Good wire location for USB/voltmeter?

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by MaeKay, Dec 5, 2017 at 2:30 AM.

1. MaeKay

MaeKay Member

Oct 18, 2017
    We have a new to us 2005 Viking Epic 2308 and Hope to install this voltmeter/usb Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0748DPQ3J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_5YKjAb0CBQDE2

Does this look like a good location to add a wire to run to a new voltmeter/USB socket? Arrow is where the black/white wires come in from the battery. It then appears to head up the canvas to the roof. I assume it’s to power the lights?

6EFEBEBF-8942-46BF-9CCA-F8B87FD619DE.jpeg

We want to extend a set of wires from just under the dinette storage (with an in-line 5amp fuse) just to the outside of the u-shaped dinette and install a voltmeter/usb/12V/switch setup there. Is this a good wire to extend from?
    19CD4ACE-7F1D-4429-A371-50F06520D4FA.jpeg

The 5amp in-line fuse should protect our devices from getting fried, correct?

What gauge wire should I run?

Will this location have enough power to charge two iphones? Or does that wire connect to something like the refrigerator or furnace fan?

Is there a way to connect an additional line without cutting and reconnecting the original wire?

We switched the 3 overhead lights to LED lights so that should draw less power.

The fuse box is near the back bunk and doesn’t have room for more fuses anyway.

Any other advice you can give a total newbie? (Other than to call an electrician, something that’s not really a priority in our budget right now...) I’ve been reading through the wiring forum trying to learn as much as possible but i’m not sure what these particular wires mean in our particular model.

Thanks for the help! We’re hoping to go camping this weekend and would feel safer in this cold if we knew how much power our battery had left.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017 at 2:40 AM
  2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    That is probably the wires going to your overhead lights. I think it would be fine. I would use the same gauge wire that came with your kit, you can get that at Walmart in auto section and some connectors and crimping tool. Being that close to your battery you may consider running the wires to the battery itself.

I am sure others will chime in on advice. Good Luck!

3. MaeKay

MaeKay Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Thanks! The kit came with the blue plastic crimper things (so technical...ask me about botany instead) but no wires. I didn’t think to look at the plastic things to see what gauge wires they could accept. I just arrived at Lowe’s now. I’ll see what they have and then I might stop by Walmart again. (I hate that store but I’m there monthly.)

4. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Member

Aug 1, 2014
    On my old Carmel, I wired in a fuse block directly to the battery (https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Sys...sr=8-4&keywords=fuse+block&tag=popupportal-20) with 6g wire. That gave me 6 empty slots to power 2 separate 12v cigarette lighter plugs, 2 usb charge ports, a volt meter, and a switched fridge fan.

Here's a link to the original post:
    http://www.popupportal.com/threads/list-of-mods-performed-by-rookie-huge-thanks.90616/
    Doing it this way makes is a little more difficult up front, but gives you great access to slots for more power later (Mwaaaahaaaaahaaa!) and makes troubleshooting later much easier. Label all the circuits, everything is fused, and if one goes bad, you don't have to do a lot of monkeying around to fix (find) it.

I had to drill a hole in the floor to bring in the wire, but it was well worth it. The family I sold it to greatly appreciated having plugs/charge ports.
    I didn't need to add a fuse block to my new to me Niagara because the converter had 6 or 8 empty slots, some of which I have filled with 12v ports, usb chargers, voltmeter, a real battery monitor, all on their own circuits.

MaeKay likes this.
  5. MaeKay

MaeKay Member

Oct 18, 2017
    I love that idea!