Good Price for 2011 Aliner Classic?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by aardvark, Apr 4, 2019.

1. aardvark

aardvark Member

Just curious what you veterans know about this. I'm looking at moving from a tent trailer to a hard side A Frame because of the ease of setting up, even when raining, and the abiilty to use it in the winter.

I found a 2011 Classic at a dealer a good distance away (haven't seen it yet, but they said it's been open on the lot for 19 days without leaks, which is one of the first things I'd be concerned about). They reduced it from $9,995 to $8,995, perhaps as a game or perhaps because it didn't move right away. I told the that the NADA value was $7300, and they went down to $7900 and waived the prep fee (still can't figure out why they throw in prep fees).

I'm not in a mad rush, but I did realize that I'm hesitant to take my popup out this weekend because I'd have to set it up in the rain or light snow. I frequently go places in inclement weather, because whitewater kayaking is best when it rains.

Assuming this is in good shape, is this a good value? (They say it's immaculate, but ...).

Also, considering that this is almost 9 years old (the 2020's are about to ship), what happens to these as they age? Is there much deterioration?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  2. CivilizedOne

CivilizedOne Member

I’m going to put my Aliner up for sale if you’re interested. 2018 Ranger 12. Garaged. Used 4 times. In Louisville KY. Not happy about it but the bride wants a bathroom. PM me if you’re interested. Sorry if I hijacked your thread.

3. Yacoma99

Yacoma99 Member

Age is not as important as how it was kept and you won’t really know that until you se it. As for price, NADA range is from $6050-7300 for a basic Classic. A friend in the business says he usually offers customers about 20% less than the low retail price on a trade (lots a variables in that though).

4. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

That sounds like a good price to me if it's in good shape, especially in the spring. We bought a 2013 Classic new, and it has not deteriorated at all. Like someone else said, it's not the age, but how well it was maintained. Check the wood under the rear cushions for signs of leakage that happens if any A frame is stored folded outside with the tongue low. If you're in the north, look at the roof panels to see if there is any sign of excessive snow load if stored outside folded. Like any camper, check the water system to see if it has frost damage. Look inside all cabinets and storage spaces for signs of water or mice. Try the electric, furnace, AC, and fridge to verify that they all work. You can expect to have to replace some seals, weatherstripping, and possibly roof bungees at some point. Not hard or expensive to do. Tires and wheel bearings are also items subject to wear and tear on any trailer.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  5. aardvark

aardvark Member

Thanks folks - I have an oral deal with a $1000 deposit down, which they will refund if I don't like the unit once I see it. My risk is a 4-hour drive down and a 4-hour drive back, and hopefully, I'll see an old college roommate anyway. The salesman told me that the previous owner was meticulous to a fault. I'm going to look at it and pick it up in 2 days. Anything else I should look for?

6. Yacoma99

Yacoma99 Member

The dealer should demonstrate the camper for you to ensure you understand how everything works. Don’t leave the lot without being satisfied that everything in the camper works to your satisfaction. Good luck!

7. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Look for any rusty screws that can indicate water intrusion into the roof panel laminate. Also look in all four corners at the large lift assist springs to see if any look twisted. Not common problems, but possible.

8. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Assuming the ALiner is in the shape the dealer says it is, I would have no problem paying $7900. In my area, you would definitely be on the low end of the price range for a 2011 Classic and $10,000 less than the price of a new Classic.

Congrats!

9. aardvark

aardvark Member

Thanks, folks. The former owner kept it like a dollhouse. Looks virtually new. I bought it.

BikeNFish likes this.