Hauling firewood

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Dback2k4, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    More my style

Attached Files:

jnc and PopUpSteve like this.
  2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Reminds me of The Terminator.

Bowman3d likes this.
  3. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    I’d also rather have logs than the lava rocks, but these are fine and can be replaced if they get too nasty. I chose this one because I got a steal on it in the Bargain Cave in Cabela’s. Otherwise I had had my eye on the Little Red Campfire.

Nope. Just like a gas grill, there is no taste at all, which is a plus and a minus since you don’t get that smoky flavor from wood or charcoal.

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Thanks. That was my thoughts but I was worried about the amount of flame compared to a grill.

5. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
  6. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
  7. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    One reason you mentioned seeking an alternative to hauling in your truck is to avoid having to unload when you get home. This concerns me a little because of the potential for firewood to carry infestations such as carpenter ants and termites. The last thing you would want is to step into your pup and have your foot go through the floor because it's been eaten by pests during the off season.

In my case I haven't yet come across a "pay" campground, whether it be state or national parks, or commercial, where I'm permitted to bring my own firewood. So I've gotten out of the habit of doing so, and just bring along some cash.

If you're camping places where it is permissible to bring your own, it makes sense that you would need a transport solution for it. But a solution that encourages you to leave it within crawling or close flying distance of the pup could someday cause some maintenance grief.

My home's supply of firewood is stored as far from the house as I can without endangering my wooden fence. :)

8. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Iowa
    That's a good point I hadn't considered. I wound up going with the milk crate solution in the bed of the pickup as someone else proposed. There just wasn't a good option on the popup.

Here in Iowa you can haul your own wood into and out of the county parks and state parks as long as it's within the state which is usually where I camp, so I'm following the rules.

arge likes this.
  9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I haul fire wood in a clam shell cargo carrier on the roof of the TV.

Spartacus likes this.
  10. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    I purchased some of those Ceramic Fireplace Logs for my Portable Campfire. I'm going camping this weekend and I'll take some pictures.

11. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Fake log for a fake campfire? It'll probably be a fake picture!

I'M JUST KIDDING! PLEASE DON'T KICK ME OFF OF THE PORTAL!!!

xxxapache and jnc like this.
  12. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    GONE !

13. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    How 'bout just some give me some demerit points and put me on double secret probation.

forddude05 and jnc like this.
  14. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

forddude05, BikeNFish and jnc like this.
  15. Decker

Decker Member

Sep 23, 2011
    If ya'll are having problems with your fire lighting, you can always do what I've taken to doing. Saturate a couple paper towels with vegetable oil and crumple them up in some news paper. The oil burns a long time and doesn't have any chemical binders in it.

Mamie likes this.
  16. Chris Roselle

Chris Roselle New Member

May 13, 2018
    Burlap bags. And we haul them on our roof rack basket.