Going to the Dark Side

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by cyndib, Oct 15, 2018.

1. cyndib

cyndib Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Arnold, Missouri
    Never thought we would do it, especially after just buying a new popup last January. However after purchasing a couple of lake lots, we decided to pull the trigger on a hard side. Very sad to pull our popup to the dealership on Saturday.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    [:!] But life is change. Where are these lake lots? We will all visit and setup our camper so you won't feel so sad. [LOL]

Redbird234, hayyward, kcsa75 and 2 others like this.
  3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Congratulations! What did you buy? I was worried about missing my popup... hasn't happened yet! [:)C]

kcsa75 and cyndib like this.
  4. cyndib

cyndib Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Arnold, Missouri
    We bought a 25 ft Surveyor by Rockwood Forest. Still kept it small, however looking forward to not having the set up or take down and worrying about whether or not it will rain. We only have to pull it one time to set it up on our property. Still a little nervous about learning about emptying the black water tank and such, but we have until spring to read up and figure that out.

5. cyndib

cyndib Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Arnold, Missouri
    Come visit......we're in Missouri!!

6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    Emptying the tanks is really easy. The hardest part is getting up the nerve to do it the first time. From then on, it's no big deal.

Orchid, Adina*Moo, RockyRoo and 3 others like this.
  7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Congrats on going dark, you will never regret it or go back. Good Luck and Happy Camping

8. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    Not true at all [::)] ... BTDT, after 20 yrs of RVing I know ALL the drawbacks of The Darkside, and am going back. :tongue: Congrats to the OP, I have little doubt you will really enjoy your new travel trailer, especially located full time on a lakeside lot, but you will learn that there is a LOT more effort & expense to owning & using a travel trailer than there was with your popup. It may take you some time to realize it but it is the reality. ;)

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    More/less upkeep is sort of conditional. Our TT is small and has no more equipment than many large popups, so it's difficult to compare. No canvas to take care of, but we have it detailed 2 or 3 times a year, including treating the EDPM roof, for example.
    My reality is that I cannot handle a popup solo, so going to the TT has extended the years I'll be able to take solo trips. I plan to do that for as long as I can. (A severe sinus/ear/mastoid infection this year canceled 4 months of camping, including 4 trips, which just reinforced my determination to camp when I can.) The pups extended our camping season, the TT extended it a bit more - and made cold weather trips more comfortable than in the popup. We did lows in the teens in both popups, not deliberately, and survived, have only experienced the 20s int he TT, so far.

hayyward likes this.
  10. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    The majority of folks don't go back to popups. Grey Fox obviously has a dislike for anything other than a popup as he repeatedly posts the same argument (that is faulty at its core) on every "going to the darkside thread".

Rather than being so negative, how about a simple "congratulations" to those who make the leap...

emoney likes this.
  11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Congrats ...... enjoy.

12. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    Rubbish - we enjoyed our travel trailers thoroughly, just as we enjoyed our popups thoroughly before that, now it's just time to return to the simplicity of a popup. I have no bias or preference either way, each serves a purpose, and if you actually read my post you'd recognize that I merely disagreed with the statement that the OP "will never regret it or go back" and no I don't have "a dislike for anything other than a popup". We don't know the OP won't ever return to one, maybe they will someday - some do and are quite happy for it. As for being negative I did congratulate the OP on their travel trailer purchase. :tongue:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  13. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    As I never stated that the OP would never go back, perhaps you should take your own advice.

14. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    We felt the same way about the pop up we bought... was it just last year? It was our last try at pop up ownership. We had great ideas of getting back to pure and simple camping. I'm glad it is best for some, but for us it wasn't. pop ups and travel trailers are both nice. but each have their place and it's good when you know what works for what you need.

we like camping road trips. drive, rest, eat, drive, stop for the night, enjoy the morning. probably stay in camper at destination. even when visiting family, bringing your own room can be welcome, especially with a couple of dogs along. not many places along the way are appropriate for spending the night in a pop up. some neighborhoods would be unsafe for a canvas sided camper. popping up and folding down for one night stays, impractical and exhausting.

we had a class B+ for several years. we really enjoyed it for road trips, but didn't like to break camp every time we needed to drive somewhere when camping. Plus it is an extra engine to maintain.
    all campers take maintenance and work. I find the travel trailer to be the least work and expense.

If we only went camping in the woods for long weekends, or a week in the summer like when we had kids at home, the pop up was perfect. Real camping, plenty of room. If we only went on road trips and wanted to avoid motels, the class B is best. but we use our travel trailer both ways, a lot more, and it's better in a lot more situations.

I want to be able to pack and prepare at leisure, not only when the camper is popped up. I want to leave the campsite and lock the door and go fishing or kayaking or exploring. En route, be able to stop on the side of the road and enter the camper to eat lunch, take a nap or use the facilities.

towing a medium sized trailer isn't hard. my husband doesn't like driving much. I love to drive. hitching and towing is pretty effortless. even backing up a medium small trailer is easier than I thought possible. I can, and have done it solo and love the security and convenience of our TT.

15. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    My apologies, I've edited my post to clarify my objections to nineoaks statement who said the OP "would never go back" AND to yours which claim I "have a dislike for anything but a popup", both of which are nonsense. My position stands - some of us do go back to popup camping for very good reasons that we fully understand, my own reasons clearly stated in this discussion -

http://popupportal.com/threads/tt-is-it-really-an-upgrade.60382/page-8

16. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Well, I think what they were implying was the statement "you will never regret it.." isn't necessarily
    "not true". Now, in your case, it is, but not in every case. So, with the odds at the very worst being
    50/50, neither is true or false.

They say confusion often settles the masses....:)