Goodbye Skittles

Discussion in 'Best Wishes/Remembrances for Loved Ones & Friends' started by fourhallatts, Nov 22, 2017.

1. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    Today we said goodbye to our camping loving dog Skittles. We got her when she was 6 months old. She was what I liked to call a runner. We have a 4 foot chain link fence that she would jump without touching it ( I think she was part kangaroo). So for several years we had a lead line that went from the back door to the shed. She was about 10 when she finally stopped jumping (when we took in our friends dog Molly). Skittles loved the outdoors and would spend most of her time in the yard. When we would camp at the lake and my dh would try to fish Skittles would follow him out on the dock and bark until he gave up. One time she wasn't paying attention and fell in the water. She wasn't thrilled but realized she could now reach the lure. She will be missed greatly and camping won't quite be the same. Thanks for listening.

Attached Files:

Ductape likes this.
  2. neighbormike

neighbormike Active Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    I am sorry to hear of your loss. The love and affection these creatures give us is irreplaceable.

kcsa75 likes this.
  3. DJS12354

DJS12354 Active Member

So sorry for the loss of your camping buddy!

4. myride

myride Member

May 14, 2015
    It's always difficult saying goodbye to a trusted friend. A very good friend of mine sent me this the last time I felt your grief....

A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth...
    though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris

5. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Member

Sep 25, 2016
    We are lucky for the time we get with them.

6. fourhallatts

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    Thank you for your kind words everyone. Myride: the poem was beautiful, I'm planning to print it out and frame it and set it with the paw print the vet made for us. I told my son yesterday that Skittles is with Molly now (our bernese that died in March) and they are probably busy digging holes in the afterlife.

7. myride

myride Member

May 14, 2015
    So glad you found some form of solace from it, take care.

8. austinm48

austinm48 http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r604/austinm48

Dec 5, 2011
    i read your post and i smiled to think of a dog in the lake trying to swim after a fishing lure scaring away all the fish

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Sorry for your loss..Each one has their own personality, but no matter what, they are always there when they see you, with their tail wagging and are elated just to be with or around you.

10. fourhallatts

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    It really was quite funny to watch, especially since it happened more than once. It usually happened because she would bounce when she barked.
    Thanks nineoaks Skittles was always so glad to see us when we came home. She would stand at the top of the stairs with a great big smile on her face (at least that what it would look like).

11. megcabra

megcabra Active Member

I’m so sorry for the loss of Skittles. Dogs have a way of weaving themselves into our families lives and make an indelible mark on our fondest memories.

12. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    It sounds like Skittles had a good life with a loving family that cared greatly for her - and took her camping - and she gave back her trust, loyalty and companionship. It doesn't get any better than that.

May her spirit always be with you in your heart and may her memories always bring a smile.

13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Sorry for your loss. I lost my camping buddy a year ago. She just loved the adventures we would go on When we camped. To the point before I had to put her down I knew I had to take her camping one last time even if it ment I had to carry her everywhere. They do weave into your heart but leave you with wonderful memories. Someday you may feel the need to get another dog, but you are not actually replacing Skittles, just creating new memories with another.

14. fourhallatts

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    Thank you all for your condolences. It has been helpful to talk about her with all of you. Skittles will always be remembered and loved by us. I thought I would share a few more pictures of her (one of which is with her buddy Molly who we lost in March) 605.jpeg 615.jpeg

Ductape likes this.
  15. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Nov 25, 2015
    I am sorry. Dogs are so cool. They just love.
    We like them so much, we foster when we can.
    You had some good looking dogs.
    Hope you are doing ok.

16. neighbormike

neighbormike Active Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Thanks for sharing the photos! Skittles & Molly both look like my kinda dog!