Generator Noise Level in Campgrounds ?

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by steelhead51, Feb 23, 2011.

1. steelhead51

steelhead51 New Member

Mar 2, 2010
    What are the rules for noise levels for generators in campgrounds ?

2. turtle

turtle New Member

Feb 14, 2007
    You would have to ck each campgrounds rules. I personally think they should not be allowed unless the noise level is low enough that any other camper in the park cannot hear them at all. I camp to get away from as much of that kind of nosie as possible.

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    I'd be interested if there are noise limits.
    Some campgrounds they can be used a few hours a day and others not at all.
    Each campground has its own rules like:

"Quiet hours and Generator Use

Activities must be kept to a level that ensures noise does not disturb other campers. Quiet hours are from 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.

Generator use in campgrounds is permitted only during the hours: 8:00 – 10:00 a.m.; 12 noon – 2:00 p.m.; and 5:00 – 7:00 p.m.

Unreasonable idling of motor vehicles is prohibited."

4. NetDad

NetDad New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Ditto - I don't want to be next to a site with a loud generator.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I've never seen a CG with a specific noise limit. It would have to be set in terms of decibels and who has the equipment to monitor that? Besides, the rangers have enough to do without adding that. As mentioned above, most CGs just have a rules for when you can use a generator and a majority of them have one, two or three two-hour periods during the day when they can run, e.g., 8-10 AM, 12-2 PM and 4-6 PM. Most prohibit night use. The bottom line is to get a quiet one (Yamaha or Honda) and run it as little as possible.

6. wvKING

wvKING New Member

May 12, 2010
    Start it up, walk 100 feet away. If you can still hear it (even a little) it is too loud to use at a public campground. How would you like it if you if you were camping in the next lot?

7. turtle

turtle New Member

Feb 14, 2007
    At Ohio CG's 100 ft is too far. I would say start it up walk as far away as the next campsite would be. About 40-50 ft here and if you can even hear it the neighboring campers can hear it. Don't use it.

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    Does the 100' rule apply to excited kids having a good time?

9. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Charles
    Cass sits back to see where this thread goes..... [Guitar] This could get ugly.

I'm among those who believe that generators should only be used if they are quiet enough that your neighbors can't hear them. However, I understand too that some people don't want to hear my kids laughing and giggling so....I suppose we all have to compromise.

10. I certainly hope not. I will deal with it if it does.

I would urge everyone to read the OP more carefully. He never asked for anyone's blessing to run a generator. He is an adult, and capable of making that decision on his own. Certainly no one here has the right to condemn his choice.

Before anyone gets sanctimonious about it, there is a nearly endless list of pet peeves that we could (but won't) get into that goes WAAAAAY beyond generators. Courteousy and Respect should guide our camping decisions, and our posting habits.

11. Manper

Manper New Member

Jul 7, 2010
    we always check the "welcome" board when we arrive to see what quiet hours are listed.

12. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    I've heard of noise limits before for the forest service usually something like xyz generator meets Forest Service noise limit. I've also read from generator makers sites there is no standard distance for measuring noise.

Link below has a link to (36CFR2.12)

http://www.klenger.net/RV_General/Electrical_Generator_Noise/index.html

I believe they all have a spark arrestor.

13. turborich

turborich Active Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I still like my little Harbor Freight 2 stroke generator, it powers anything that I would ever need to run but I would NEVER fire it up during quiet time & only if I absolutely needed it anytime else. The Honda's are very quiet however at $1,000+ bucks you can keep em! Got the HF generator for a whopping $75 bucks out the door. If I can ever find a used Honda for cheap on Craigslist then I might grab it.

Last time we went camping a guy with a small RV on a Toyota chassis had a big generator running & it sounded as if the muffler was rotted out, The loud thumping pinata music was even worse though. People have NO respect anymore. I thought you went camping to escape the loud noises of the city, not to bring it with.

14. I don't know about noise limits, but many state and national parks require a spark arresting muffler on a generator. The loud contractor grade generators may not have them. Usually digital inverter generators do.

15. GetOutSide

GetOutSide Let's go get lost...

Oct 25, 2010
    IMNSHO, I would ask any fellow camper to use those guidelines posted above *wherever* they go, regardless of the posted rules.

16. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Way to go Xolthrax, these genny threads tend to get real ugly real fast!

17. wolfcat1

wolfcat1 New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    The last time I posted a genny question on a forum it did indeed get ugly QUICK!!! and my OP was never answered...so I made my self a promise to never comment on a genny post again..sorry..it just ain't worth it...wolfie

18. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Mar 10, 2008
    Highland Springs Va
    this is from the rec.gov reservation website that handles the federal parks campgrounds. this what the website says:

GENERATORS: Generator use (60 decibel limit) is restricted to 8AM to 10 AM and 4PM to 7 PM. Sites where generators are prohibited, regardless of time, include all group sites, all walk-to sites, and sites F120 through F138 and G151 through G166.

19. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    That would be valid for one particular federal campground. Many don't have more than one loop, much less F and G loops or 166 sites.

The time and decibel limits are a pretty good standard though for anyone to observe. No one wants to hear a loud generator from another site, period, and no one should have to listen to them too early in the day, all day, or in the evening when it's time to sit by the fire.

20. hunter2601

hunter2601 New Member

Feb 3, 2008
    I find it interesting to see everyone's different opinions on generators. While I haven't had the chance to use it camping yet, I too bought the little 800W Harbor Freight generator. Is it as quiet as a $1000+ Honda? No way. But is less than $100 worth a chance to recharge my battery? You bet. I plan on using it mostly boondocking, so pissing off the neighbor shouldn't be too much of an issue.

One idea, though, is to build a baffle for the generator. My family used to put on a free festival in the inner city for all the kids, and we had to run off of generator power. We had a line of about 4 or 5 generators, and we built a three-sided (also with a top) plywood box for each one of them. We made sure the open side was where the exhaust let out, and pointed that side away from all of the action. You wouldn't believe the sound difference from just pointing all of the sound away from where the people are.

I plan on building a small baffle for my little generator, and I'm thinking I can even (with the right kind of hinges) make the whole thing fold back onto itself flat. When I do I'll be sure to post a picture.