Generator Exemption????

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by EricB, May 2, 2017.

1. EricB

EricB New Member

Sep 11, 2016
    My mother in law has severe COPD and requires an oxygen machine 24/7. We've tried using an inverter with a deep cell battery to cover the power needs for off grid camping and only got 2 hours from the set up. Wondering if a "waiver" or "exemption" can be done with either State or National campgrounds to get around the 10 PM generator shutdown time? Please PM me with any insight. It will be added to this post for others in the "power" is required situation.
    Eric

2. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Jul 3, 2008
    Iowa
    I dont know the specifics of your mother in laws O2 requirements, but perhaps she could make use of a battery powered oxygen generator. I understand there are small battery powered units that will supply 24 hours of supply on a single charge.

3. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Here are the general rules for USFS camping. The BLM's are basically the same as I'm pretty sure they are all based on Title 36 of the Code of Federal Regulations, (CFR). These are from Kentucky, except for the orders specific to areas on the Daniel Boone NF, the rules are pretty universal. There is no mention of a specific generator free time zone. Thus not everywhere requires a 10:00pm shutdown. For those places that have that requirement, a call to the local Ranger District or BLM District office may get you a waiver to the shut down requirement. The Park Service is a little different, but I'd guess a call to the park you wish to visit would be the place to start. Don't know about state facilities. Take a look and good luck:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5270138.pdf

4. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    Bottled O2 at night?

5. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    I don't see how any entity could accomodate or exempt a generator in the face of an hours of operation regulation. It would be like exempting medical marijuana smoking in a hospital.

As stated, Bottled O2 or perhaps shore power hookups in a closely located private CG are the alternatives.

Good luck with the solution. Hope it works out.

xxxapache and crackerJack like this.
  6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Can her O2 machine work off of 12 volts? An inverter wastes more power then it provides.

7. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    I would say no for the department of interior. My last six years as a Fed Worker was with the BLM and never had a request like this approved for an organized campground. And the NPS is even harsher with noise requirements. Also, camping in hundreds of FS campgrounds I have always seen the reg enforced by a host and on occasion a LE ranger. However, even in the Shoshone NP in WY I have seen some campgrounds with electrical hookups. And some NPS campgrounds have electrical hookups.

My recommendation would be bottles or find dispersed areas, away from all others if you cannot find an electrical site.

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    Not to sound like a jerk but I would be pretty mad if someone was running a generator all night regardless of the health issue. If someone needs power 24/7 then they should be camping at a campground with electricity. Seems selfish to ruin many campers sleep so one person can go camping in a specific campground.

9. matwiyj

matwiyj Active Member

May 17, 2011
    Winnipeg, Canada
    You are too kind 1380, I don't mind sounding like a jerk. Please don't use a generator at night in the campground! Find an electrical site or use a hotel.

10. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I agree with the majority. When camping with the MiL modify camping arrangements to sites with electric hookups or help her find an oxygen machine that doesn't depend on 120V for its power source.

unclemark likes this.
  11. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Some national parks (maybe all) have electric for those with medical needs. There are a limited number and you must ask. ADA laws dictate that accommodations must be provided for the disabled.

12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    that's tough... ADA does not apply to Federal. I am deaf, I am an advocate and I know the laws of ADA. the Federals has its own laws so you would need to find these laws that apply to Federal.

Try full hook ups and no generator is needed!

bob barnes and unclemark like this.
  13. EricB

EricB New Member

Sep 11, 2016
    The campground we are wanting to use is an old family location, that is neither NFS or State Park, it is 100% off grid as a State Wildlife Area....... No hookups for anything. I apologize for not being more clear in the beginning. The inverter option has been attempted at the house with a 2 hour success on 2 batteries.
    I do completely understand the points of a few indicating that a "medical" requirement shouldn't ruin others experience but in life we all do have to make sacrifices in public spaces.......and the generator for example would be brought to the side of the camper, not left out 100' away on a cord.

14. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
  15. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    O2 and cpap are not the same.

16. ppad75

ppad75 New Member

Jun 29, 2015
    During hurricane Sandy my grandmother used bottled O2 for days when there was no power. I would think you would be able to get enough bottled O2 to use at night?

17. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Yes, it was a bit confusing since you stated "Wondering if a "waiver" or "exemption" can be done with either State or National campgrounds to get around the 10 PM generator shutdown time?" And now it is a state wildlife area. And who knows, maybe the non-generator used MIGHT be due to wildlife...not sure, not enough info.

I also understand about sacrifices, but those sacrifices go both ways. Can't you purchase a system with extra batteries, used to last about 8 hours (on multiple batteries), then the drained batteries can be charged the next day when generators are allowed (if they are ever allowed)?

http://www.devilbisshealthcare.com/products/oxygen-therapy/portable-oxygen/igo

18. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    You are correct. My mother bless her passed 12 years ago from lung disease and for 10 years prior to her passing she was a slave to bottled O2 until a friend of hers told her about the portable Concentrators out there and her insurance would cover those. She had 2 extra batteries. Back then the concentrators only had about a 8-10 hour charge and required 3 to go 24 hours. Today you can recharge each battery via 12v cigarette lighter adapter or 120v.
    The following quote is from a gentleman on another forum that I am a regular on. Very helpful.

19. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    How far apart are the sites at this " old family location campground ". If I was kept awake all night by your generator , I would not care that your MIL likes to camp at this specific campground. People can get pretty mad when their vacations that they have planned and anticipated get ruined. I would only be accommodating if it was a last wish type thing or a sick child. Why can't the MIL stay home.

20. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

As you've seen here, generators are a pretty hot button issue here.

To frame my point of view, my own mom passed away last week and we buried her 2 days ago. So I'm sympathetic to what you're trying to do... we tried to keep her involved as possible as she declined over the past few years.

However the point remains... inconveniencing many people so one person can have their special needs met doesn't make sense here when there are plenty of alternatives.... the primary two being a) find a way to deliver the O2 without a generator, or b) find a different campground with shore power.

Option 'a' will cost some money but give you everything you want. Option 'b' is essentially free but require you to change your plans a bit.

Best of luck to you.

bob barnes and NothingsChocking like this.