our site, C2. It was small and very crowded. Most sites are close but this particular site was terrible. I recommend staying off the corner sites and get close to the bath house. Stick to sites in the back half of campground as there is a lot of traffic.

Our assessment of the best sites is as follows: On C loop avoid C1, C2, C3, C11-13. Rest of C is okay. J1,2,16 are awesome. I1,2 are good too. H loop is okay but avoid H14 and H18. B sites were just okay, but avoid B18-22. B23 is really the best in that loop. D, E, G are really crowded and traffic is heavier.

Again, it's not a state campground so people are a little closer than I'm used to.

There is a bike rental on the property and firewood and propane for sale. Camp store is good. At night, the staff drives around in golf carts and carry wood. You get more from them than the bags of firewood sold at the store.

The sand gnats were awful but a good quality bug spray works. Put it on before you set up the trailer!

bookooc likes this.
  3. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer Active Member

They were charging $.50 per split log, which was a really good deal. $5 would get you enough wood to have a nice long fire for 2 nights.

One site I did like was at the north end of F. There were a group of Pup'ers there and it is the perfect spot for a group because there was a pretty large open area where you can gather. It is also close to the bath house.

What kind of bug spray did you use that worked?

4. tzmartin

We just used the Deep Woods Off. It lasts a lot longer.

We went to Jekyll Island Campground in February of 2017 and had a great time. No pop ups in the cold weather! The campground was quiet at night. Most people stayed in at night. Kind of a nice benefit to camping in the cold in a pup. You don't have to hear anyone staying up late!

5. southern_gs

southern_gs New Member

Much better choice is Blythe Island Regional Park. Approx 15 min drive to Jekyll Island, but park is SO much nicer. Lots of privacy, lots are huge, beautiful lake, easy to access. We camped at Blythe for 3 nights back during this summer and enjoyed every night. We checked out Jekyll Island campground while in town and all the spots looked very close together.

6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

We rode through Jekyll Island Campground to check it out while we were camped elsewhere, thank goodness. RVs were packed it there like sardines, roads and turns were tight- not my kind of camping at all. Wife usually checks out the rest rooms, but she said there was no need to. We'll pass on this one.

7. tzmartin

I understand. I like the island but don't like the campground. We usually spend more time on the main beach or the driftwood beach area. Campground there is for sleeping...

8. southern gal

southern gal New Member

Yeah - you nailed it. We used to camp there when we did tent camping and we loved it. We never went anywhere else. The tent sites we used were in the section that is now being converted to more RV spots (at least that's what I heard they are doing). The tent sites were spread out and private. We camped there last July in the pop-up for two nights (July 4th week) and trailers were packed in there tightly. We were near the bathhouse but it was so hot and dirty (as in sand all over the place) that we didn't even want to use it. I love Jekyll Island and the best time to camp there in the pop-up would probably be in the off season. We haven't been back since last summer.

9. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

We rode through the Jekyll Island campground this January, which I assume is about as off season as there is. It was packed like a can of sardines. I can't imagine what the summer season would be like and don't want to find out.

10. southern gal

southern gal New Member

You are right. I'm not sure if there is an off season there. January is very busy. The snowbirds come down and stay for a few months in the winter. I can't remember if they leave in March or when. Jekyll also has a blue grass festival in January, too.

11. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We were there in Dec 2018. Very nice island, exceptional paved bike/walking trails. Beach is beautiful with with the natural environment what you would expect a beach to look like a 100 plus years ago. Great modern board walk You have to pay($6??) per 24 hours to get access onto the island. But if you don't leave the island you will only pay once to get on the island. Campground very close together. Everyone I saw was having problems backing in to CS. two very old campground type bathrooms with showers, but very clean. Concret floor with concrete block walls. Nice trees and shade in CS. Would go back, but would not consider it a must go back.

tzmartin likes this.
  12. bookooc

bookooc New Member

We camped there in April 2005 (gosh, can't believe it was that long ago) everything everyone has said was true then. Luckily, as it was dark and raining, the camp host helped us back into the site. Very helpful folks there. Other than the rain, the worst of it was the sand fleas, which i foolishly didn't prepare for while putting the top up in the rain. They ate me alive. Miserable 1st night.

I finally learned my lesson about camping when my son was out for spring break in April. Weather in GA is VERY unpredictable. I have some horror stories. it's amazing my kid wasn't scarred for life. LOL