GOT JUNK??? Camper Junkyards???

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Gumbias, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Gumbias

Gumbias New Member

May 25, 2008
    Are there such a thing as a Camper\Pup junkyard? I need a side storage box door for my 2000 Bayside for a MOD I have in mind for my Portable A/C. Just seeing if anyone knows of one that is either on line or near Wisconsin.

2. smellott

smellott Livin' in NH but a WV Mountaineer for life

May 11, 2009
    Southern New Hampshire
    I found a local fellow (Bedford, NH) last year that buys older junk Pups and turns them into utility trailers for sale. He then puts the unused parts up on Craigslist. When I went by his place, he had 6 or 7 stoves and electric converters, cushions, misc hardware, etc. I ended up buying a table with the mounting bracket for $5 and a propane tank cover for $1. Check your local Craigslist. I'll bet someone near you is doing a similar side business.

Scott

3. mike1wade

mike1wade Want to Dark Side

Apr 22, 2009
    try a google search for "rv scrap yards, rv junk yards, used rv parts" You should find something.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Here's a link I found a while ago that lists a bunch of them; I haven't looked at them recently, but maybe it will help:
    http://rvbasics.com/techtips/rv-salvage-replacement-parts.html

5. RayT38

RayT38 It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission

Jun 9, 2006
    Glenburn, Maine
    I just took off a cargo door from my Starmaster that I'm scrapping, Let me know the dimensions.

6. Gumbias

Gumbias New Member

May 25, 2008
    I will stop tonight at my storage and check the size. That would be great.

7. Dusty82

Dusty82 New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Northern Nevada
    That guy has a great idea, smellott. I wonder if I could get away with something like that too. I've often said that if I had room, I'd open an RV salvage yard, as there aren't any that I can find in this state. We only have an acre though, and I think DW would have some objections. I know where there are 2 likely candidates to be my first victims... er... projects... Both within walking distance of our house too.

8. Wishbone

Wishbone New Member

Mar 9, 2009
    You might try this place. Good People to deal with. I'd buy from them again. They are located between Joplin & Springfield,Mo. Wishbone-Ks

http://www.colawrvsalvage.com/

9. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Mar 25, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Scott,

Where was that place in Bedford, do you remember, I might like to check it out.

Todd

10. NH-popper

NH-popper Boldly going camping!

Mar 10, 2010
    Wow, that's right in my backyard! I'll have to check that out. Don't suppose you have any contact info for him?

Was his name Terry by any chance?

11. smellott

May 11, 2009
    Southern New Hampshire
    I found him on Craigslist last year. I believe his name is Adam. He's off Back River Rd. I've not seen any posts on CG from him in a while. I'll dig through my email at home this weekend to see if I can find his email addy.

Scott

12. NH-popper

NH-popper Boldly going camping!

Mar 10, 2010
    Wow. That almost literally is in my backyard. Within a mile or so, anyway...

13. smellott

May 11, 2009
    Southern New Hampshire
    I found the contact info . . . shoot me a PM and I'll pass along the email and phone number.

Scott

14. lvbelden

lvbelden New Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Any chance you could send me this info to contact the person in Bedford, NH?

15. friartuck

friartuck Active Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    Gumbias - there are bunches of salvage and used part places around the Elkhart IN area. At an outing in Indiana a couple of years ago 'the guys' spent the better part of a day going from yard to yard, just looking. Good times, good times. [:D]

16. Dusty82

Dusty82 New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Northern Nevada
    I know that I said what I said above a little over a year ago, but I also know that things can change. I'm seriously considering doing what I said I'd like to do. DW shocked the bejeebers out of me yesterday by suggesting that I could make a bit of money on the side dragging home old trailers and parting them out. My reply was, "Who are you and what have you done with my wife?" [:D]

Seriously, I've stripped 2 trailers over the last few months (the Saratoga and an old Kenskill TT) and by selling the tanks, appliances, and various bits and pieces alone, I've made a decent profit on each one - not even counting the scrap metals, which I haven't taken to the scrap yard yet.

I'm seriously thinking about scouring our little town and dragging home old irreparable pups and stripping them. Lots of folks have old trailers around here that they'd be happy to have someone haul off for free - that's how I got the Saratoga and the Kenskill. I might even find a diamond in the rough that's worth saving and sell it outright.

I'm not seeing a down side here. Somebody talk me out of this, will you please?

17. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Santa Ynez, California
    Dusty,
    #1 Do you have the Time to do all that dissassembly and resale.

#2 For the profit you make does it equate to a good hourly wage.

If yes to #1 and #2, I'd say go for it. Would,nt want to see you on the next tv segment of Hoarders.
    Or, maybe I would. [LOL]

Enjoy Camping!

18. Dusty82

Dusty82 New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Northern Nevada
    LOL!

I'm Dusty, and I'm a pupaholic... [8D]

I do have the time - that's not a problem. I've been unemployed for close to 2 years (I'm starting a fledgling home-based business despite the naysayers) so I have most of the day.

The profit doesn't really translate to an hourly wage yet, mainly because selling parts is kind of hit and miss with such a limited inventory. If I broke it down part by part, I'd say I could make a fantastic wage. It wouldn't be a regular wage, but as DW put it, it would be money on the side.

There are expenses involved, and I know that - unless a market for nasty old delaminated plywood or sodden dinette cushions suddenly develops. But above and beyond that, I think it could be a big help to folks needing parts (especially obscure stuff) and if I can make a few dollars on the side to help me buy tools and supplies for my business, I still can't see a down side.

19. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Make sure to check local ordinances. I had a friend that did scrap hauling...not even in town and the county shut him down until he built a building to do all the cutting and put up a fence surrounding the "yard"

20. UpNorth-John

UpNorth-John New Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Dusty, that's an awesome idea. When I first got our (now antique) Krown pup, I started buying parts from the original dealer (who had gone to the Rockwood brand) because many parts are interchangeable. Then I found this RV parts dealer about 30 miles away - he sold both new and used and had a HUGE inventory of surplus parts. We're talking dozens of trailers and mobilehomes filled with parts. I would go there and spend and hour just searching through the trailers. My pup has many parts that wouldn't have been affordable (if I could have even found them) had it not been for Brad's RV in Brighton, MI. Unfortunately his place closed years ago (maybe 15+) and I haven't found anyone else that even compares (even on the 'net). He even had a catalog of new and used parts...great prices (about 1/2-1/4 of new) - I remember buying cargo access doors for $8 - $20 (new and unused, but very dusty) - my local 'discount' place wants $70 [:O]. I think he eventually had some business partner trouble and wound up selling off everything and closing...sad.

One source you may want to consider for 'salvage' pups is any RV storage lots - many have abandoned or 'been sitting here forever' trailers that might be available for pennies or 'take em off my hands...please'. Another place we see them around here is behind small shops (tool, machine, fab, etc) - many owners and employees store stuff like that and things just end up getting forgotten until they're 'too far gone' for use and sit there falling apart. Good luck with it and keep us posted.