HAM RADIO

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by Kutseena, Apr 8, 2015.

1. vbehan

vbehan New Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Wow, that is a nice set-up Roy! [:O]

2. roybraddy

roybraddy Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Thanks - I love going up on the mountains on the West Virginia/Virginia wooded state line behind Harrisonburg VA close to a spot called FLAGPOLE KNOB. This is in the George Washington Natl Forest just off one of their forest service roads... I have a neat spot out of sight with a good view of many rolls of mtns to the West... With my off-road popup camper I can stay out for a couple of weeks if momabear will let me.

There is surprising a lot of traffic on the forest road with Jeeps and off road ATV etc etc... They don't see me but I bet they can hear my radios haha...

I can run all of my toys one day/night and just start getting close to the 50% charge state then in the morning during breakfast I can run my generator within rules permission to use my on-board converter to charge my batteries back up to their 90% charge state in around three hours. Have a good place to get water and dump my waste not to far from me from a Natl Forest camp ground or sorts. Neat to find this place as it is not making me haul out a bunch of stuff.

Once charged up I'm good to go for the next day/night run off my batteries...

I'm working on a bigger and better battery bank now since my original battery bank install back in 2008 is just now needing replacement... Currently have 255AHs setup and the new setup will be 440Ahs using two paralleled groups of 6VDC batteries in series...

I have a couple of other good tent camping spots next to a stream that is great as well... Rangers are great folks in the George Washington bunch...

When at home this setup is Emergency Radio setup as well as power backup for my radios at home... I can run for weeks without house power if I can find a gasoline source in the county haha...

Roy ken

3. rdmullins

rdmullins New Member

Jun 17, 2016
    Just passed my exam back in the fall and our camping season had already come to an end [:(] by the time I had a portable rig up and running, but I'm hoping to take mine with me the next time we go out. I got a little QRP Pixie kit to build over the winter break and I'd like to try that from the campsite too. 73, Roger, KM4WVE

4. Fleetwood Max

Fleetwood Max Member

Aug 14, 2005
    St Louis. Mo
    this is on my to do list for the coming summer.. always wanted to be a hammer....lol

5. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

Jan 23, 2011
    I always bring my Yaesu FT-60R (About $150.00). It is a dual band hand-held. I also like to bring my Arrow dual band antenna to work satellites. I sometimes camp in areas that are located in hard to get counties. I will work many hams from those areas to help them reach their contesting goals.
    I have been kicking around setting up my HF rig for some digital contacts. I love working PSK31. I wouldn't mind working all states in that mode. Ham radio is a nice fit with camping. Enjoy the hobby. 73, K9CPO