Going to boon dock for a first time

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by sallugo, Sep 20, 2014.

1. sallugo

sallugo Member

Next weekend we will be boon docking at Rose Canyon Lake in Tucson AZ. We will be at about 6000-7000 feet above, so AC will not be needed...we will get there about 2pm on Saturday and will only be staying for that night. Do you think the battery will last for that one night? We'll definitely keep lights to minimum use, but will need to use furnace and possibly heated mattresses to sleep...will also plan on taking an extra propane tank.

2014 Flagstaff Mac 228d
    2004 Ford Expedition 4x4 5.4L
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

One night is fine with your battery for lights and water pump. Furnace will run on propane. But how do you power the heated mattress?

3. sallugo

sallugo Member

The heated mattress is standard plug in...the furnace has a blower, is that not electric? As soon as thermostat turns on pilot ignites.

2014 Flagstaff Mac 228d

4. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Mattresses won't work without AC power. If you have a fully charged battery and it is at least a group 24 and you set the thermostat at 60 or less then you most likely will have enough battery to make it through the night. Hopefully you will still have enough for the emergency breakaway brake system if needed

5. sallugo

sallugo Member

I have a generator that I can bring and possibly charge battery in morning some?

2014 Flagstaff Mac 228d

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

With our Cobalt, we can use the LED ceiling lights a good amount and the furnace overnight, set at about 58 degrees without taking the battery below 50%. In general, it stays above that, unless it is really cold and a long evening with the lights on. That said, we also have taken heat retention measures, and the Cobalt is a smallish pup (8').
    As others have said, the heated mattresses will not work, as a standard plug in item; your ac plugs only work when you have power. Even if they worked on 12v, they would use too much battery capacity for dry camping.

7. swordfish

I assume you will be using an inverter to hook up your heated mattress to the battery. Try it this weekend to see how fast the battery goes 50%. Some experts may be able to calculate battery drain based on wattage of your mattress. I think probably not more than a couple of hours. Trickle charging a battery takes a long time.

If you run your furnace all night and have a down comforter you should be warm. Heated mattress just smells trouble to me.

8. sallugo

sallugo Member

No inverter...maybe for the future. I'll just use the furnace and our down sheets. We are just going to jump in with both feet!! [emoji1]

Just curious, those that dry camp for a few days...do they have a couple of batteries? I guess they use generators to charge?

All of you have been great help and a wealth of info! Thanks!!!

2014 Flagstaff Mac 228d

9. swordfish

Inverter makes 12v DC into 110v AC to run your heated mattress, unless your heated mattress is a 12v DC one (unheard of).

Have you read Lifespeed's power setup? That is what you need for camping for a week without hookups. The cost for that setup (I didn't dare to ask) would buy me a Honda EU2000i or 2 Champion 2000w generators.

10. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Sleeping bags!

11. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

Yes, those who dry camp regularly normally have two batteries. They use two Group 27 batteries (or Group 31) wired in parallel, or two 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series. The latter provides the most capacity. Either of these options greatly increase your ability to boondock.

And yes, a generator can be very helpful for extended stays.

12. kitphantom

We have had just one battery on the Cobalt. With only the furnace and two LED ceiling lights, it has worked fine for us. We have a solar panel set-up, 15 watts total. They generally top off the battery by early afternoon, if not sooner.he nice things is that the solar panels just do their job without us needing to do much of anything, once they are connected. In rare cases, we'll move them for more direct sun if trees block it quickly.
    We dry camp more often than not, so we have learned how to use electrical things since we got a pup. We ground camped for two decades.
    We'll see if we need to add a second battery with the TT, it has more lights and at some point, we'll start to use the water system (so we'll have that pump).

13. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

suggest you use furnace sparingly to warm you in the evening, and again in morning. Leave it off while sleeping, and add a sleeping bag.

14. kitphantom

Correction: we have four 15-watt solar panels, for a total of 60 watts.

until we knew how much power the lights and furnace tended to use, we did not leave the furnace on all night. if it is really cold, we sometimes leave it on all night, but set at 52 or so, so it keeps things from getting too chilly. With all the heat retention measures we've done (throw rugs, PUGs, inside PUGs and/or fleece clipped over the walls (we never did the Reflectix inserts), th epup retains heat pretty well.

15. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Hey Rose Canyon, just up the road here.

Forget the heated mattress I say and how ya gonna power it anyway unless the site has hookups. (I can't remember what is up there). Won't be that cold anyway there. We put sheets on the bed top and bottom. Then a light blanket then the sleeping bag and it makes an awesome insulator. Unless temps are going to drop below 40, we don't even use the heater until the morning to take the chill off. Bring the generator if you like but ugghhhhh they are soooo rude and ruin the peace of it all for everyone.

We have two 6 volt batteries charged up by solar daily. We don't worry about power use one bit. Run a lil LED T.V. LED lighting, water pump, furnace, charge laptops, wifi repeater, no prob.

Have fun up there! [A]

16. Lizooki

Lizooki getting back 2 nature

Coleman lanterns and an extra blanket.
    My idea of boondocking only has batteries ion the flashlights.

I have been to known to camp entire weekends with nothing more than a box of food , a cooler and 2 tarps and a sleeping bag.

Doing without electricity isn't all that hard, just takes a bit of planning.

Matt

17. jclqwest

jclqwest New Member

I don't know about others, but our furnace completely kills the battery if trying to run throughout the night.

I think the key is to not try to heat the air except for taking the morning chill off.

Focus on bedding and your sleeping situation. And it sounds crazy, but perhaps consider some beanie stocking hats for sleeping in.

I've been considering a Mr. Buddy heater...I'm curious if anyone has experiences with those units. I will be camping at 11,000 feet in late October.

18. sallugo

sallugo Member

Going to boon dock for a first time

I think you are referring to the Mr. Buddy propane heaters that are safe for indoors?

I have one and plenty of small propane tanks...just the thought of propane and using indoor still scares me...but it works fantastic! Even has a thermostat!!

2014 Flagstaff Mac 228d
    Sent from my iPhone

19. Islandwoman20

Islandwoman20 New Member

Hey Rose Canyon, just up the road here.

Forget the heated mattress I say and how ya gonna power it anyway unless the site has hookups. (I can't remember what is up there). Won't be that cold anyway there. We put sheets on the bed top and bottom. Then a light blanket then the sleeping bag and it makes an awesome insulator. Unless temps are going to drop below 40, we don't even use the heater until the morning to take the chill off. Bring the generator if you like but ugghhhhh they are soooo rude and ruin the peace of it all for everyone.

We have two 6 volt batteries charged up by solar daily. We don't worry about power use one bit. Run a lil LED T.V. LED lighting, water pump, furnace, charge laptops, wifi repeater, no prob.

Have fun up there! [A]
    [/quote]

Hi! Can you elaborate more on what you use for solar? Also, do you have an inverter for charging your laptops & running your tv or how do you make them work?

I have been a 10 year tenter so boondocking is the "norm" for me but now I have this cute little pup that makes camping feel like a luxury!

Thanks!