GVWR vs actual, do I need a new axle!?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by MNfamilycamper, May 2, 2018.

1. MNfamilycamper

MNfamilycamper New Member

May 2, 2018
    Minnesota
    2003 Starcraft 2110L being towed with a 2002 Trailblazer (6000lb tow cap.)

The tag on the camper says 3000 GVWR and it also says the camper weighs 2960. So does that mean Im 40lbs away from the max cap.?

Attached Files:

2. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    ??? I'd like to know too

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

:shocked: That would be a scary thing to read, for sure!

I am no expert on this, so I'm only going to guess, but I doubt that is the dry weight of the camper. It probably means max you should load it up to. If it's the one in your profile pic, I seriously doubt it weighs that much. Ours only weighs 2100 lbs and it has a full bathroom it in.

MNfamilycamper likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    That is the way I read it myself, but I've never seen one so close before. I have seen campers with allowable carry capacity of 150 pounds before but not any less than that. You may want to take the camper to get it weighed to verify what your actual numbers are.

MNfamilycamper and jnc like this.
  5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    This is how I look at it. Camper weighs 2960 lbs .....but 300 lbs will be on the tongue/ball hitch. Also with 13 inch tires you should have a 3500 lb axle already. So 2660 divided by 2 equal 1330 per tire. A ST175/80D13 load range C has a capacity of 1360 each at 50 psi. The tires are the weak link. A ST185/80D13 load range D tire has a capacity of 1710 lbs at 65 psi. A simple tire upgrade could increase your capacity.

6. Orchid

I completely agree with taking it to scales. But, do you really think they would have a capacity so low on a model with a storage trunk? That seems insane to me.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    No, I'm more inclined to think something was a misprint, Or I'm reading it wrong. My camper's gross weight is 3600. I have a storage trunk and slideout, I didn't look up the OP's camper stats though. Raycfe makes a fair point too, perhaps gross weight is supposed to be higher. I wonder what the OPs axle weight is?

Orchid likes this.
  8. Orchid

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    GVWR for the trailer is the max. the trailer is allowed to weigh fully loaded this includes awning, gear, food, stuff, propane tank etc ..
    One of a few numbers you should know for your trailer.
    Another one is CCC (cargo carrying capacity) this is how much cargo you can carry.. This includes full water tank, propane tank etc.(

xxxapache likes this.
  10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Not a misprint.. that is the GVWR... this is one of the important weight numbers to know when looking for a vehicle to tow a trailer... dry weight is ficticious..

Halford likes this.
  11. Orchid

His tow vehicle is quite capable. That's not in question here Everyone here already knows what a GVWR is.

The number in question is 2960 and where that number applies. I guarantee his camper doesn't weigh that much.

Whether you choose to use dry weights or not is your choice. To say the are fictious is ridiculous. All trailers come with one listed, so clearly they exist.

True, they might not mean much because nobody tows a dry trailer. But this discussion is not about towing, it's about this 2960 number and what it means.

12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I can see swapping the 2960 to 2690 that would give you some room for gear.

13. MNfamilycamper

May 2, 2018
    Minnesota
    Thank you all! I also have a very hard time believing that the dry weight is 2960, not including my 20# propane tank.... bringing it to 2980...
    I may try and find a scale just to put myself at ease. I also want to take a closer look at the axle and try to find a stamp on it, maybe the axle will have a rating too. New tires are a priority on my list before the first trip, I will be looking for some LRD tires. Also, I maybe should have mentioned that this camper does have the slide out, just to make that clear, not sure the model # really points that out. But still, that means my storage trunk would be unusable with the weight stamped on the tag. Thank you all again!!

Orchid likes this.
  14. MNfamilycamper

May 2, 2018
    Minnesota
    YES, THANK YOU! I have been looking all over the webs for something like this! The GVW (2049 approx.) weight seems to be right on with the NADA weight. I feel way more comfortable with that weight. With that being said my C rated tires should be more than enough, right. If my GVWR is 3000lbs and my tires are 3640 for the set, I think I'm good.

Orchid likes this.
  15. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    I suggest you locate a Cat Scale and get "Actual Factual" weights for your trailer in both "dry" and "wet" formats. Cat Scales are found at truck stops off major highways, usually on the edge of cities. Google "Cat Scale" and you will find a website with scale locator, how to weigh instructions, etc. The current fee at the scale near me is $12.

In the past the weights given for trailers were for the bare bones model, with no options. Some time later rules and regs changed to require a weight statement showing the "as built" weight, including all options like furnace, AC, water heater and the like. I don't know the date of the change, perhaps another member can educate me.

When I first got the Aframe I went to the Cat Scale east of Longmont, CO and weighed it "dry"- no water in the tank, no gear, etc. Took this weight slip with me to register the trailer. After a few trips and mods I weighed in "wet"- as packed for a week long trip with water, food, newly added second propane tank and second battery, and all the ancillary gear. After installing a weight distributing hitch I weighed again to verify correct hitch set up.

16. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, 20# propane tanks don't weigh 20#. They have a tare weight stamped on them, usually around 18 pounds, and then you add the amount of propane to that. So they are closer to 40 pounds.

17. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    Do you have a photo of the entire sticker? The 2960 is probably the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR), not the dry weight of the pup. That would explain why it’s under the “Front” column. It’s less than the GVWR because the tongue carries some weight too.

18. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Can we see the whole sticker?

Orchid likes this.
  19. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    Look on the back of the cabinet doors. There should be sticker that lists GVWR, as built weight, which includes all factory installed options, and estimated dry weight, which is as built weight + 1 g24 battery + 1 full 20# propane tank.

I agree with Rusty that the 2960 is the GAWR, but that's only a guess because the sticker is cropped.