Harbor Freight WDH

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by TexasRN, May 17, 2019.

1. TexasRN

TexasRN New Member

Does anyone know if the WDH from Harbor Freight will work with a Coleman popup? The side mounted jack makes it difficult to find a WDH that works.

2. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I don't know if it will fit or not, but I would never trust a WDH from Harbor Freight.

If you haven't already, you need to confirm that the frame on your pup will support a WDH.

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

In general, I don't see how a side mounted jack will allow for attachment of the spring bar points on the tongue. You'd need to have a pretty long tongue, and then have the jack mounted pretty far back, and then swing away from the mounts... that's a lot of holes in the swiss cheese to align.

I usually see center mount jacks when using a WDH.

Also, check your tongue channels. If they are closed tube, you may be okay. If they are open or "C" channel, you're going to need to do some mods, including perhaps some welds, to make it all work okay... perhaps.

I would be skeptical of a Harbor Freight WDH too. Just my [2C]

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Harbor Freight is good for stuff that you need in a pinch for cheap. They will never be accused of having high quality stuff. If you need something that is cheap and "good enough", go to Harbor Freight. If you want dependability and high quality, stay away.

With that being said, I purchase stuff from Harbor Freight all the time, but with the idea of knowing that if it fails (and there is a higher probability that it will) it is to be expected and I got exactly what I paid for.

5. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

You can have a side mounted jack and wdh. You need attach one side of your spring bars first, then lower the jack and swing it up. Then do the other springbar with your lever bar. I don't know about the HF wdh but if the springbar is about 5 inches below the tongue, you're good.

6. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I’ve seen many people with travel trailers that are happy with the HF WDH. But, in addition to potential mounting issues, the real problem with it is that it comes only with 10,000 lb trailer /1,000 lb tongue weight spring bars, which are way too stiff for a pup and could potentially kink the tongue right off on a big enough dip. The bars need to be matched to the tongue weight of the trailer.

This guy was using the HF WDH on an R-pod TT, and destroyed his tongue and nearly lost the whole trailer.

B9BF618C-D92D-4EBC-9899-32A97DAA6608.jpeg