Got lucky at REI this weekend!

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Sneezer, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    My local REI had a garage sale this weekend. I only found out about it from an overheard conversation at a Boy Scout gear sale I was at on Saturday. Decided why not, lets go check it out on the way home. Got there and stood in line for close to an hour and a half until they let me into the sale area. I was really looking for some crossbars to fit my new Aspen.

They had a ton of returned Yakima and Thule hardware, so I spent the time researching my options and decided to go for Thule this time as it was rated for heavier loads than the Yakima on my application. Dug through a bunch of stuff and scored a complete set of Crossroads mounts that even had two lock cores installed, along with a 58" pair of square Thule load bars. Spent $60 total, so I was really happy with that find.

Got home and got it installed. Looks good, although the bars are a tad longer - 50" was the minimum specified for my vehicle. Once I got it on I decided to put my wind deflector on that I bought several years ago but never got around to modding it to fit the Yakima bars on my Magnum. Unfortunately it turned out to be too long for the Aspen as it has to sit between the raised roof rails, which I didn't have on the Magnum.

Since the REI folks said they still had pallets to unload on Saturday I decided to make another stab on Sunday. Found the right size wind deflector and a 50" pair of load bars, and they were taking 50% off the lowest price, which was already stupid low. Paid $10 each, and then their staff hooked me up with a Thule hitch mounted Apex 4 bike carrier, and cannibalized some trunk mount units so I had all the straps and a couple spare parts. I got it for $40. This will come in really handy for scout trips when we bring bikes.

I just totaled it all up, and it looks like I got almost $1100.00 worth of bike rack and roof rack stuff for about $120. Needless to say I am quite happy, and I already have keys ordered from Ebay for the locks so I will be all set. I don't always strike gold at the REI garage sales, but this one I sure did!

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Active Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We have bought a lot of our equipment at REI - at the garage sale (used to be called scratch and dent) and in general. Tents, backpacks, hiking boots, one of our Thule cargo boxes. We don't usually see as wide an assortment of things now, since they revised their return policy, after so many misuses of it. ("I bought these boots two years ago, after only 2000 miles, the laces broke.")
    We've missed most of the garage sales this year, often being camping instead.

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Yeah - I have looked at that before. It is on my wish list, although it is in the want and not need category! I will admit I have been super impressed with Nemo stuff though. I have a couple pads, pillows and one awesome sleeping bag for winter camp.

I also picked up a single Kingdom sleep system and tried it out last night. Used my current pad, the perforated foam topper and then the fitted fluffy sheet on top. Slid the integrated top sheet and quilt onto the assembled unit and was quite comfy. Can't wait to try it out this weekend on our scout campout.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Congrats on the deal of the ages, We all get can use a little luck once in a while.. Good Luck and Happy Camping

6. Ductape

Ductape Active Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Score Bobby Orr !!! [:D]