Grizzly Grip Roof Repair

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by NYR774, Apr 26, 2018.

1. NYR774

NYR774 New Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Western PA
    Using the advice I found on this forum I replaced my popup outer fiberglass layer with Grizzley Grip. I had been chasing some roof cracks with repair tape and finally decided to just pull the roof off and go with Grizzly Grip.

I ordered two of the 4x6 kits in Snow White and ended up with surplus (4 extra 1 quart containers). I personally found that solid standard rollers from Lowes (full size for the roof and 4 inch for the sides) worked better then the ones supplies by Grizzly Grip.

Some pictures below:

Cracking:

resized_PHOTO_20180413_104718.jpg PHOTO_20180413_101151.jpg

Roof off, foam exposed:
    resized_PHOTO_20180413_105508.jpg resized_PHOTO_20180413_110007.jpg

Grizzly Grip and new seal on:
    resized_PHOTO_20180414_130232.jpg resized_PHOTO_20180414_130529.jpg

Attached Files:

jnc likes this.
  2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    Looks great!

3. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    good job replacing ABS roof.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Great looking job !!

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Absolutely fantastic looking! There was no saving that ABS, it was clearly delaminated. Now you have a brand new, solid roof that will last a lifetime. Great job!

6. NYR774

NYR774 New Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Western PA
    Thanks everyone. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, much better then the taped up old roof.

If anyone has any questions on the process I would be more then happy to help.

7. eagerbeaver

eagerbeaver New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    So do you think 1 4x8 kit would be enough for the cheyenne and did you order fine or coarse?

Thanks.

8. Jml96sv

Jml96sv Member

Feb 19, 2017
    How strong is it? Do you think it could handle solar panels and A/C?

9. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    Great job @NYR774!

Our Grizzly Grip roof has an AC and a bike rack. We have an interior supporting brace for the AC. We completed ours in August 2016. So far, no issues.

The only real qualm I had was the other week when my 300 pound husband stood on the roof to pressure wash it.o_O

10. NYR774

NYR774 New Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Western PA
    I ordered the fine.

I'm not sure of the size of the Cheyenne but if I did my camper again I would order a 4X6 kit plus one extra quart. Looking at the website the 4X8 kit is one gallon plus three quarts so I think that will cover you if the Cheyenne and Sun Valley are around the same size.

11. NYR774

NYR774 New Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Western PA
    Thanks and thanks for answering about the AC. I don't have an AC or anything else on my roof so I wasn't sure.

MrsSquid likes this.
  12. eagerbeaver

eagerbeaver New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Thanks for responding. I measured the Cheyenne and it's about 12.5 ft long and the typical 7 ft wide not including the famous drop curve we all have. My roof just has some cracks freshly started with no delam or peeling at all so my plan is to just lightly sand with 220 grit, clean dust off then coat. Hopefully this is all I need to do. If it still delaminates in 5 years then I'll just redo it? Thoughts?

13. NYR774

NYR774 New Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Western PA
    I forget the exact dimensions of the Sun Valley but that sounds about right. I think I was 12ft by 9ft including the sides down to the seal so you should be pretty good with the 4X8 kit.

Since I pulled my roof off I'm not 100% sure how well the grizzly grip will cover the cracks. If they are small enough and you give it enough coats they may cover but depending on how bad they are you might want to address them before the application.

While I was researching the roof painting I found this link where they repaired some cracks and painted the roof without removing the abs:

http://www.thepopupprincess.com/pop...-camper-remodel-repairing-a-coleman-abs-roof/

After repair they used basically the same steps you are planing so it sounds like you are in good shape.

As far as redo I agree with you; Worst case it delaminates and you repaint in the future.

Good luck with the project, I hope it goes well for you.

eagerbeaver likes this.
  14. CoolCanuck

CoolCanuck New Member

So, did you find fiberglass under the ABS (i.e.- between the ABS outer shell and the foam)? I have read some posts here and other places that mention that there is some fiberglass there. I personally find that hard to believe and think that the "hard" outer surface of the foam is just the cured skin of the foam where it contacted the ABS.

Does anyone know what kind of foam Fleetwood used on these? I kind of think that it was Urethane foam that was injected between the inner and outer shells in a mold (support), such that the foam essentially glued the two sheets together. Is there any structure within the foam on the Coleman ABS roofs?

I've got a slight amount of bubbling on the roof (it's faintly visible when the roof is wet, based on the reflections) and only around 1/2 - 3/4" of sag down the middle (front-back) on my 97 SunRidge. I'm trying to develop a more permanent delam repair prior to it getting worse, so I need to know what the ABS actually adheres to.

Thanks

15. Orchid

Sometimes I refer to it as fiberglass because I have read others saying it was. I honestly have no idea what it is. To avoid confusion, in the future, I think I'll just call it "the stuff under the ABS." :laugh:

16. CoolCanuck

CoolCanuck New Member

So- what do you mean with that? I always was under the impression that that "stuff" was the foam, albeit I would expect that to have a harder "skin" surface towards the outside.

But, thinking about it, this may be better under its' own thread...

17. Orchid

Exactly that. I don't know what it is. I call it foam/fiberglass for exactly the reason you stated. It has a hard surface that is clearly not plain foam, but I don't know what it is.

If you see any if my posts calling it fiberglass, rest assured that I have no idea what it really is.

18. eagerbeaver

eagerbeaver New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Ok, thanks, I pulled the trigger and ordered. According to my phone call with GG they told me I would need a 4x8 kit plus 2 extra quarts for two coats and since shipping is so expensive I figured I would rather have a possibilty of extra than not enough.

I'll try to add a picture of a crack in my roof below to show you what I'm dealing with. Its like taking a dark strand of hair and laying it on the roof.

4 X 8 Aliphatic Kit Color
    Material : Fine
    Aliphatic Grizzly Grip Color : Snow White 1 $140.00 $140.00
    1 Quart Aliphatic Color
    Material : Fine
    Aliphatic Grizzly Grip Color : Snow White 2 $26.00 $52.00
    Product Cost : $192.00
    Discount : $0.00
    Shipping : $67.19
    Handling Fee : $3.50
    Total : $262.69 USD!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. eagerbeaver

eagerbeaver New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    OK so not to take over this thread but its the exact topic here and my "before" pics are above.

Yesterday I sanded my roof and sides down with 220 sandpaper on a round sander, lots of white dust was left behind then I used some old clean socks and wiped the roof down with acetone. The cracks literally almost disappeared just by doing this. Anyway the question I have now is after I wiped it down my roof is more shiny and slicker now than before the sanding and cleaning. Is this normal? Will the GG stick to such a slick surface? Pics to follow when my computer syncs the cloud I have.

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  20. Fless

Fless Active Member

As long as you cleaned it all off with acetone the GG shouldn't have any trouble adhering. If you're nervous about it do the same sanding routine with 100 grit, then wipe down again with acetone.

You may want to check the condition of the roof gasket and, if replacement is indicated, remove it before the GG coating. Plan on coating at least twice with the GG; in fact, I'd be using it all up since in a month or two (maybe 6?) what's left over won't be any good to use.

eagerbeaver likes this.