Has anything been stolen from your popup?

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by redfragglerocker, Mar 19, 2010.

1. redfragglerocker

redfragglerocker Jen & Mike, Andrew (8) and Justin (5)

Aug 28, 2007
    Clarence, NY
    As a follow-up to the "has your PU ever been stolen" thread, I was wondering if anyone has ever had anything stolen from their pop-up, tow vehicle, or campground?

What steps do you take to secure your campsite and pop-up?

2. ARWCanuck

ARWCanuck Member

May 31, 2009
    Kitchener, Ontario
    We've been lucky so far - we've never had anything taken, except by squirrels and chipmunks.

We did hear about someone last year who had their bikes taken out of their campsite though.

3. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Nope, never! We camp at Nascar Races and leave everything out and have never had a problem. And, never at SPs or private campgounds. Don't know if we have been lucky, but generally aware of our surroundings. If we felt at risk or uncomfortable at a campsite or campground, we would probably not stay there. That being said, we don't leave anything valuable other than the 15" television in the camper. We feel less safe staying in a hotel.

4. Island Ranger

Island Ranger New Member

Aug 14, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Theres always a risk when camping but so far nothing stolen. we never take valuable items though.

5. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

Sep 8, 2008
    Pacific Northwest
    No not yet but I'm sure it will happen some day. We keep valuables out of sight or locked in the TV. We never leave anything out that may tempt someone into thievery.

6. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Northern Nevada
    We usually camp where we're the only people around but much like aslag we keep anything of value out of sight. So far we've had no problems at all, but you never know. I figure keeping things put away keeps honest people honest and eliminates the temptation.

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    You really can't secure your PUP. After all, it is just a tent on a box. If someone wants in, they will get in. Keep valuables with you or locked in the TV out of sight.

8. Mountainbikecop

Mountainbikecop Death Smiles At Everyone -- Marines Smile Back"

Oct 20, 2009
    Broadway VA
    Had a towel stolen from the hood of m TV. Rebel Flag towel, suspected kid's. Nothing else. Might be my 12 lb. terror watch dog or one look at the pup and Tv and decide nothing worth stealing in that site.

9. Albert and Melanie

Albert and Melanie The "pup" Palace

Mar 30, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Twice, a fishing pole and lawn chair from Thunderbird SP, and propane tank covers right off the tanks at Eufaula SP.

10. NatureGirl

NatureGirl New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Woodstock, GA
    Not yet...knock on wood....but we're usually not gone from the campsite for more than an hour or two at a time. We leave our dog in the pup during those short periods, which is very effective at discouraging people from snooping around the site. Bikes are always locked to the bumper of the pup when not in use. On trips without our dog, all valuables get locked in the truck. I think thieves are looking for a quick easy grab and move on when they encounter any kind of resistance. Ultimately, anyone really determined to steal will find a way. All you can do is try to make it inconvenient enough that they'll decide it's not worth the effort.

11. turtle

turtle New Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Not yet but like the others we keep valuables out of site, usually locked in tv. Usually never gone more than a couple of hours and never at night. I do lock the bikes when we're not on them and away from the site.

12. erich0521

erich0521 New Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Just once and it was years ago. A very nice cooler was taken from our site. I recall the incident and I am certain it was some teens who had driven thru the CG a few times. They weren't staying there.

I will say this: anything really valuable such as a tv, dvd player, etc we lock in the TV. Fortunately most folks are like minded.

13. slicvickie

slicvickie Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Oakdale, MN
    We've never had anything stolen before, but we did come back from a day trip once and found that someone had come in and pooped in the potty! It obviously wasn't a little kid, and they didn't know how to make it flush either! Yikes!

Haybale likes this.
  14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We've never had anything stolen. For either pup or ground tenting, the only things we keep in the tent (the pup is just a tent on a box & wheels) are bedding and clothing, maybe a flashlight or 2, but we cover those from sight during the day. Books, cameras and the like are kept in the TV. At the table, we do usually have the stove, the water container, maybe a lantern. We put our chairs under the table or in the vestibule when we're not at the site, If we have bikes along, we do lock those. As with most things, the honest people will stay that way and the ones really looking to steal will manage to do so.

The only time we found out about anything being taken was when someone left a cooler to indicate their site was taken (this was a campground that did not have a place to post a receipt), and came back to find someone else in residence. They claimed there was no cooler there when they took the site, though the cooler was found in the trash.

We camp mostly in public campgrounds, and just do our best to keep things safe. There are a couple of areas in the SW where we know things would not be as safe as would be preferable, but we've decided we have enough other places to go/see that we will not go/return to those iffy ones.

15. BaylorWaylor

BaylorWaylor Member

May 27, 2009
    Whitehouse, Tennessee
    Slicvickie, that is gross!! Lol.

16. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Antigonish, Nova Scotia
    So far so good. We do lock the tongue and lock up the PUP when we leave to go into town, hiking etc. premise being that if someone sees an attempt to get into the PUP via something other than the door perhaps it will attract attention? We never leave anything valuable laying around but we dont lock up bikes, chairs etc.

Here's hoping that our good fortune continues.

17. c-mans willi

c-mans willi New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    When DH and I went to PUP dealerships before picking up our 1984 Coleman Williamsburg (hence the c-mans willi username), all of the dealers left their rigs unlocked even on weekends. They told us that if theives thought there was something of value inside, they'd just take a knife to the canvas. In my family's case, the canvas really is more valuable than the contents of our PUP. Geez! We need better stuff!

Redbird934 likes this.
  18. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

The only thing I ever had stolen from a camp site was a hot dog and that was by a dog that had gotten away from its owner. No sooner did the dog grab the hot dog off the grate and take off the owners came running in chasing it. They apologized and offered to bring over some hot dogs to replace the one the dog stole.

But like everyone pointed out we don't "advertise" what we have and lock valuables out of site in the TV.

19. bflentje

bflentje Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Slick Vick, when you come to this years canoe event in Cannon Falls, be sure that dude doesn't follow you.. [:(O]

20. wardog

wardog Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Texas
    Nothing stolen in all my years of camping. We don't usually have anything of real value at the campsite. Valubles locked in TV and the bikes always get locked up if we are away or at night. This year I might have to find a way to lock up my zero gravity chairs. I would be steaming hot to find them gone.